Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AD_79

Nova III - old thread, don't use!

No worries, I'm surprised at how fleshed out it is actually - I feel like it wouldn't need much more added to make a nice shorter kind of map here. I don't have that much time for mapping though and it looks like E3 is pretty packed anyway? Well, if not here then it wouldn't be out of place in my own WAD with some retexturing. Thanks for giving it a go though, I appreciate it :)

Great to see this picking up steam again, thanks to @AD_79 and @an_mutt for not letting this die and good luck to @Scotty!

About your PM Scotty, you're right I did make a hell map for this but you'd have a hard time convincing me to post it again. It had the usual naive first map quirks - way too much detail, testing in a modern port, made in the wrong format and generally overstays its welcome - in short its quite dreadful!

Luckily I've been slowly chipping away at a moon themed map for this over the past couple months and I recently got a surge of inspiration at work so hopefully I'll have much more to show during the weekend!

Screenshot_Doom_20171116_174713.png

Screenshot_Doom_20171116_174745.png

Screenshot_Doom_20171116_174916.png

I'm afraid to join lol
I haven't mapped in years and it would take a while to get warmed up

plus I never released any of the better ones

On 11/14/2017 at 2:20 PM, Scotty said:

edit - one thing i am looking for is a potential map01, something short and fast paced with low tier monsters... i don't think we currently have a true map01 style map in the set, personally.

Dunno if it's still up for grabs, but I'd like to take a shot at doing Map01 for this project.

@Eris Falling i guess i felt that the grand entrance to the map was deserving of a pretty decent sized adventure to go with it. There's definitely space in E3 if you find time to finish it up...

@amok that's cool man, look forward to seeing what you come up with.

@A2Rob go for it man.

People should not really worry about map spots at this time, just keep making shit and if you get it done we'll try to find a way to get it in the project one way or another. I think some maps potentially fit in more than one episode anyway so things are a bit flexible (generally speaking that only applies between a few E1/E2 maps).

E3 is still the episode most in need for maps!! I spoke to Ethan and he has basically abandoned his map, and Spectre's map could end up as map32 depending on a few things.

Hi again :) My map isn't done yet (it's only about 25%ish done) but I feel like there is enough content to at least get some initial feedback on it. I'm not sure if it's exactly good form to ask for feedback on WIP maps but I'm going to anyway 😁 Here is what I have so far

edit: oh yeah this uses textures from the Nova 3 texture pack so make sure you load it with that or you will get homs all over the place :(

trf_nova3_wip.zip

Edited by therektafire

Is it okay if I include at least 1 slaughtermap? not really it sort of a macro slaughtermap , 

Screenshot_Doom_20171127_110630.png.d8bf54a6d8ef1d02d01cd746640ae797.png

Finally have a version ready for testing: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bj1jh1k9mr1mlrg/SolarPoweredRC1.wad?dl=1

Name: Solar Powered

Intended slot: MAP31, has custom sky (by Mechadon, modified by me for vertical tiling)

Tested with: PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4 (-cl9), GZDoom 3.1, High Noon Drifter

Difficulty: all implemented

Requirements: Nova 3 Resources

Music: "The Strange Machinery of Ancient Religious Sites" by me (WIP)

Description: Oh great, now the UAC is researching solar energy. Deep in the Amazon, no less...

Features:

• Light puzzles (in more than one sense!) with Boom-based "machinery"
  • Fully implemented difficulty settings. The experience is *very* different depending on the skill level. DW regulars should try UV first, though. 
  • A difficult, mysterious path to the super-secret level

Credits:

Spoiler

--inspirations--

• The Given by dobu gabu maru and Rebel Sky by valkiriforce for making me love Doom puzzles. ITYTD & HNTR difficulties are in tribute to dobu's monsterless masterpiece
  • Ribbiks' lighting demonstration wad
  • Brotherhood of Ruin by Kirstian Aro for jaw-dropping Mayan temple aesthetics
  • Evolution of the Wad Ep. 9 on the Boom engine for giving me a new appreciation for the technical details behind my all-time favorite megawad, Mouldy's Going Down, which inspired much of the Boom machinery here
  • Deus Vult II by Huy Pham for hipping me to huge vistas and secret slaughter battles. Special thanks to the DW Megawad Club for introducing me to this crazy set
  • The Witness
  • Impossible: A New Reality by JK for opening my eyes to non-Euclidean weirdness in the world of Doom
  • Suburbs (MAP16) by Sandy Peterson and the Switcheroom Remake ("Sector Zeta" by Getsu Fune) for combat inspiration when I hit a block

Screenshots:

Spoiler

sp1.jpg.61549b607190b67a33c326279a890f38.jpgsp2.jpg.0cb7e728ac2836aafb20d51dcbef8591.jpgsp3.jpg.8f3c8a529f1b17c033450b51f7c195fb.jpgsp4.jpg.816badbc032be71a2166278d785ed09e.jpgsp5.jpg.f64d981d33ca557e2faf4f1ebba76c26.jpgsp6.jpg.915704b3f208cf6f98676dceae2dca89.jpgsp7.jpg.7d3fde2270836755a2ac5048dd275609.jpgsp8.jpg.2c5c831409401b97b410460eb960f778.jpgsp9.jpg.294b89fc2b6667202ae871179a3852d6.jpgsp10.jpg.9e5c12c0c81a2a0b6ab969301065199d.jpgsp12.jpg.bf1dcb84984578e40433a2a2460f92db.jpg

Edited by Big Ol Billy : more and better screens

On 25/11/2017 at 9:36 PM, Suitepee said:

So how's NOVA 3 coming along, now that the year is starting to draw to a close?

