Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AD_79

Nova III - old thread, don't use!

AD_79 said:

I appreciate the offer, scotty! Will keep that in mind.

For Megiddo 3, I'm considering implementing a monster limit for each section to ensure that the map doesn't take too long to play through (especially if it's going on MAP15, which is a great idea, by the way! Maybe the regular exit could open up after playing 3/5 sections while the secret exit would require all five?). What would people say a fair limit would be? I'm thinking 125-150 max per section.

I think this is a good idea, also I agree with Necrum regarding a secret with a switch in each area to open up the secret exit.
Glad to see this project heading in the right direction again, there have been a lot of exciting screenshots so I think this could top the last two instalments.

Ah good to see Nova III back up and running, anyway here's my map from the previous thread: Download here

I wish I could say it's been updated or attended to at all but I've not touched it since October and playing through it again recently I'm rather dissatisfied with it.
Also given the size of some of the other Hell maps I thought it might be best to cut out most of the fat and have a short map as a breather and so I've stuck a teleport behind the starting area to skip to the "future starting point" if that makes sense.

I'm also considering changing it to a Moon-themed map since I reckon we'll get a lack of those during the project and I'm also fairly interested in the textures.

Screenies:

Spoiler

Okay I need some help. I am trying to test my map in PrBoom+ to see how it looks there rather than my usual QZDoom. I have the map saved on MAP16 as that one has a music track that I find appropriate to the theme I am going for, but I can't seem to load the map directly in ZDL. Is there a parameter or a way to open the console and warp straight to my level with PrBoom+?

Thank you, that helped a lot.

I have begun work on my map, which will be titled Cannibal Holocaust. I have been working on just this one room so far as I haven't had a huge amount of time, but I'm liking the results so far.

Spoiler

Blood bath that is seen on spawning. Will open up later on to reach the end using the Red Skull Key, but I haven't implemented that yet.

Doorway that will lead to the meat of the level.

It's amazing how liberating it feels going from the Texture Extravaganza where I have such limited options to this.

Thank you for taking over this project, as for progress going for my map, I don't have enough for screenshots but the current title I have gone for is the "Sacrilegious Keep" With the main focus being a storm the castle type level, where you explore the mountainsides to find a key, then begin slaughtering as many as you can find in the keep.

I intend to make it more exploration focused in the mountainsides, where most (but not all) of the secrets being in this half. Then I will focus towards full on run and gun as many as you can find in the keep. The difficulty of the map will be balanced for the extent of the map, as I don't want it to become too slaughtermap-ish, but at the same time I don't want it to be too casual.

It might take me a while to get screenshots but I'll do the best I can. Cheers bro, and thanks for taking over Nova III for An_Mutt.

Also AD, if you are to allow me, I will be working on my map, as well as other maps with other friends wishing to do the same as a team. Will you allow this sort of thing to this project?

If you're talking about collaborations, then of course they're allowed!

AD_79 said:

If you're talking about collaborations, then of course they're allowed!

Thanks man, glad I can bring my friends along for this project.

@scotty
@rdwpa
Thank you for checking my map! And I watched your demo sometimes then I got how sneaky cyber is. :o
I changed some bar's timing, teleport problems, misalignment textures and so on.

Update map is here.
mapname: "A partner of the 49th day"
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c8kio660s4zvewh/novaiiikura_02.zip?dl=0

Also, about adding custom textures..
I asked an_mutt before and i got yes not on DW thread but on IRC.
So I am sorry to trouble you, but I want an answer from AD_79 about custom textures.

If not, I'll remove some area and I'd like to request resource update a bit.

^ As long as they're named properly (see the OP for how they should be named; you might need to rename yours if they're not like that), custom textures are allowed.

The screenshots look great so far, Amok and NecrumWarrior! I have to ask, Necrum, is your map's title a reference to the cult movie of the same name?

I look forward to more updates on this project, and the Alpha stream!

obake said:

The screenshots look great so far, Amok and NecrumWarrior! I have to ask, Necrum, is your map's title a reference to the cult movie of the same name?

Indeed it is! I actually rewatched it last night for inspiration. I have to say, it's not as good as I remember but I was also baked out of my mind when I watched it before. It still has its value, though. The found footage parts are way better than a lot of modern found footage. The impaled marines at the beginning of my map are a direct nod to the film, but that will probably be the only thing actually used out of the movie haha! Actually, now that I think about it I can probably do an altar of death.

