Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AD_79

Nova III - old thread, don't use!

6 hours ago, Chainworm666 said:

Here are some screenshots of my map I'm working right now. Basically it's the same map I started a while ago, but this time for the "Moon" episode.

Spoiler

18156630_1864750077112931_1523776950736902886_o.png

I saw that first screenshot and my first thought was "man, those wires on the floor remind me so much of Chainworm Kommando" then I read your username. Heh.

Need a bit of help. The room the player start is in has some incredible slime trails in prboom. As in, fill-your-screen big. Anyone got an idea how to fix this? (Map's in MAP21 slot)

Any general critique about the level would be interesting too; You're supposed to start in the room with the spaceship. The map isn't done beyond one room after you return to the ship, there's a final third to be made where the huge battles will take place so don't mind the areas not lending themselves to a battle yet. A tentative name for the map is "The Ship That Wore a Mask", heh.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/is5q57sipa2qgb1/MAP21.wad?dl=1

Not sure what to really do with the pseudo-hub-map of the megidd i was doing; probably to scrap. The concept was a bit ridiculous anyway. I don't have prb, but i'll check the map regardless for neat factor.

Ah yes, more of the mentally stunning detailing present in your shrooms wads and the like; with portals and use of other details and transparencies that most wouldn't pick up on.

You continue to intrigue people; certainly some things people could pick up on

Edited by SArais

10 hours ago, SArais said:

Not sure what to really do with the pseudo-hub-map of the megidd i was doing; probably to scrap. The concept was a bit ridiculous anyway.

I could try and make something out of it. I've got quite a few things up my sleeve from discarded maps from Shrooms 2 (I swear, Mordeth Ep 2 will come out before Shrooms 2 in this rhythm). I was saving those tricks and concepts for something deserving of it. A MAP30 for a compilation sounds like a good time to pull them out.

What do you mean by your last statement? I'm not quite sure if it's positive or negative, heh.

On 11/05/2017 at 2:39 AM, AD_79 said:

Alright Scotty, I'll be sure to remove Behemoth from the next compilation. A shame though, as it's a pretty damn cool map.

I just don't think any E1 needs one hour long map let alone 2! Don't worry got a collab (sort of) Moon map somewhere in the pipeline to make up for it.

12 hours ago, Albertoni said:

Need a bit of help. The room the player start is in has some incredible slime trails in prboom. As in, fill-your-screen big. Anyone got an idea how to fix this? (Map's in MAP21 slot)

Any general critique about the level would be interesting too; You're supposed to start in the room with the spaceship. The map isn't done beyond one room after you return to the ship, there's a final third to be made where the huge battles will take place so don't mind the areas not lending themselves to a battle yet. A tentative name for the map is "The Ship That Wore a Mask", heh.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/is5q57sipa2qgb1/MAP21.wad?dl=1

Weird one that, cause it only happens in prB and is not a software rendering thing... i tried a few solutions but to no avail. I don't know if it might just be the sky transfer acting up...

11 hours ago, SArais said:

Not sure what to really do with the pseudo-hub-map of the megidd i was doing; probably to scrap. The concept was a bit ridiculous anyway. I don't have prb, but i'll check the map regardless for neat factor.

Care to share or preview it rather than scrapping it without showing anyone? :P

3 hours ago, Albertoni said:

I could try and make something out of it. I've got quite a few things up my sleeve from discarded maps from Shrooms 2 (I swear, Mordeth Ep 2 will come out before Shrooms 2 in this rhythm). I was saving those tricks and concepts for something deserving of it. A MAP30 for a compilation sounds like a good time to pull them out.

What do you mean by your last statement? I'm not quite sure if it's positive or negative, heh.

Oh, just that there's a lot of things in your wads that I don't think I've seen elsewhere.

Done a variety of tweaks to this; considering this is a meggiddo concept; it's obviously a multi-person map.

The HOMs in the void-takeaway-themed hub-hall are intentional; but I was looking for ways to make them look better; they're mostly attempts at tweaking it and using it in a manner like Count Trakula.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/784q09l6mhe6t5e/megiddo3.wad?dl=0

I couldn't really think of much to go with; so i set up a couple of halls for others to work with and they can bridge/add/remove as applicable and tried to mix a couple of textures together to give people ideas.

