Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

[AutoDoom NEW WEBSITE] You can now play Doom coop with a bot

4 hours ago, Glaice said:

I wonder how this will handle OBLIGE maps, heh heh (gonna test this)...

My guess is that it might do slightly better with Oblige maps, simply because Oblige refrains from building some of the more crazy tricks that a human might build, which could cause some trouble for a bot. I wonder which constructs might cause issues for the bot. I suppose some jumping puzzles, or complex switch-and-run puzzles might be tricky for a bot to navigate.

A neat experiment would be:

1. Take a bunch of vanilla PWADs and place them into a folder.
  2. Modify AutoDoom a bit to allow it to load and unload PWADs from a given folder.
  3. Automate the process, and launch each map in single-player coop mode, and let AutoDoom play each map from beginning to end.
  4. Track the following stats for each level of each PWAD, to a history text file:
  • PWAD filename
  • Episode and Map #
  • Did AutoDoom complete the level?
  • How many respawns were required?
  • How much ammo, health, armor, and powerups were needed?
  • How long did it take to complete each map?

This allows you to do some things that were not easily possible before:

• Create reasonable Par Times for custom levels
  • Verify that WIP maps can be completed
  • Provide a mathematical way to determine/tweak difficulty levels
  • Provide test cases for improving AutoDoom's abilities, if necessary
  • much more...

In this test environment, you could run the engine at top speed without rendering, and set it up to record demos. Later, while reviewing the history text file, if a problem is discovered, you can play back the demo, and see what went wrong. The possibilities are endless. What a great tool! I'm excited to give some of this a few tries.

I've watched Autdoom run through a lot of OBLIGE maps (v7.22 I think) and it does fine. Usually have to bump the health up so it doesn't get decimated by larger monster hordes.

Something I almost set up was a stream where Autodoom would run through OBLIGE maps 24/7. The two issues I encountered were the bot not being able to skip the intermission text and having more than 32 maps in the wad. I imagine both of these are pretty easy to solve but I ended up moving on to the other things.

Sometimes it gets stuck on the lift4 prefab for me but easy enough to set the prob to 0 for me, but like you said, it plays as it should with boosted support.

I'm fine with anyone copying AutoDoom to other ports, but please be GPL3 compatible. If you want to copy to GPL2, please message me first.

An API sounds like a good idea -- I already want to export the bot map feature. But other stuff seem like low level stuff. I'll think of it. Maybe path finding and other generic stuff sound doable. But there are also game specific stuff, such as linedef specials...

11 hours ago, printz said:

I'm fine with anyone copying AutoDoom to other ports, but please be GPL3 compatible. If you want to copy to GPL2, please message me first.

An API sounds like a good idea -- I already want to export the bot map feature. But other stuff seem like low level stuff. I'll think of it. Maybe path finding and other generic stuff sound doable. But there are also game specific stuff, such as linedef specials...

GPL3 - got ya. Yeah, it sounded possibly do-able, with some difficulty. Performance-wise, it might get tricky, especially if you had to transfer a lot a data back and forth. Duplicating map data comes to mind as a possible remedy.

I wasn't implying that you had to do all the work...but I would not want to get in your way either. I'm just brainstorming some ideas at this stage. I really have no business taking on another project right now :) I just see AutoDoom opening up a lot of new possibilities, making things possible that were never possible before. Fascinating stuff!