I sketched out some of my basic layout for the map during my lunch yesterday, so I'll be putting some of it together today. I think it'll be pretty sweet.

Out of curiosity, I was wondering about the sources of textures in the pack. It seems like a combination of a bunch of different sets.

Making a run through the Alpha to see what other people have created so far. Playing with QZDoom on HMP.

Untitled by Tactical Stiffy
This map is a joy to play through. The progression is executed really well and the battle locals are all very interesting. I was actually scared a bit when I saw the ceiling coming down. I had to make a hasty retreat but it turned out I was in a safe spot. Enemy placement is great. I'm guessing this will remain an early map in the set, since there are no mid tier enemies, unless you count the Cacodemons. Speaking off, I managed to get a Spectre to attack a Caco at the end. It was glorious!

Calm The Fire by AnonimVio
I loved the very compact design of this level. The way it slowly opened up new areas was very effective at giving a sense of progression given the small size. That aside, you must be a Plutonia fan or something because your enemy usage was very similar in that it created challenge without laying on huge numbers. I doubt I could beat it from pistol start with that Pain Elemental at the beginning though. You don't even get a shotgun before that thing. It was a good thing I had the Chaingun from the previous map.

Untitled by scotty
This map frustrates me. I am not all that great a Doom player, I will be the first to admit it. This map really lays it on thick from the start though, jesus! The Cacodemons outside the beginning area were picking me off over and over while I tried to deal with that first horde in the hall. I eventually caved and used Givehealth so I wouldn't have to do it with 15%. The surprise Mancubus caught me off guard, so good job there. Thankfully, Mancubi look more threatening then they are. I released the extra enemies before taking on the Hell Knight, and the fight in the arena actually kinda reminded me of something from Doom 2016. It was very cool. Then I died again and couldn't be assed to bother doing the intro again so I skipped on to the next map.

Crimson Hollow by MFG38
I like the red brick aesthetic you used, and the weird abstract lava on the ceiling bit was actually a pretty nice touch. My favorite part was when it became My Fist (tm) vs a horde of Pinkies. This map was a huge relief after the last two being as hard as they were. It was not unchallenging but I certainly wasn't under the same pressure.

The Crow Comes Last by Angry Saint
Going to come back to this one. It looks really cool but I want to move into the jungle maps. Will check it out when I am less tired.

El Dorado by Albertoni
Very nice! It almost felt like being in a sort of dreamscape (or nightmare). You never really know where you are or will be. The warp panel section was very cool. I was really feeling the difficulty level for most of the map. The penultimate horde with all the Hell Knights and company took me several tries but it was fun regardless. I was feeling pretty acomplished afterward... until I opened the door and had a Cyberdemon, two Revenants, and what I hope was one Arch-Vile. I didn't save prior to this last fight so I reverted back to before the Hell Knights and gave up. Your architecture and theming are spot on btw.

^^ maybe take a look at my updated map linked in the OP? It appears you played the very, very old version, i think i since added barrels or something in that first corridor, added armour and changed the starting weapon. Of course, nothing wrong with using saves either. Although the rest of the map doesn't necessarily get easier...

^ Yeah I'll check that out. Really the main reason it was going badly for me was that I was playing continuous and had almost no health. I don't mind hard I just hated the way the intro was set up in that version.

NecrumWarrior said:

I opened the door and had a Cyberdemon, two Revenants, and what I hope was one Arch-Vile.

Don't remember HMP and lower, but definitely two on UV, one on each side. Looking back on it, that was a dick move. It's certainly beatable but you're going to get hit at least once by something big on your first time.

Anyway, I followed the rule of "give the player something to look at" and made this starship. Now to sketch the gameplay.

Spoiler

Kurashiki said:

@scotty
@rdwpa
Thank you for checking my map! And I watched your demo sometimes then I got how sneaky cyber is. :o
I changed some bar's timing, teleport problems, misalignment textures and so on.

Update map is here.
mapname: "A partner of the 49th day"
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c8kio660s4zvewh/novaiiikura_02.zip?dl=0

Also, about adding custom textures..
I asked an_mutt before and i got yes not on DW thread but on IRC.
So I am sorry to trouble you, but I want an answer from AD_79 about custom textures.

If not, I'll remove some area and I'd like to request resource update a bit.

Here's a faster playthrough, for the new version. Exit in 19:xx. (The strategy I use at the end is a bit too aggressive/unplanned. :D It was very exciting though.) I didn't look for the fireblu secret in this demo, but it's very creative.

