Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

The soundtrack is almost too good for the game

On 4/10/2017 at 8:11 AM, MFG38 said:

I don't blame you for not liking the soundtrack, but "it's certainly not metal"? Then what genre do tracks like Rip & Tear and BFG Division represent? And you can fuck right off with that "I'm calling it dubstep although it clearly isn't that" shit too.

Idiot.

Cute, but no.

It'd be one thing if it wasn't hyped just soooo metal, but it isn't metal.

Shit. Mick ain't no Rammstein, that's all I'm saying. When I hear people say: "Hey, maaaaan. You play the new Doom game?  It's so fucking metal!"

I expect metal. I want something that makes me want to rape your mom and behead your family dog.  There was only one track that did even remotely close.

Rammstein isn't metal, it's douchepop. I'll never understand the sycophanthic admiration they get overseas. Here in Germany, they're basically the One Direction of hard 'n' heavy.

Edited by TAPETRVE

@Flesh420 I'm really not sure what else you'd call it.  The closest genre it probably falls into is industrial djent.  

Metal isn't all "rape your mom and behead your family dog" anyway (although the Doom 2016 soundtrack is pretty heavy!).  By that logic Power Metal, Speed Metal, Stoner Metal, Progressive Metal, Symphonic Metal and even plain old Heavy Metal aren't really metal either.  

Although also, I'd argue Doom 2016 is "so fucking metal" even if it had no soundtrack at all.  You carve demons up with a chainsaw.  What's more metal than that?

I don't mind technicality in metal, provided it still sounds cool and aggressive. Some of my favorite metal albums have odd time signatures or borrow from abstract progressive influences. Doesn't hurt to get a little weird or creative at times, though I'll admit djent isn't my style at all. Bands like Meshuggah are often too weird in a way that feels forced and gimmicky. Rather than being relentlessly interesting like thrash metal acts Coroner and Deathrow, to name only a few examples.

11 hours ago, Flesh420 said:

It'd be one thing if it wasn't hyped just soooo metal, but it isn't metal.

I'm going to quote basically everyone here: an all-metal soundtrack wouldn't work for DOOM '16 either way. And for the sake of comparison, the original fucking Doom's soundtrack didn't consist solely of MIDIfied metal tunes either. Half of the tracks were more atmospheric and brooding than full-on moshpit starters. Looks to me as though people completely overlook that fact when they argue against DOOM '16's soundtrack being metal.

E1M3.

It takes only three goddamn levels to get to the atmospheric tracks in classic Doom. Hell, E1M2's track is pretty atmospheric at the start and is still pretty mellow when it does pick up.

actually, that's something that bothers me in a couple Doom PWADs; this mentality that the soundtrack should be all metal, or at least high-energy all the time. i feel like Doom works better with more atmospheric and calm tracks, and cramming whatever headbanger you want into the game makes for a worse listening experience (why do you think the metal music in Doom is so subdued?) not even only metal music has this effect on me, i think putting these Japanese video-game songs that obviously came from things like shmups fits horribly too, and just stresses the crap out of me.

Doom 4's soundtrack is much better tempered in that respect. most of the music is pumped up, but it's not a total onslaught of chaos all the time. it has its atmospheric interludes to ease the tension when it needs to, though with the higher focus on combat, it doesn't detract from what it needs to do. i feel it's able to stay hectic, while at the same time make you stay focused enough to proceed with the encounters, which i find to be a pretty remarkable accomplishment.

3 hours ago, Viscra Maelstrom said:

Doom works better with more atmospheric and calm tracks.

That would have been better than Djentstep imo.

EDIT:

I think this confirms my theory that the Doom 2016 OST is djentstep. Mick Gordon is a djent musician.

http://got-djent.com/bands/all/m

http://got-djent.com/band/mick-gordon

http://got-djent.com/release/doom-ost

Edited by Kontra Kommando : More content

2 hours ago, Kontra Kommando said:

That would have been better than Djentstep imo.

Doom 2016 only plays the heavy stuff when you're in a firefight.  At the calmer times (which is a decent amount of the game if you're secret hunting or exploring) it is slower and atmospheric.

So what I've picked up on from this thread is

-Doom '16 music may or may not be metal

-Some people are having issues identifying genres (Because a soundtrack, album, song, etc can only be labeled under one fucking genre)

-Flesh420 is a whack job: "makes me want to rape your mom and behead your family dog" and "It's not metal" BS argument

1 hour ago, DoctorGenesis said:

Well, today I learned country can be in DOOM.

