Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jayextee

Highly techie DeHackEd question.

Is there ANY way in either DeHackEd or .bex to produce a weapon that fires homing projectiles? I'm sure that this has been asked before, but the forum irregular I am, I missed it.

Thanks, anyway ;)

Are you sure that works? I read somewhere that giving your weapons enemy codepointers will cause Doom to hang or bomb to dos.

Whatever, I'll try that regardless.

the revenant tracer seems to be a monster code pointer only. it work work on the player's weapons.

pilotto: Funny you should say that, because I'm asking with regards to my Exhumed TC, which I'm now trying to develop as a Boom-compatibles TC, for a wider audience. ATM Edge isn't up to what I want doing, so I have to make compromises - some of which make me think 'what is the point in doing this for Edge alone?' as well as the inescapable fact that quite a few people merely DON'T like Edge.

I'm impartial, I'll play with whatever a WAD runs on, but not everybody is like this. Nonetheless, the only real hurdle from porting it to a more standard format is what I do with the COBRA STAFF weapon, itself being basically a weak homing rocket launcher. I already have a grenade weapon, so just making it into a rocket launcher weapon seems pointless, so what do I do?

And please, no source port specific answers, because I want this thing to now go out on whatever is both BOOM and DeHacked compatible (That's a lot).

Jayextee said:

Is there ANY way in either DeHackEd or .bex to produce a weapon that fires homing projectiles? I'm sure that this has been asked before, but the forum irregular I am, I missed it.

Thanks, anyway ;)

Instead of dealing with the code pointers directly you could try simply replacing the frames of the rocket or plasma ball's thing with the frames of the revenant's fireball... It seems unlikely that it will work, but who knows.

Jayextee said:

Thanks, anyway ;)

Instead of dealing with the code pointers directly you could try simply replacing the frames of the rocket or plasma ball's thing with the frames of the revenant's fireball.

wasn't a cobra staff that fired homing projectiles in Powerslave? that'd be kinda neat in Doom. I thought the idea of hell weapons in the Doom bible was cool, that could be like one of them.

No, it is impossible to make a homing weapon with Dehacked. Unless you want one that will home in on you, which is marginally possible, but WHY.

Linguica said:

No, it is impossible to make a homing weapon with Dehacked. Unless you want one that will home in on you, which is marginally possible, but WHY.

You may be right as someone may have tried it before, and I was convinced at first that the homing effect was probably tied to the Player being the target, but it isn't, since the Revenant can attack other monsters if pissed off by them and the missile will home in on any target. But maybe if the firing thing is a Player the game crashes, or something.

The Revenant's homing missiles seek the Revenant's "target". The target is usually the player, but can also be a monster when the revenant has been hurt by one. The problem is that the player never has a "target", so the homing missiles wouldn't know what to go for, if fired by a player.

If you really want to have homing weapons in Doom, I believe there's only one way to do it. Use Virtual Basic or some other similar program, and edit the Doom code itself.

Ichor said:

If you really want to have homing weapons in Doom, I believe there's only one way to do it. Use Virtual Basic or some other similar program, and edit the Doom code itself.

ROFL.

That is the single funniest post I've ever read on these forums.

Ichor said:

ahahahahahahahahaha

ahem.

May I remind people that I want to use DeHackEd for compatibility with people's own choice of sourceports?

So please give answers in DeHackEdEse, if you please. :)

fraggle said:

No, doom is written in java.

You have misunderstood. The AI code is written in Java, while the rendering code is written in BrainFuck, and everything else in Cobol.

Sorry, but there are some things that simply cannot be done with Dehacked. Making the player's weapon shots homing is one of them I think. I've tried many times and it has never worked. That's why you can only do it by changing the code itself. I thought you would have known that I meant editing the JDoom dll code. I figured it was similar to the JHeretic or JHexen code, so I thought it would be possible that way.

Fredrik said:

The Revenant's homing missiles seek the Revenant's "target". The target is usually the player, but can also be a monster when the revenant has been hurt by one. The problem is that the player never has a "target", so the homing missiles wouldn't know what to go for, if fired by a player.

The player sort of does have targets; monsters in view when firing (the ones he hits with firearms or are aimed at by his sprite attacks when they spawn). I tried what I suggested, but it does not seem to do much, if anything. Maybe it's more or less what you say. I'm not completely sure though, as monsters move very little away from the player, but the Revenant missile fired by the player doesn't seem to do anything special. Maybe someone should try this patch on DM. Also, even if it worked, it would hardly affect SP, as monsters don't avoid attacks, but it would be useful in DM, though a player can't always target effectively like a monster can, so it's not that great.

http://www28.brinkster.com/mykdoom/REV-ROK.DEH

I also changed the Revenant's missile to something else and it didn't target anymore.