Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Paul977

Sky textures graphic issue

I'm importing sky textures to my wad with Slade3. When in game I see the sky "cutted" and not like a continuous image. This doesn't happen with the regular doom 2 or doom 1 sky.
Someone knows how to solve it ?
Regards

You'll have to edit the TEXTURE lumps to define your new sky since it seems like your new sky is larger the Doom's sky.

Voros said:

You'll have to edit the TEXTURE lumps to define your new sky since it seems like your new sky is larger the Doom's sky.

please elaborate

There's limits to sizes of patches for DOOM, but for skies you can pull some tricks to make them wider than 256 and taller than 128. Here's one that's 1024x200, and as you can see from the cropping of thee patches it's actuallt 1024x240 which is needed for mouselook. But since I think mouselook is an abomination, I set the texture to 200 height which is the full screen from top to bottom when playing normally.

Note that it takes 8 patches to achieve this, so I chop up my texture into segments before importing:

bonnie said:

please elaborate

Extract from Doom2's TEXTURE1 lump. At least I think its Doom2.

SKY1            256     128
*   RSKY1       0       0
SKY2            256     128
*   RSKY2       0       0
SKY3            256     128
*   RSKY3       0       0
First line, gives you the name of the texture "SKY1" and its dimensions 256x128. The sky will be made up of only the patch RSKY1 (which is 256x128 in size).

Let's say I have a sky that is 1024x128. So this is what I'll change.
SKY1            1024     128
*   RSKY1       0       0
So the new sky will be RSKY1 (this patch will be in the wad), and SKY1 will be defined as a 1024x128 texture in game.

If I didn't change the width there, the sky will not loop properly visually, looking "cut".

The edited TEXTURE1 lump must be present in the new wad.

Note: for vanilla you'll have to chop up your new sky into segment. Take a look at how TNT did it TNT Evilution.

Thanks for the replies. I resolved the issue by resizing the png image to 256x128 and then I imported it to the SKY1 lump