Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eradrop

"Hide & Seek" My new Project

It always surprises me how moddable Doom is... Really great Work ! The Level Design and atmosphere is just brilliant :) Everyone who is reading this do yourself a favour and play this ! :D

Wow this is radically awesome! How did you know lush vivid nature was my favorite? I liked all the weapons, the exploration (very much), and especially all gore variations (I kept being surprised by what happens when I slice things with my katana, and by all the gore in general - awesome work!). The shooting bananas off trees I discovered by myself and I thought that was awesome, also the little birdies in the mountains flying by. I also liked how monsters kept spawning in so looking for those last artifact charms wasn't boring.

Spoiler

Everything is awesome, and that spooky ghost segment near the end was quite scary!

I felt like I was playing a brand new game (of like Far Cry or something) and mods like those don't come out very often at all! M'wah, truly sublime!

Screenshots looks amazing! Definitely will try this as soon as possible. Looks great.

Pretty good, the katana is very satisfying to use, speaking of the katana, i would love to see those ripper sliced death animations on Shadow Warrior.
Also the gore is looks great too.

I was afraid there's too much gore... but i glad you guys liked it :)
I really like many kinds of gore and deaths, its keeps me enjoying this wad after testing it for so so so long.

I just recently played this Mod, it certainly something to experience. It's a one huge map with very impressive architecture, new enemies, weapons and items. There also new music and graphics. It's definitely not the regular Doom gameplay where you just go and kill demons, find keys/switches and go to the exit. There's some exploration to do and TAB will be a good friend of yours in this Mod. It seems that a lot of work was put into this and I think everyone should at least give it a try. 

Pretty cool work Eradrop, thank you for sharing with the community.

Edited by Uni

I played this for about an hour last night. It's amazing. The environment looks great, and I love the atmospheric sounds. The weapon graphics and animations are fantastic. I also like that it's geared towards exploration - the world feels appropriately huge.

I have some gripes, though.

The main gripe is that the enemies blend with the environments - the grey monsters blend with the rock walls, the green monks blend with the foliage, and the flying things can blend with either. I feel like my eyes and my brain have to do too much work to pick things out, especially at a distance. I'd recommend either changing the colors of the enemies (change the green dudes' outfits to ... orange? red?) or add some glow-like highlights at the edges. Anyway, if these guys are supposed to be supernatural, why not?

Another gripe is that the green dudes seem to be able to pop out of their little holes randomly, which means I can clear an area and then get shot in the back a few minutes later. No bueno :(

Also - it's possible to kill the green dudes before they emerge, which makes their drops inaccessible.

Fighting stuff at the beginning with the single pistol is SUPER TEDIOUS! And I only found the second one by accident - how the heck was I supposed to know to look at that corpse to find it? And what's the point when I can get a very powerful rifle about five seconds later?

Also, I feel like the rifle dudes do ridiculous damage, which would be fine if they didn't kind of swarm out from everywhere. And why do they sound like zombies?

Regardless of these issues, I'm going to keep playing it. It's really, really impressive.

edit: gzdoom but I need to check my graphics settings to see if there's anything I disabled and forgot about that might make this look better and fix the contrast issues with the enemies.

swivelmaster, I Accept all what you said.

About the monks blending with foliage, it's a problem I already know and im working to give them a different color so they won't be so camouflaged with the environments.

The point of the pistol is to give the player infinite weaopn so no matter what, he can always fight back, I know there's alot of munition to grab, but I take into account that there may be super crooked players.

So to make the pistol a little bit more powerful I made the option for two pistols, but you right... the second pistol is not that clear so I will fix it up.

To keep the map alive, I made the enemies respawning, so if you cleared a room and a minute later you got shot at your back it's just a bad luck.

the monks spawn's is randomly with all the doors, (there're many spawn spot for monks), so every time monk will spawn it will be in a different area in the map, it's something I can't really fix.

The dude's damage is pretty high, the point of making the enemies so powerful is to prevent the player from playing bare, and make him careful for his life, that's why I made the armor so essential. Every type of armor you take has 50% absorption, even the "bonus armor"' which is this game is knee armor has the same absorption.

the monks sounds like zombies cus the story behind of this map is the player arrives to a temple in the jungle where all the monks became zombies cus of disease.

The player, is a ghost, and you fight brown monks that's are ghost like you.

There're still things to fix, and I promise I will keep work on it.

Edited by Eradrop

Hey, thanks for responding :)

The pistol/infinite ammo as a fallback weapon makes sense. I think maybe the issue is more that it's so weak (what is it, eight shots to take out the flying things?) that as a backup it feels more defensive and I'm basically running away so I can separate enemies out and pick them off one by one. Maybe I'm not supposed to take out all the birds that appear when getting the artifact at the beginning?

re: the colors - good!

re: respawning enemies - I get why you're doing this, but perhaps you could refine the scripting so that they only respawn when the player is some distance away? I'm not familiar with the limitations of modern scripting (I just started getting back into making levels) but I assume that's possible. Just remember that a mechanic that can be fun but also has the potential to be frustrating isn't necessarily better than nothing at all :)  (And anyway, don't you like the feeling of progress that comes with clearing a room permanently?) If you decide to keep the random spawns, maybe pick a VERY distinct sound that they make when they spawn so that it's obvious when it happens nearby.

re: the zombie sounds - okay, that makes sense. I guess the issue for me is that the sound doesn't feel right for what they look like. They're fast-moving and they have guns, so when they sound like grumbling monsters, I keep checking around to see if I missed an actual grumbling monster somewhere!

re: the importance of armor - I didn't really pick up on this. How is this supposed to affect how I play the game? I'm asking because I would try to pick up armor anyway, so what difference does it make?

