What the heck happened to Doom Touch/D Touch??

I still wonder if D Touch is still being developed. I mean come on, it's the only sourceport available for Android. Will it even be updated with the latest version of GZdoom? Also, multiplayer launcher! (So I don't have to type my ip address again and again and again).

Share this post


Link to post
38_ViTa_38 said:

It isn't the only port on Android. There are PrBoom4Android (crashes on Android 5.1 afaIk), DoomGLES, Alphar Doom. But I doubt there will be any updates.

Oh yeah. I forgot. What I meant was D Touch is the only sourceport on Android WITH mod support. Still I wish Beloko continues to improve this masterpiece because I want to play my favorite Doom mods on the go...

Share this post


Link to post

The fact that Google took it off the Play Store doesn't help beloko get any motivation to continue. I'm not saying he stopped, just stating the effect it had. I'm sure when beloko has something to show, he'll do so on Amazon.

If he truly did stop, someone in the future can continue working on D-Touch, since the source code was released.

To all you techies: Do Android phones have OpenGL 2.0 support? Because 1.8.6 (the one in D-Touch) has OpenGL 1.x and is the last version to use OpenGL 1.x according to Graf Zahl. Could that be a reason for not updating the GZDoom build in D-Touch?

Share this post


Link to post
Voros said:

The fact that Google took it off the Play Store doesn't help beloko get any motivation to continue. I'm not saying he stopped, just stating the effect it had. I'm sure when beloko has something to show, he'll do so on Amazon.

If he truly did stop, someone in the future can continue working on D-Touch, since the source code was released.

To all you techies: Do Android phones have OpenGL 2.0 support? Because 1.8.6 (the one in D-Touch) has OpenGL 1.x and is the last version to use OpenGL 1.x according to Graf Zahl. Could that be a reason for not updating the GZDoom build in D-Touch?


Googled a bit and found this : http://www.openglprojects.in/2015/07/how-to-check-if-android-device-supports-opengl-es-2.0.html?m=1
Does that help?

Share this post


Link to post

Android uses OpenGL ES, which is somewhat different from regular OpenGL with a few more restrictions. It is these restrictions which are posing a problem for GZDoom, because one of the things full OpenGL 2.0 ensures is having non-power-of-two textures. GLES would require some adjustments in places like this.

OpenGL ES 1.x is irrelevant by now, there are no relevant phones without 2.0.

Share this post


Link to post

I'd love to see Eternity ported to Android :(

Share this post


Link to post

Oh well. I wish there can be a way to upgrade GZdoom to the latest version...

Share this post


Link to post

How voros write, after google banned them from google play for some reason they dont have motivation to continue. but i know beloko have no problem abandoned they project(Eduke 32 for example). but i think they gone, you dont hear about them long time.

Share this post


Link to post

RIP new Chocolate and Prboom-Plus updates...

Share this post


Link to post

Great to see you again here. If you're updating D-Touch, be sure fix that bug with settings not being saved in Chocolate Doom. And adding navigational keys similar to PrBoom+'s, to Chocolate Doom's automap.

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, Voros said:

Great to see you again here. If you're updating D-Touch, be sure fix that bug with settings not being saved in Chocolate Doom. And adding navigational keys similar to PrBoom+'s, to Chocolate Doom's automap.

Yeah should fix that, basically redoing all the porting and making it cleaner (2nd time is always better :). Planning to add all the features there are in the gzdoom port to the others, including the multitouch map control (zoom, pan).

 

Share this post


Link to post
49 minutes ago, beloko said:

prboom, choc etc.

prboom-plus 2.5.1.4 or 2.5.1.5 r4519? Chocolate Doom 2.3.0 or 3.0? I mean using SDL1 or SDL2, too.

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, 38_ViTa_38 said:

prboom-plus 2.5.1.4 or 2.5.1.5 r4519? Chocolate Doom 2.3.0 or 3.0? I mean using SDL1 or SDL2, too.

I'm trying to remove all SDL1 support. I am planning to only use SDL2 for everything which uses SDL, I have a complatibility layer just in case for SDL1 though. It will be what ever is latest version avaliable at the time I guess, you think that will be OK?

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah, the latest versions are ok but using chocolate-doom 2.3.0 would be nice because of multiplayer servers.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, 38_ViTa_38 said:

Yeah, the latest versions are ok but using chocolate-doom 2.3.0 would be nice because of multiplayer servers.

OK sure, probably 2.3.0 for now.

Share this post


Link to post

And because this is basically what's on everyone's mind: GZDoom?

 

almost forgot: the loading time for PrBoom+ with music is ridiculous. 

Edited by Voros

Posted (edited)

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Voros said:

And because this is basically what's on everyone's mind: GZDoom?

Yes looking at GZDoom now, tbh it's all resting on if I can get the graphics on the latest version to actually work!

Share this post


Link to post

What version of GZDoom, considering the major code refactoring going on...

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Danfun64 said:

What version of GZDoom, considering the major code refactoring going on...

Been looking at GZDoom-GPL, do you think this is good?

Share this post


Link to post

The main problem with using GZDoom-GPL is that for obvious reasons, FMod support was removed, and i'm not sure you can run OpenAL in Android. Also, you might want to look at QZDoom-GPL (available here), which is attempting to restore the Software renderer to GZDoom-GPL.

Share this post


Link to post

Beloko you're a saint. Nothing beats being at work and able to quickly download a new groundbreaking demo, like 4shockblast's recent e2m8 pacifist, and watch it on my lunch break using only crumbs of mobile data. Let alone still being able to play community mods when my comp goes down; D-Touch is a great program/tool.

 

I have a couple support questions I'd like to ask you at some point. I'll prolly pm you later on after I formulate rational words, heh.

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Danfun64 said:

and i'm not sure you can run OpenAL in Android.

You can. I even used it in a commercial product once.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Good to see you again beloko, i just want to write that if you can fix the crashing in prboom. doom 2 crashes for me in map 23 in first room. good luck to next update.

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Mr. Trotl said:

doom 2 crashes for me in map 23 in first room.

Doesn't for me. Maybe your copy has become corrupted. My copy of the IWAD had become corrupted once so that it wouldn't load up at all. Replaced with a fresh copy and it worked.

Share this post


Link to post

So got the latest GZDoom-GPL kind of running. The sound doesn't work, there and are no sprites, and performance is pretty bad.

But it's doing something really weird, the view seems to move up and down all the time...

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, beloko said:

So got the latest GZDoom-GPL kind of running. The sound doesn't work, there and are no sprites, and performance is pretty bad.

But it's doing something really weird, the view seems to move up and down all the time...

 

 

 

 

I'm sure you'll fix it in time.

Share this post


Link to post

So it now pretty much works, it's using the latest GZDoom-GPL which is aligned to maint2.4. Only issue is performance isn't great, I think slower than the older 2.1 code. Will bench to see where most of the time is going, CPU or renderer.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now