Considering this is also a hub map, though; we could possibly use it as a link for any "overflow" maps that surpass the 32 maps.

Edited by SArais

10 hours ago, Scotty said:

Weird one that, cause it only happens in prB and is not a software rendering thing... i tried a few solutions but to no avail. I don't know if it might just be the sky transfer acting up...

It disappears if I compile the map with extended nodes, so yeah, it's definitely the worst case of slime trails I've seen.

Here's a pic for you all to see, and no, it gets worse if you look away from the complex geometry in the middle:

Spoiler

Image1.thumb.jpg.f056464a4d47e51eaeb59ad254c269bf.jpg

What do you say, @AD_79, should I rework the area completely or can we say "MAPxx won't work in prboom, only prboom+ and other ports that support ZDoom's extended nodes"?

I'd prefer to avoid extended nodes where possible (ZDaemon among other things does not support them, correct?). I'll look at the map and see if I can figure out a solution.

13 minutes ago, AD_79 said:

ZDaemon among other things does not support them, correct?

Anything that isn't ZDoom 2.5.0+, GZDoom 1.5.0+, PrBoom+ 2.5.0.7+, Eternity Engine 3.39.20+, Crispy Doom 2.3+ and Doom Retro 1.8+, if the wiki is right. ZDaemon definitely doesn't, but I believe Zandronum 3 isn't listed but supports them, since it supports UDMF.

I was planning on fiddling with the slime trails as the last thing to do, when the general shape of the map is in place. Half of the slime trails in one map of mine disappeared just by moving the area some good 10000 units to the side. Really, don't worry with it right now unless you got time and willpower to spare.

Hell, just while I was typing this out, I got some ideas on how to at least minimize the effect, if what I know about slime trails is right.

Anyway, thanks for the input. :)

Edit: Got it

Edited by SArais : It doesn't say on the wiki to use the join/merge commands. That's pretty vital!

18 minutes ago, SArais said:

How the hell do you DO multi-sector elevators/lifts/whatever via sector-setlinks and static inits anyway? I've been trying to bruteforce it with every combination of the two I could conceive for the past couple of days when the ZDoom wiki didn't help me, with little results.

I've only done it once, quite a while ago. I might not be 100% right, but I believe it's like this:

51:Sector_SetLink (controltag, tag, surface, movetype)

Make a dummy sector with tag 100. That's your control sector and controltag. Tag the multi-sector lift with 101, that's your tag. When you want to use the lift, move sector tag 100. Anything tagged 101 will follow the sector tagged 100. If using plain lift/platform actions, you'll need another dummy sector, at the same height as you want the linked sector to move to. Surface and movetype should be clear enough on the wiki.

Oddly, I only needed 2 dummy sectors; one per sector variance outside of the lift detail; then again i merged them after setting them up.

working now it seems.png

I appreciate the assistance regardless. Maybe the malfunctioning door present in two of my wads (you played one of them already) will be of use to you? Just thought I'd try to return the favor a bit.

Well i am leaving this project.
"The reason?"-you ask?
I want to take a break from not just doom mapping but doom in general.

Id like to join this Project

Considering that im new to this type of format

I want to see what i can do with it

Generator Alpha.zip

Edit: I  have a map for it now and id like to have feedback on it

Edited by Redead-ITA : Updated again add a lower umpeg to a door, and fixed graphics for secret

On 24/05/2017 at 1:34 PM, Redead-ITA said:

Id like to join this Project

Considering that im new to this type of format

I want to see what i can do with it

Generator Alpha.zip

Edit: I  have a map for it now and id like to have feedback on it

Sorry, forgot to record a demo. Anyway...

A bit short, but definitely pretty good.

Difficulty on UV feels fine, other than the Barons of Hell. I'd replace each with two Hell Knights for a harder fight with the same ammo usage, personally.

HMP feels way too easy, you might want to switch the SSG for a chaingun and add some imps.

Easy difficulty has actually more enemies than HMP, heh.

Not a fan of the secret random backpack, an armor would be better considering how the map has almost no health.

Now for some visual nagging...

Spoiler

nqlgvGz.png

Those lights here? Looks plain sloppy that they're just thrown in there without care for alignment. The idea is good though, just got to align them properly. There are some misaligned textures on the computers (you can see one on the left of the picture).