I realize I'm being really critical here, hopefully it's helpful  :)

Hard as nails, but love the hell out of this. Really dig the music too. The weapons are great, though I'm a little iffy about the grenade mechanics. Be nice if there was a way to throw them far or drop them where I'm at, with a bit of a bounce so I can just drop them from ledges.

Main gripe so far is that damn map powerup, which freezes me in place and won't go away! I hit everything on mouse and keyboard and eventually had to restart. That's why I avoided it in the video.

And I'm not sure what the deal is with the protagonist. Am I a monster?

Hey! played 2 hours in the first map, looks glorious as a survival game

My only complain it's that the dudes does a masive damage and it's totally hard to me to play it (even on the second difficulty)

I apreaciate a lot if you made the enemies deal less damage or well, just make them clear to see them on long distance.

other stuff looks comfy and good looking, keep up the good work!

Impie:  I saw your video, first of all, jumping is not allowed. And about the grenade, the longer you hold the key of fire the more the grenade will fly away.

About the player, you are a monster just like the brown monks you fight against.

I promise i will fix the probs with the enemies in the beta version

15 hours ago, Eradrop said:

Impie:  I saw your video, first of all, jumping is not allowed. And about the grenade, the longer you hold the key of fire the more the grenade will fly away.

About the player, you are a monster just like the brown monks you fight against.

I promise i will fix the probs with the enemies in the beta version

Ahh, ok, so I'm turning against my own people, more or less.

If jumping isn't allowed, add this to the top of the mapinfo lump:

defaultmap {nojump}

defaultmap {nojump}

Also what I mean about the grenade is, even if i tap the attack, I huck it really far. It'd be handy if there's an option to just drop it where I stand so enemies walk over it while chasing me, or so it'll roll off a ledge I'm standing on and blast the enemies below.

EDIT: I can't beat the mod because of an issue with the big lava pit battle under the bridge. When i grab the charm the walls lower to reveal a green teleporter, but as soon as these walls begin to lower i suffer massive lag that never goes away.

Edited by Impie

I understand... my computer is pretty strong so it loading the wad very easly with no lags, but i will try it with other computers.

The only other time I have lag is when it first loads the map, whether i'm playing a new game or loading a save, but after that it's usually fine. In the instance described above, it's constant crippling lag, so something weird's going on there.

This looks absolutely amazing.

edit: just played around for a bit. And I figured I would report on what I found.

- hitting the reload key will do the reload animation even with you are full.

Spoiler

bloc.png.27a81f43fb110b17a07182b7888bb586.png

- In this area (Right next to where you start) if you fall down or explore the water area, there is no way of getting back without cheating. Would like to see a way of getting back, or being blocked off so that I am not able to get stuck by accident.

Will be playing this more though, will let you know of any more issues as they come up. BTW, playing this in GZDoom 3.0

Edited by Jimp Argon

11 hours ago, Jimp Argon said:
  Reveal hidden contents

bloc.png.27a81f43fb110b17a07182b7888bb586.png

- In this area (Right next to where you start) if you fall down or explore the water area, there is no way of getting back without cheating. Would like to see a way of getting back, or being blocked off so that I am not able to get stuck by accident.

That's something else I forgot. A lot of deep chasms have no way back out and don't kill the player when he lands. You can solve this by either setting those sectors to instant death when the player touches them, or finding a way to turning on "falling damage" by default. You can probably do the latter in the mapinfo lump, sorta like the "nojump" thing I mentioned.

Definitely gonna try it out sooner or later. Probably even Stream it on Twitch. :)

Spoiler

fff.png.fa45263aa496c58ddbf0f0a3e5b4bf2f.png

- When you find maps. You should have included an arrow marker for the player. Something like a "You are here" pointer so that players know where they are on the map while looking at it.

- The rifle monks are able to shoot at a higher rate of fire then the rifle should be able to. They don't even have to slide the bolt to chamber the next round. Its just boom boom. Two shots in about a second. Not very fair.

- Also, the hearts... Whats up with them? Are you a cannibal now? It doesn't really explain why you eat the hearts. Which is why im asking. It just seems really strange for someone to just do. I was expecting some sort of wepon or ability from the hearts like in Shadow Warrior. But no, you just eat them for some reason.

Still playing though, will let you know more as I find them.

Edited by Jimp Argon

Well, the heart idea was to make different way how the player can gain health, not just picking up from the floor. And another think behind the heart is you can carry those and save them for a moment you really need health.

In the map i made a red square that mean: "location" but I agree I need to make somehing more clear, "you are here" like you said so i will fix it up

I called your MG34 an M60 on a podcast and now I feel like I've failed gun nuts everywhere.

Okay, I used Zandro and I managed to hit 60fps, plays nice, however needs more sounds, and the shadow warrior katana needs better lightning

Been playing a bit (GZDoom 3.1). Some thoughts, opinions and things I noticed:

-The starting area doesn't allow you to get out of the map (invisible wall) but if you drop from the waterfall later on you can fall outside the map with no apparent way to get back in.

-Some death messages have "%name" instead of the actual name. Later I noticed other death messages work fine.

-Disable jump/crouch if it's not allowed? With the ZDoom-ish look of the map I'd assume jumping is allowed. (edit: I just saw that was already suggested before)

-The scroll map is neat, but it seems weird that it can't be picked up. Wouldn't it be better if you could pick it up and pull out like a weapon to check it instead of having a map scroll lying around on random locations?

-Finally my opinion on balance: strong enemies with hitscan weapons don't go well with respawn in my opinion. As you keep playing it becomes annoying and tedious. Things get worse because there isn't a lot of enemy variety.