Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Jaska

Sky transfer

Changing skies is easy in GZDoom with the mapinfo.

But if I wan't my map to be boom-compatible I have to use sky transfer to get rid of the hard coded sky definitions.. So I have to use "Transfer sky texture to tagged sectors" -action. But what if I have for example teleport destination on one tag below F_sky1.

So now I need to add different sky transfer linedef to all of those sectors.. I have almost 700 sectors with F_SKY1. Many sectors with different tags (lifts, teleport destinations..). How can I easily find sectors with F_SKY1 and tag? So that I don't need to manually search all of those. I have other maps with same problem.

When a map is complex enough that searching for all the sky sectors to tag would be a hassle, you can just bruteforce it by tagging every sector.

In Doom Builder you can do this relatively easily: start out by creating just a few sky transfer lines (let's say 8 of them), starting with tag 0 and incrementing up. Then copy and paste the whole set, and with them all still selected, open the sector properties dialog and type "++8" into the Tag field. Press OK and it will add 8 to all of them, so your 0-7 has just magically doubled into 0-15. Select all 16 of them and repeat the process, this time inputting ++16, so they've become 0-31. Continue doubling from there, and pretty soon you'll have all your tags covered.

esselfortium said:

When a map is complex enough that searching for all the sky sectors to tag would be a hassle, you can just bruteforce it by tagging every sector.

In Doom Builder you can do this relatively easily: start out by creating just a few sky transfer lines (let's say 8 of them), starting with tag 0 and incrementing up. Then copy and paste the whole set, and with them all still selected, open the sector properties dialog and type "++8" into the Tag field. Press OK and it will add 8 to all of them, so your 0-7 has just magically doubled into 0-15. Select all 16 of them and repeat the process, this time inputting ++16, so they've become 0-31. Continue doubling from there, and pretty soon you'll have all your tags covered.

Nice! Thanks!

esselfortium said:

I wish I knew about that a year ago when I was setting up my sky transfer prefab, haha. Would have made setting up tags for two hundred sky transfer lines a lot quicker.

There is a tag range function you can use to do that in under 15 seconds, at least in GZDB:

I mashed Ctrl+S (my split linedef hotkeys) a few times and selected the dog tag thing.

This is why I'm not impressed by the mere implementation of those Boom lighting effects that use 100 tags or something. :D

It's funny I discovered shortcuts like these after I stopped speedmapping regularly.