Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
roadworx

so...i read one of the doom novels.

42 minutes ago, RightField said:

Well that's fair I guess, but there's good pulpy stuff and bad.

Robert E. Howard comes to my mind since he was a pulp author, his Conan stories are not the best literary material ever, but they sure are fun to read. Good stuff

Putting a comical twist on it while keeping it thrilling like the Discworld series would also work. So yeah, there's really no excuse why these novels are so bad.

Quasi-apologies for replying to a thread with so many prompts to not do it, but I just re-read the first 3 original Doom novels, and I'm about to start Endgame this week. I'm actually disheartened to see so much negativity towards this series, but I guess I get it. I found these books in my local Waldenbooks in the summer of 1996 and read all 4 very quickly. I mean Doom was 3 years old at this point (!), and I was completely captivated by the game. I didn't have a PC yet but I had Doom on Playstation. And I still think it's the best Doom game yet (okay, on consoles). So as a kid just getting ready to graduate high school I really was into these books. I noticed some of the discrepancies with the game but I easily overlooked them. To me, these stories just opened the world of Doom so much wider.

I am blown away that I read these books over 25 years ago. They've been on my bookshelves for the past 2 decades+ and I could/would never part with them. It's been fun to reconnect with these stories, especially as I've been playing the heck outta PSX Doom/Final Doom and Doom 64 again. I feel like a teenager again!