Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mr8

Question for for the author of the PSX Doom sounds

How do you have extract all the sounds of the PSX version ?
I'm just curious...

these sounds are for the doom64 tc, and are not to be distributed among the community until further notice from elbryan42, thank you.

If he extracts the sounds from the PSX version himself, it's up to him what he does with them surely?

Look for a utility to decode the PSX file system. Check your local ROMz site for help. I think a utility was mentioned in one of the Castlevania SotN FAQs on gamefaqs.com.

mr8 said:

How do you have extract all the sounds of the PSX version ?
I'm just curious...

Sorry to disappoint you but I didn't extract the sounds from the PSX version of Doom. Esco did that if I remeber correctly.

And since Esco is permabanned from these forums you probably have to find him over at Doom Depot.

He is still a nice fellow so go ahead and ask him.

bigbadgangsta said:

Sorry to disappoint you but I didn't extract the sounds from the PSX version of Doom. Esco did that if I remeber correctly.

Oups sorry, I thought you were the maker of the psx sounds wad file,
cause on Elbryan42's site, there's "contributed by Bigbadgangsta"...

I'm pretty sure Esco did the Doom 64 sounds, not the PSX Doom sounds. I remember being one of the people he sent them to right after he made them. I think this was also where Elbryan got the idea to make Doom Depot, or so the legend goes...

Long since Esco ripped the sounds from Doom 64, I've re-ripped them directly from the PSX cd. They sound much better. And no, they can't be distributed until the Doom 64 TC is released. The TC is Top Secret, under quarantine, and nothing will be released to the community until it's released.

elbryan42 said:

Long since Esco ripped the sounds from Doom 64, I've re-ripped them directly from the PSX cd. They sound much better. And no, they can't be distributed until the Doom 64 TC is released. The TC is Top Secret, under quarantine, and nothing will be released to the community until it's released.

OMFG DON'T TEASE US LIKE THAT!!!

elbryan42 said:

ah c'mon. doesnt hurt to show a screenshot!

RailGunner said:

ah c'mon. doesnt hurt to show a screenshot!

Well, doom3 is the most amazing game I've seen so far. Yet releasing a screenshot from it seems to cause a lot of bitching. HMM.

elbryan42 said:

And no, they can't be distributed until the Doom 64 TC is released.

I never said I want them,
just want to know how you have extract them ;)

Did you use a special software (which one ?)
to read PSX files or just by plugging
your playstation in your sound card and record them
one by one ?
(difficult to do that cause many sounds are played together...)

Well, if you have a way to hear all of them separatly,
I'm very interested !

Thanx if you can help me.
Sorry if my American is pretty strange, I'm learning !

Well, I saw this peice of software on The Castlevania Dungeon.. I think it was called PSX media player or something to that effect.
Perhaps that might be useful... I'd leave a URL for it, but I forget where on the Dungeon it is. I can link you to the Dungeon however.

http://www.classicgaming.com/castlevania/

It is SOMEWHERE in there. God only knows where though.

Thanx for your help but I've already tried this one...
On the PSX CD, there are .LCD and .ROM files.

Offtopic, but mr8, did you get those ZDoom demos I sent you? You never said anything about them.

elbryan42 said:

The TC is Top Secret, under quarantine, and nothing will be released to the community until it's released.

Just be careful to not end up like that one dude I saw posting on this forum. He was begging for some hard drive restoring software because he was working on a secret project for like a year and then his hd crashed and he lost all the data. He also said that it was so secret he didn't even bother sending any betas to anyone to test.

Atleast back it up every once in a while on a cdr, because I'm looking forward to it and I wouldn't want it to die. =]

I simply plugged the PSX into the line-in on the sound card using a Y-Cable (2 female RCA ends, one microphone end). That's how I record music, and the old Doom sounds.

As for the PSX sound program, I used PSsound (which I got from Zophar.net). It reads the LCD files. The thing is, the sounds are super fast. But if you decrease the speed with sound recorder, it sounds perfect. On other games, the speed is different. Like Powerslave, which I was ripping the music from. It has the music SUPER slow. Not simply 50% slower. I'm still playing around with them to sound right.

I'm guarding the TC with my life. Backing up, etc. Trust me, it's anything BUT vaporware, and it's being worked on all the time, and will be released as soon as a perfect product is concieved. In fact, we just got someone to do the ambient tracks in midi, for those 56kers. Oops, said too much. :P

elbryan42 said:
guarding the TC with my life. Backing up, etc. Trust me, it's anything BUT vaporware, and it's being worked on all the time, and will be released as soon as a perfect product is concieved. In fact, we just got someone to do the ambient tracks in midi, for those 56kers. Oops, said too much. :P

Eeep.

/me explodes.

I'm looking forward to the Doom64 TC, but I have a concern about it.

This is probably too much trouble, but will it be possible to play with the original Doom sprites? I ask as although some of the Doom 64 sprites look good (the Arachnotron looks good, although I don't lke its brain colour, too cartoonish) IMO, the original ones are for the most part better than the 64 ones.

Livo said:

IMO, the original ones are for the most part better than the 64 ones.

What are you on my friend? The Doom 64 are 500% better than the Doom sprites. Yo, Rob, will the Doom 64 levels be recreated or no?

bigbadgangsta said:

What are you on my friend? The Doom 64 are 500% better than the Doom sprites. Yo, Rob, will the Doom 64 levels be recreated or no?

AFAIK, the Doom 64 levels will be recerated.

Errrr, it's all down to personal taste, but I think that most of the 64 sprites are crap. Compare the Doom 2 Mancubus to the Doom 64 one for example, or the Cacodemon.

mr8 said:

I never said I want them,
just want to know how you have extract them ;)

Did you use a special software (which one ?)
to read PSX files or just by plugging
your playstation in your sound card and record them
one by one ?
(difficult to do that cause many sounds are played together...)

Well, if you have a way to hear all of them separatly,
I'm very interested !

Thanx if you can help me.

IT IS THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE YOU SPEAK, ENGLISH. Don't ever, ever, ever say American ever ever again (one of my pet hates).

I personally love all of the Doom 64 sprites. They blow all of the originals out of the water. However, if you don't like them, keep in mind that the TC will be modular. You don't have to use the sprites if you don't want to. We plan on having everything in seperate wads (and possibly them all in one wad as well) so that you can pick and choose (music, sounds, enemies, textures/flats, levels, etc).

And to answer the question about the levels, yes, we'll be porting over as many of the Doom 64 levels as possible. Some are impossible to do though. And some will be skipped (like the FUN bonus levels and the crappy ones). We already have replacements for some of the levels. But for the most part, the same levels will be used, since they're quite possibly the best Doom levels ever.

And for the recording of the PSX/N64 Sounds/Music I used Soundforge, quite possibly the best sound program out there.

pritch said:

IT IS THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE YOU SPEAK, ENGLISH. Don't ever, ever, ever say American ever ever again (one of my pet hates).

Yeh dawg, Pritch hates it. Watch his color change when his neighbor uses wrong terms, or if he sees it on a tv program or hears it when stood in line waiting to cash a check.