I think instrumental Rob Zombie (what I consider country metal) or John 5 would fit well in doom

When I think of metal that is evocative of Doom, I usually think of either old school doom Metal (Pentagram, St. Vitus, Winter) or specific old school death metal ala Autopsy and Morbid Angel. There's a lot of atmosphere and thematic ideas in those bands that fit well with Doom's dark nature. But a lot of it, especially the busier modern stuff, is I think too distracting.

On 4/18/2017 at 5:18 PM, TAPETRVE said:

Rammstein isn't metal, it's douchepop. I'll never understand the sycophanthic admiration they get overseas. Here in Germany, they're basically the One Direction of hard 'n' heavy.

Eh, that kinda stuff is metal is the sense that it frequently utilizes metal elements, i.e. power chords, low tuning and heavy distortion, but yeah, the rest of it is basically industrial pop.

What the new DOOM is lacking is the unabashed, naïvely po-faced cheesiness that fueled both its predecessors and the old-school metal they were influenced by. DOOM '16 is cheesy in its own right, but it's a different kind of cheese, a more purposeful and calculated one. Oldschool DOOM was the doodles on a teenager's school desk, new DOOM is a Todd McFarlane comic book. It's like putting Iron Maiden's original version of Powerslave and the aforementioned Anaal Nathrakh cover next to each other. Or maybe, for a more easily graspable comparison, Voïvod's classic stuff to the two often disparaged mid-90s albums with E-Force in the lead. Hell, Phobos is an album that pretty much embodies new DOOM's atmosphere.

Edited by TAPETRVE

I highly disagree, an imitation of that juvenile 1990s metal cheese would turn Doom 16 into something really stupid.

Have you ever listened to Phobos? Silly beepboop in the beginning aside, it's actually pretty atmospheric; nothing like the punky prog-thrash Voïvod usually play.

EDIT: Ah, I presume you interpreted my use of "lacking" as an indication that the new game would need this kind of cheese. I was actually just pointing out the differences.

1 hour ago, TAPETRVE said:

EDIT: Ah, I presume you interpreted my use of "lacking" as an indication that the new game would need this kind of cheese. I was actually just pointing out the differences.

Yeah sorry, I misinterpreted what you said.

9 hours ago, MrD!zone said:

Isn't the music genre in doom'16 Electronic Metal?

It's a hybrid of cinematic music (orchestral ensemble elements such as strings and choir), industrial metal and mild glitch/djent elements.

13 hours ago, GoatLord said:

It's a hybrid of cinematic music (orchestral ensemble elements such as strings and choir), industrial metal and mild glitch/djent elements.

ah ok.

"Electronic metal" is an interesting description though, I have an instrumental music project that is entirely synthetic and I sometimes call it electronic metal, because it's too melodic and clean most of the time to be industrial metal, which typically has noisier, more atonal elements. The Doom '16 soundtrack uses some interesting noise elements to very good effect, but its take is more cybernetic whereas "industrial" seems to imply an older, more mechanistic affect.

On 4/11/2017 at 6:32 AM, Average said:

It's music.  I get that people like to label things as a shortcut in discussion but I find the whole "it's this, no, it's that" argument really tedious.  The '16 OST has a lot of elements from a lot of styles of music.  One can't simply label the whole soundtrack as (Insert genre here).

Yes, it's mainly aggressive and often dissonant but it's not typical genre music.  Let's rejoice in the fact that it's not yet another generic orchestral me-too score that's so prevalent in big titles these days. :) 

Their are some good orchestral musics IMO, Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne comes to mind as some of the better orchestral soundtracks out there. But other than that, yeah their aren't really many different types of music out there. Doom 2016 really helped a bit with it's diversity of soundtracks.

After all the contention and GROSSDUBSTEP the soundtrack got in the period leading up to release, it's funny to see the amount of praise it's getting now.

to be fair, the original version of At Doom's Gate that was used in the E3 trailer or whatever was kind of dubstep-sounding. the soundtrack that made it into the game though is pretty stellar.

Doom isn't metal and it never was - it's blues. The majority of songs in the Doom soundtracks are blues.

When I hear people say: "Hey, maaaaan. You play the new Doom game?  It's so fucking metal!"

I expect metal. I want something that makes me want to rape your mom and behead your family dog.

By any chance is the only Doom you ever played Brutal Doom? Less than 1/3 of the Doom OST is actually metal.