Getting there... around 25 maps are submitted. I have to clear some existing mapping commitments before i can fully focus on taking over the running of this project. I'm hoping to get this released before next summer but let's see how it goes...

On 26/11/2017 at 3:55 PM, A7MAD said:

Is it okay if I include at least 1 slaughtermap? not really it sort of a macro slaughtermap , 

I will readily consider slaughter-lite style maps (think some of the Ancient Aliens maps) for E3 and possibly the map32 slot but i am keen to keep a lid on monster counts and difficulty (and general time it takes to complete maps). So no intense/massive Sunder style maps here, they just wouldn't fit in the project anyway.

On 26/11/2017 at 4:49 PM, Big Ol Billy said:

**Solar Powered**

Just played through the map casually, some cool stuff here, and very fitting for that secret map slot! I'll have to replay it to find all the secrets (and the secret exit). I think there is scope to fine tune some of the fights, but i'll have to play the map more times first.

I am currently working on E3 at the moment .

I stopped my e1 project due to lack of slot .

Are there still open slots available in Episode 3? I started making a map for the Doomworld Mega Project 2017 but after looking at this I feel like that map would work better here.

E3 definitely needs more maps.

14 minutes ago, Scotty said:

E3 definitely needs more maps.

Okay, the map I started for the Doomworld Mega Project already happened to be moon themed, which is perfect. I'll need to install Boom now, but I'm looking forward to seeing how that sourceport handles.

Which IWAD is this being made for? I assume it's Doom 2 like most mapsets are. I was using a lot of textures from TNT in my map, but now that I'm thinking of putting the map here I'll swap those out in favour of what is included with the resource pack.

I'm not sure when I'll be able to work on my map since I've got other important things to worry about at the moment, so I don't know when I'll be able to show screenshots or release early builds of the map.

I hope you aren't counting the version of my map I put a couple of posts up as a submission... it is just a work in progress version which I hoped I could get some feedback on to see what's good and not so good about it so far but no one wants to say anything about it apparently :(

6 minutes ago, therektafire said:

I hope you aren't counting the version of my map I put a couple of posts up as a submission... it is just a work in progress version which I hoped I could get some feedback on to see what's good and not so good about it so far but no one wants to say anything about it apparently :(

It's hard to give meaningful feedback on something so incomplete but having just gone and checked it out, i suggest you refer to my above post on the stance of slaughtermaps being in this set...

24 minutes ago, therektafire said:

I did briefly check out your map. It's kinda hard to comment on in its current state, but I think it has promise. The style is on point for a hell map (though textures haven't been aligned) and the one slaughter battle you have now is simple but fun.

I think there are a few things that could improve that fight (can't speak to the others, I didn't get a chance to noclip and look at them). As I see it, it comes down to how you want to use the arch-viles. Right now, the fight is initially a matter of hunting down the viles. That aspect is fun, but there's little margin for error--2 blasts pretty much always kill you and there's almost no cover, since the pavilion is hard to get back on. That means that keeping the viles distracted via infighting is the main realistic option, but for me it's pretty finicky and leads to a lot of random-seeming instakills. As rdwpa has said before, a lot of the fun in games comes from working to manage that precarious state between clear success and clear failure. In this specific fight, I think you would get more of that from some combination of the following:

--more and dispersed health, so that you can survive a few vile blasts but you have to stay mobile and dodge a bunch of enemies skillfully to do so.

--more cover, so that the player has to balance hiding behind structures to stay safe from vile blasts with being vulnerable to other enemies that rip you up if you're not constantly mobile. Making the central pavilion accessible from many sides might help here

-- ammo and weapons dispersed throughout the space rather than offered up front, again making the player navigate some tricky risk/reward situations as they move around

30 minutes ago, Big Ol Billy said:

I think there are a few things that could improve that fight (can't speak to the others, I didn't get a chance to noclip and look at them).

Crap I forgot to move the player start back to the beginning of the map, that would have been pretty good to do probably... I edited the map in the post to fix that. Also I will take your suggestions to consideration for the slaughter encounter @Big Ol Billy and I will take @Scotty's suggestion to not have very many more fights like that in the map :D

Are there any more slots for E1? Already started making one, but I haven't done much of the detail yet so I'd be able to repurpose it into a jungle map if need be, the architecture could really fit either-or.

Okay, so I've made considerable progress with my map and it's just about done. There's still a little work to be done regarding texturing and monster/ammo balancing, and there might be a few nooks you can get stuck in or get out of bounds but for the most part its reckon is final.

