Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Amaster

Need Tech advice for a compaq

Ok, here's the situation.
About a year ago I broke the cpu fan on my Compaq Presario 5240. I just now bought a replacement that was supposed to work for my processor (K6-2 400 mhz). Everything fits just fine except for one problem, which is the power supply. The 3 prongs on the mobo where the fans power jack should be placed (IIRC) are not evenly spaced out, whereas the holes on the fans jack ARE spaced evenly (if that makes any sense). Basically, it doesnt fit.

So here are my questions:
1. Is it possible that compaq simply designed it this way so that I am forced to buy parts from them?
2. Is there any way I can somehow get this to work anyway?

Assmaster said:

1. Is it possible that compaq simply designed it this way so that I am forced to buy parts from them?

You got it. Most of the Compaqs i fixed have all sorts of shit like this that they pull. I got the cpu fan to work on an old compaq by soldering the fan wires to the pins. Just be careful of your mobo.

Hmm, guess that's what I'll have to do. Unfortunately I cant seem to find some decent documentation so I can at least figure out what to solder where.

Whatever you have, it can't be half as bad as owning a Hewlett Packard. Just to get it open I had to take it outside and apply large tools.

Then to gain access to the hardware, I had to insert a 7 digit code number into ctrl panel number three. After that I had to search for a Security chip and find out which wire was rigged to explode, then set up a bypass without setting off transistor no. 1475 which was connected to the three channel MOSFET, which happened to be set up to a controller that opened a large cage of nearby Wolverines if I didn't break circuit number 59837 first.

Actually, only the first part was true, but it was really hard.

I've been reading some help docs and apparently I could buy some sort of adapter to connect the fan directly to my power supply. Anyone know where I could find one?