Also, see those computers? You could lower the sector brightness and use action 261: Change Ceiling Brightness so that the computers cast a shadow on the floor but not on the ceiling, that'd look real nice.

7Dxol2O.png

This room looks nice, but the wall on the back is too plain. Play with some texturing, divide it into 32, 64 or 128-size lines and change the textures a bit. Maybe do the same to the rest of the room?

PZUHRcZ.png

Not a fan of this secret's look. It's not bad, but it looks lazy. Oh, and those textures on the side of the machinery? Great choice. :)

Mrhy4sx.png

A little texture error here, you'll want to check Lower Unpegged and align them.

MNHizUl.png

More misalignment...

0wjVRe3.png

This is a thing I personally HATE. Doors should never use the same ceiling texture as the ceiling around them. A different floor and ceiling on the stairs part would look add a lot too.

Thank you for the feedback

i fixed most of the issues and most of the visual naggings

i also added a couple of health packs because it kinda felt there was a lack of it

Generator Alpha SI.zip

Now for the visual naggings i have fixed the following:

Spoiler

-Beggining part lights and computers (But didnt know how to put the action 261 well sadly

-The Brown room textures now has some variety (random variety of metal texture but still variety)

-The unsetted lower umpegged trap

-Most of the texture allignments

-and now all the doors (so does the trap doors, and secret door) have a unique Floor and ceeiling for it

you are welcome

Edit: updated visual thanks to albertoni, i didnt understand it at first but now i do thanks again

Note: Its not 100% complete in terms of Graphical update considering that it lacks of the animated Forcefield and Skybox for it, other than that the gameplay is the same, and once updated i will add the dehacked patch to the zip

Edited by Redead-ITA

Sorrysorrysorry for disappearing on you all. I effed up. I went into a slump and then real life took over. Next week I'll have off and then I promise to get Dante allegory out.

sorrysorrysorry if I caused any harm. I am actually dependable in real life.

On 6/14/2017 at 9:26 AM, NeedHealth said:

Sorrysorrysorry for disappearing on you all. I effed up. I went into a slump and then real life took over. Next week I'll have off and then I promise to get Dante allegory out.

sorrysorrysorry if I caused any harm. I am actually dependable in real life.

No worries. Everyone in this project is given plenty of time to submit and update entries.

I look forward to playing your map!

Here's the latest post on my map Dante Allegory including a new link as the old one on the front page is dead.

Okay. Third times a charm. Fixed some erogenous erroneous textures and what not. I realised that you would end up with a lot of CH bullets left if you played it safe with SSG so I tried to mitigate that. Strange that I didn't caught it before ... .

Basically what is left is play testing. I try to make sure that the player has about 30-40 bullets left after each encounter - not counting the goodie area of course. This has turned into a bit of a headache when I realised that enemies also drop ammo. Thank Satan there is no crushers that the ammo can disappear under ... . The difficulty testing is pretty much nailed on "I'm to young to die" and "Ultra-Violence" settings, the others ("Hey, not to rough" and "Hurt me plenty") - not so much. So please play this map at these two skill settings at first !

I am not bothering with doing Nightmare testing at all for obvious reasons.

Please record an .lmp if you play my map !

Link.

Edited by NeedHealth

Thank you ! I'll try to make the outside teleporter and the switch that activates it more obvious.

You where close a couple times to getting a secret, the berserker powerup if I remember correctly - for the last encounters.

Latest version Beta_3

I fixed a number of random errors - texture, trigger and bug. I tried to make the outside teleporter more obvious. Please tell me if I succeeded in that. I might add some more secrets, currently it is two + the RL.

Link + some slightly old screenshots.

NeedHealth Dante Allegory Nova III Beta_3

NeedHealthScreen012017.png

NeedHealthScreen022017.png

NeedHealthScreen032017.png

Edited by NeedHealth

2 hours ago, NeedHealth said:

I fixed a number of random errors - texture, trigger and bug. I tried to make the outside teleporter more obvious. Please tell me if I succeeded in that. I might add some more secrets, currently it is two + the RL.

Ah yes, the classic "I forgot to put the player start back where it's supposed to be after testing."

That said, the level became a very hard and interesting fight with the player start there. I'd actually consider leaving the UV player start there, and put a start for normal and medium on the intended place.

