Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xyzzу

Mapping trends troughout the years

For every year (or few years) of Doom mapping, where there any specific mapping trends that were prominent during that year that defines that time period? What fads in mods were prevalent in the past that you could say describes a certain era of mapping?

Early 2000's had such midtexture abuse, you could move for all the 4 and 8 pixel-high patches and textures in a WAD designed solely to make a shit mesh bridge or whatever.

Nowadays, mid-twentyteens, I dunno really. One 'trend' I'm totally down with is stuffing exit rooms full of medikits as an olive branch to continuous players.

A interesting era that I can remember was when doom builder came out, that changed the doom mapping scene massively imo.

Que hex tiles missing in floors... in every room and micro detail coming out your ass.

Not me thou, I stuck with wadauther and continued making shit.

Excessive bordering and linear techbases went hand in hand in glorious marriage during the Zdoom years!

TraceOfSpades said:

All of the myhouse.wads.

Lol, Urban Wars is the best one.

Jayextee said:

One 'trend' I'm totally down with is stuffing exit rooms full of medikits as an olive branch to continuous players.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. Gonna try to incorporate this in my maps when I have the time.

Jayextee said:

One 'trend' I'm totally down with is stuffing exit rooms full of medikits as an olive branch to continuous players.

Which is a worthy revival of the original Knee Deep approach. I always put the traditional 2 Medikits in the exit. It's the only way to fly.

I don't get this. Continuous players already have an advantage. I'd rather put a health item at the beginning of the next level.

Health at the beginning of the level is somewhat abusable though; can be saved as a get-out if you've pistol-started and are getting low.

And sure, continuous players do already have an advantage; which is why pistol-starts tend to be seen more as a kind of challenge run by some. But there's nothing more vexing than exiting a level at such low health that, as a continuous player, you legitimately consider pistol-starting a map instead.

I think there's a balance. A 'zerk at every exit would be overkill. But I'd rather start a map at 75% with a full arsenal than pistol-start it. Two medikits is probably on the high end; I'd be fine with no more than a medikit + a stimpack on higher difficulties.

There is nothing more frustrating, though, than coming into a map at single digits and being faced with, like, a mandatory nukeage run or some hitscan hell or something.

I tend to be against the idea of giving health and items to continuous players at the end of a map. Continuous players are usually overstocked on weapons and ammo, so I don't think there's anything wrong with letting them struggle a bit if they finish a map low on health. If low health makes the start impossible to survive, well... you do restart with 100% health and 50 bullets after dying (:

Jayextee said:

Health at the beginning of the level is somewhat abusable though; can be saved as a get-out if you've pistol-started and are getting low.

Or just go the Nirvana route and have 20 Medikits in the first room!