Now for a well-deserved rest aka onto JOM5!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l1e179wjep2bv95/nova3-deepspace9mm.wad?dl=1

- updated 02/12

Let me know what you think!

Name: Deep Space 9mm

Music: Carson City from 'Wild Guns'

Tested in PrBoom+ and Zdoom

Screenshot_Doom_20171201_212800.png

Screenshot_Doom_20171201_213004.png

Screenshot_Doom_20171201_213138.png

Screenshot_Doom_20171201_213204.png

Edited by amok

1 hour ago, amok said:

Okay, so I've made considerable progress with my map and it's just about done. There's still a little work to be done regarding texturing and monster/ammo balancing, and there might be a few nooks you can get stuck in or get out of bounds but for the most part its reckon is final.

Is the yellow key missing?

Also there is no single rocket.

3 hours ago, lirui1001 said:

Is the yellow key missing?

No, the Yellow Key is not missing, but it didn't show up for me either. It looks like it's supposed to teleport in. There are seven different teleport linedefs, but they all lead to the same sector. I'm thinking its landing spot was blocked when it hit its last teleport linedef and there's no loop to take it back through again.

Edit: I clipped through and saw that it wasn't just the Yellow Key. There were also a bunch of Cell Packs and Medikits in that same closet that didn't teleport in.

Edited by EffinghamHuffnagel

My map is progressing pretty nicely as well, I just added an area for the red skull the other day (no slaughter fight in here but it's not exactly devoid of enemies either :]) and after I finish that off I will start work on the area which is supposed to be the main attraction of the map :)

7 hours ago, EffinghamHuffnagel said:

No, the Yellow Key is not missing, but it didn't show up for me either. It looks like it's supposed to teleport in. There are seven different teleport linedefs, but they all lead to the same sector. I'm thinking its landing spot was blocked when it hit its last teleport linedef and there's no loop to take it back through again.

Edit: I clipped through and saw that it wasn't just the Yellow Key. There were also a bunch of Cell Packs and Medikits in that same closet that didn't teleport in.

Hmm that's odd. I was worried that there may be an issue with items teleporting in but when it worked on PrBoom+ I assumed it would be fine. I'd even added extra teleport lines specifically for the yellow key as a backup but it sounds like even those didn't work! I wonder if items can't teleport on top of monsters? I do recall hearing something like that.

Anyway, I've changed the ordering so the items teleport in first and this seems to work - but then again the last version worked for me so I hope its fixed! That fight would be particularly nasty without those items too.

9 hours ago, lirui1001 said:

The plasmagun doesn't get enough love in my opinion, and the space theme suits it so well that I wanted it to be the main weapon. This might be a problem for continuous play but we can tackle that issue once we're closer to compiling.

Thanks guys!

Updated version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l1e179wjep2bv95/nova3-deepspace9mm.wad?dl=1

2DA for that (I'd made it to the fight for the YK in the previous version -- it's a good idea to make basically anything that teleports into the map via a scroller loop, even if it doesn't look like it could be conceivably blocked). One thing that stood out is the backpack placement -- there end up being lots of cells in the YK fight to backtrack for, so that could appear earlier. Pretty cool map.

n3d9m_rd_fda.zip

Edited by rdwpa

Alright, after this update, the map is finally playable.

Map candidate: Deep Space 9mm by @amok

Can UV Max be done?-Yes.

Time: 12:43-deepspace-1243.zip

Youtube video: Deep Space 9mm UV Max in 12:43

A mimic of Lunatics. There are two main difficult parts in this map. The first is the yellow key area. You have to kill the two AVs as fast as you can or you have nowhere to hide from them after the platforms are lowered.

The second is the cyberdemon area. And the most annoying part is not the 2 cyberdemons, but the AV on the top because you have almost nowhere to hide. Also the switches on the platforms are hard to flip and I don't know why they are designed like this.

Also the 3 arachnatrons at far distance are also annoying because there is no rocket launcher or BFG in this map, you have to kill them one by one and the process is pretty slow.

And WTF is this? Look at the chaingunner and a dead imp!

I know it is actually a platform and will lower down once you grab SSG, but it disappeared in void before you do that.

5a23158c1c66f_QQ20171202155559.png.b6b96a96086e04750fc16eb329b11bfb.png

So I finally got around to making an opener for the first episode, I hope!

Map Name: Port Murder

Midi: "Coal" by James Paddock.

Tested in GZ/ZDoom and PrBoom+. Hopefully there are less issues compared to my other map.

Requires the nova3 texture pack.

Difficulty levels are also included.

So yeah, let me know what you all think, and whether this makes a proper Map01 for the project.

Screenshot_Doom_20171223_194408.png.d09a470c1fa56fa5c3a1c1dd55c57918.png

Edited by A2Rob

Good stuff all - sorry for not posting any feedback or anything, i am trying to get other things (especially the new thread - i need to stay organised) in place first, so i will get around to things when i can. Expect a new thread before 2017 is out and within that i will include an alpha build of everything submitted thus far.