I noticed the megapshere secret at the end has two sectors tagged secret, and one can't be registered, at least in prBoom+.

^ Placement for maps beyond the episode they are located in is yet to be determined. As for "will your map be included": I'd need to play it to be 100% sure, but from what I've seen of it, most likely (and as stated previously, it looks like secret map material, so let's say MAP32 for now).

Okay,

Here's the alpha version of my map, which I've decided to call Torn as in torn asunder, since it's somewhat of an homage to Sunder.

It only includes Ultra Violence difficulty. I'll have to figure out how I want to make the lower difficulties work.

Map is on slot 12

It is a slaughter map, at least the UV version is, so keep that in mind.

Anyone that can stream on twitch whilst testing it, please let me know, I'd love to watch.

Image pack: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-yJ-Ip74OJtWHpqRzdtbF9PMzg
Map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-yJ-Ip74OJtOFR6WUVzWUtrc00

Any insights/recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Praise is nice too.

Robert

^ Will have a look when I have the time. Thanks for the submission!

Speaking of limited time, I've decided to put off finishing the alpha compilation until next weekend when I'm not quite so flooded with real life stuff (which I mostly put off to today for whatever reason ¯\_(ツ)_/¯). I appreciate your patience. It will be up in a week, though!

I guess we could have this meggiddo as the middlemost map, maybe a bit "void" themed for it's hub. The void theme would allow mappers to go with whatever they like for their section; as the implication is broken up terrain and, well, voids.

Also it makes co-operative mapping easier and such.

Hey MarketAnarchy, I played (some of) your map.

I suspected this when you showed me the map on your stream, but playing it confirmed my hunch—this map is too much. Took me 20 minutes to get about a fifth of the way through the monster count, and by that time I was so fatigued that I simply quit there. That’s not to say it’s a bad map; I actually think you’ve made a super impressive Sunder tribute that a lot of people are going to like, but regarding NOVA III (I can’t speak personally for AD, mind you) this is absolutely way too crazy and intense for a community megawad project. I mean, it could probably be slotted in MAP32 if need be, but it is absolutely going to be the most divisive map of the set, and IMO it's not going to be properly appreciated here.

That’s why you should probably take this and do a solo release, so you can get more feedback from classic slaughter aficionados. They’re likely to provide insight that’s far more appropriate than I and many others can provide. That, and I really think you should keep/refine the gameplay rather than try any attempts to "dumb it down" for other people, as I think the stressful and frantic design of the encounters fits the opulent and foreboding architecture well.

Barring that, there's a couple of minor things you probably need to look at—like how any DR doors are opened by monsters and might trigger more fights than the player wants to currently engage in, or that you should probably hand out the BFG earlier because rocketing a horde of hundreds of cacos isn't exactly thrilling gameplay. I'd probably have more constructive feedback to give if I played through the whole thing, but I just don't have the strength to handle +1 hour maps currently.

MarketAnarchy i know i told you i'd test the map but to be honest the shit basically hits the fan with that mega Cacoswarm for me, this map is way beyond my ability - and that is me playing without infinite height actors.

My best advice is to perhaps contact the guys in charge of SlaughterFest 3 (Ribbiks/Demonologist) about submitting the map to that project and see what they think? It would be much better suited to it and you'd get feedback from the right guys that the map needs. It is clear how much work has gone into this map and it'd be a shame for it to go unappreciated in the long run.

11 hours ago, dobu gabu maru said:

DR doors are opened by monsters and might trigger more fights than the player wants to currently engage in, or that you should probably hand out the BFG earlier because rocketing a horde of hundreds of cacos isn't exactly thrilling gameplay. I'd probably have more constructive feedback to give if I played through the whole thing, but I just don't have the strength to handle +1 hour maps currently.

Thanks Dobu Gabu Maru, Scotty and JohnSuitePee for your insights. I'll look at other options for distributing my map.

Re insights Dobu, I'll check on the doors to make sure that's not happening, I can think of one door that it is. I think I'll move the "drop the walls of doom" switches to inside the area where the BFG is found. 

Anyone looking to test the map, in the first room you drop into, you can see the BFG. Go get it, get it right away.

Robert

I'd also recommend ditching the PG crusher trap, as its punishing enough to try and bum rush that spot that the crushers are kind of an unnecessary/mean addition. Got some other comments too but I'll save them for when I play through it for reals.