Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomGater

Editor on a stick / Mobile Editor

I am hopelessly bored here in my office and would like to edit /create some doom maps.
But I don't have admin rights here on my Win7 PC. Is there a mobile version of the doombuilder or any other sufficient editor, that can run directly from an USB-stick?

I could create the stick at home (with full admin rights), but obviously it isa not
enough to copy a DB installation folder onto a stick...

Any idea?

SLADE 3 has a portable mode. Just create a file named "portable" (no extension) and put it in the same directory as the SLADE executable. If it finds this file when starting up, it'll use its executable directory as the place where to store its config file.

Thanks a lot, nice feature! But unfortunately SLADE requires some MS C++ (or was it C#, can't remember...)-stuff, which is not installed on that machine. :-(
Hmm, think I'm gonna grab a mobile DOSbox and use DEUS again:-)

Tried DB1? Also, maybe one of those old-ass editors like DeepSea or WadAuthor work portably.

You can grab an older version of SLADE as well, afaik it requires that additional stuff since not too long ago.

edit: double "also"

The old version that might still be up on the DRD Team dev build only required the VC++ 2005 runtime, which have a higher probability of being present on computers.

Unfortunately, the code cannot be compiled with VC++ 2005 anymore.

Can't it be compiled with a static CRT? Of course this will require recompiling wxWidgets with a non-standard setting but I have done that each time I used that framework because the DLL version is always a hassle with some users who cannot install the CRT for various reasons. Better not go there in the first place.

Wad author works on my USB drive but its a very primitive editor and generally not great for anything outside making some basic layouts.

Are there any ACS compilers and insertion tools for Windows that don't require admin? I am in a similar situation to OP but not an office, a library in my hometown instead because I dont have a computer at home atm, only a pretty cheap Android phone which there are no wad or map editors for ;( I can't use GZDoom Builder or Slade since they require installing things which require admin to work (DirectX, .net framework, etc) so I am using Eureka for map editing but have nothing for ACS, so right now I am writing "scripts" by putting a bunch of enemies in small rooms and batch-killing them to run more complex effects (like turning on lights and opening doors at the same time for example) 😁

Edited by therektafire

ACC shouldn't require admin. Just don't make it work on files that are in protected folders -- basically put your wads in My Documents, not in Program Files.

Posted (edited)

@DoomGater I don't know if your situation has changed or not but I just made a pretty nice discovery :D Foobar 2000 (or at laest the most recent version of it) has a copy of the MSVC C++ runtime packed with it and when I copy and pasted those files from the foobar folder to the latest version of Slade 3 it worked! You will still need to download VCRUNTIME140.dll separately though, that doesn't come with it. I hope this helps

edit: hmmm, it looks like the newest version actually doesn't have it :/ Oh well, I have a copy of it on my google drive, here is the link https://drive.google.com/open?id=1s8z6FmWyyUed-qb2DcmeKuAzjIMiV8Z-

copy all the files in the "runtime" folder from there to the root of the Slade 3 directory and it should work

Edited by therektafire