Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xyzzу

A thread's message icon

Does "IDDQD" and "FUNDERFUL" ever get used?
Also, why does it default to "DUMB"?

Xyzzy01 said:

why does it default to "DUMB"?

Chances are, the thread will be dumb :D

Xyzzy01 said:

I've seen the latter get some use on occasion, but not so much the former.

The icons are overally quite useless anyway. Most of them have names so vague that it doesn't really say anything about the thread's supposed content, and many people including myself never (or no longer anymore) bother with selecting a non-default one when creating a new thread.

ONONONONO captures the spirit of Ironman absolutely. Without this tag the project is forfeit.

Xyzzy01 said:

There are currently at least two "FUNDERFUL" thread on the first page of EE: one about Youtube preferences and one about desktop wallpapers. In Wads & Mods, Cybershade has the IDDQD icon, and "Mapping trends" has the FUNDERFUL" icon.

So yes.

Xyzzy01 said:

Also, why does it default to "DUMB"?

As a passive-aggressive way to encourage people to use a non-default icon.

It's not very effective.

IDDQD refers to incredibly hard doom maps that you'll probably be able to beat only with IDDQD or any other cheat codes.

I just use the cool [DOOM] tag everywhere, unless it really needs to stand out somehow.

Isn't [IDDQD] meant for extreme topics where the author feels the need of god mode?

I always thought [O NO N] is meant for bad or shocking news (oh no!)

I never dismiss the tags. When for example I see one tagged [ATTN] or [TECHIE], I know what to expect.

Oh, alright then. I guess most of them don't have any real meaning or purpose, thanks!

Gez said:

"Mapping trends" has the FUNDERFUL" icon.

I did that on purpose ;)

The only tag that's helpful is [TECHIE]. The rest are too vague to understand what to expect from the thread, with few exceptions like [HELP], [QUESTION], [ATTN]. [WTF?] Is a good one though.

But hey, Ling's gonna renovate Doomworld this month, so let's say our goodbyes to these tags.

DWF as I recall used to have some forum culture crossover with SomethingAwful which is probably why the thread icons even exist.