And yeah, the torches help a bit.

54 minutes ago, Albertoni said:

I'd actually consider leaving the UV player start there, and put a start for normal and medium on the intended place.

Unfortunately different player starts only work in certain source ports. Vanilla, Limited, and Boom levels will always have the player start in a specific spot, regardless of difficulty setting.

Shame, but thanks for the info.

As a quick status update for my map, I'm struggling with the final arena of my map. I got the gameplay down pretty well (can't beat it without a pair of saves on UV, while using less than 70 monsters :D) but the area looks like poop:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20170616_234315.png

Screenshot_Doom_20170616_234311.png

Arachnotrons and Mancubi. Then some choice Arch Vileness and a Cyberdemon after you get some proper cover, other than the invisible tower in the middle. No BFG unless you find the very hidden easter egg I promised I'd add for a friend.

6 hours ago, Albertoni said:

Ah yes, the classic "I forgot to put the player start back where it's supposed to be after testing."

That said, the level became a very hard and interesting fight with the player start there. I'd actually consider leaving the UV player start there, and put a start for normal and medium on the intended place.

And yeah, the torches help a bit.

What obake said, thanks for catching that. I fixed it. I am anl retentive when it comes to details and this gave me anguish. :-P I guess I spoiled every map change now.

I was a bit uncertain how to telegraph to the player what I wanted them to do and I think I overdid it but whatever.

Hi there people, I FINALLY finished my map today. I did a lot of play testing today and I guess it's ready to publish.

I occupied map slot 27 because it was free and it's supposed to be part of the moon episode, it can be chanced to whatever you want ;)

Tested with PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4

Here's the download:

"pure" version, map only: http://chainworm.de/files/terramin.rar

"full" version including the Nova III texture pack for instant play testing: http://chainworm.de/files/terramin-full.rar

Please share any bugs, problems etc. you encounter or any other kind of feedback.

Some more screenshots:

Spoiler

doom01.jpgdoom03.jpgdoom06.jpgdoom10.jpgdoom13.jpgdoom15.jpgdoom02.jpg

Edited by Chainworm666

@NeedHealth Demo for you

Yeah, that teleporter still wasn't intuitive at all. You could simply move the switch 180 degrees and just have it on a small 32x32 face - this way the player can see something moving when the switch is activated. Also, i think that teleporter should be one-way, i nearly got unexpectedly nailed in a really cheap way cause i accidentally went back through it (see demo).

@Chainworm666 Demo for you

I don't understand why you had to force all 3 episode themes into this map, it didn't add anything to it. In fact it felt like two completely unrelated maps mashed together. While the first half suffered from a lot of standard width corridor combat there was at least a sense of exploration, and it could be cool to expand upon that. Additionally it felt as though the first half was way, way more detailed and considered, making the second half feel lazy in comparision (loads of square rooms bolted together isn't that interesting). The first half was perhaps even too detailed - floors are jarring to run across and walls easy to get caught on. You can make the floors 'flat' using some boom tricks that still keep the detail, if this sounds interesting to you i can give you advice on how to do it, and you can smooth out walls a bit using impassable linedefs although it's not an ideal solution imo. My outright advice... i'd ditch the second half of the map and expand the first half, make existing areas less cramped and corridor based, and add some new areas to it that aren't square rooms or corridors. The map does have cool potential though.

@Scotty I flipped the switch around, thanks for the suggestion.

I don't know why but it seems that in the maps I make each linedef in, for example, a square with all sides connected with the same tag is treated as an instance and not as the whole square, which means you get clonking sounds four times. Anyone know whats up with that or if it is a setting in prboom 25-14 I need to  change.

Edited by NeedHealth

49 minutes ago, NeedHealth said:

@Scotty I flipped the switch around, thanks for the suggestion.

I don't know why but it seems that in the maps I make each linedef in, for example, a square with all sides connected with the same tag is treated as an instance and not as the whole square, which means you get clonking sounds four times. Anyone know whats up with that or if it is a setting in prboom 25-14 I need to  change.

No worries, hopefully it's easier now and a more elegant solution than arrows on the floor... :P

I don't understand what you mean with the second part, is this something on the same map? Can you elaborate with a screen from the editor or ingame or whatever?