Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xegethra

Make A_Jump work on enemy contact?

Hello,

So I've had this set up for a while now, and never managed to overcome it.

For my melee weapons I use the A_Jump set up, to give the appearance of varied health on the weapon before it breaks and you drop it, however it happens when you use it in mid air. I can't figure out how to have A_Jump only trigger when you hit another monster with the weapon. Is there a way I can do this, or do I have to go another route? I feel like it is halfway there but I just need it to activate on enemy contact as opposed to weapon use at all, because it is no good having the weapon break when it hits mid air.

Assuming you're using A_CustomPunch as the means to do damage with the weapon, that function allows you to set a puff. Depending on the thing you hit with melee attacks, the puff enters a specific state:

• Bleeding actor -> XDeath
  • Non-bleeding actor -> Melee
  • Wall/Ceiling/Floor -> Crash (if Crash doesn't exist, Melee is entered)
So set up your puff with Melee and XDeath states, and in them, give the player a counter item (for weapon durability).

Here is an example of such a puff:
actor KnucklesPuff : BulletPuff
{
    +PUFFGETSOWNER // So the puff knows what or who shot it.

States
    {
    Melee:
    XDeath:
        // Give the item to the puff's "target", which is the thing that shot it.
        // This relationship is established by setting the PUFFGETSOWNER flag.
        PUFF C 4 A_GiveInventory("DurabilityCounter", 1, AAPTR_TARGET)
        PUFF D 4
        Stop
    }
}
What's left to do is check for the durability item in the weapon after each attack.

I am using A_CustomPunch yeah.

I'm a little lost on this, I have made an item out of the new puff and I have tried to connect it to the weapon, but nothing seems to happen.

It seems this way would do the jump if it were in my inventory, so putting in AAPTR_TARGET or a name of an enemy doesn't seem to work either.

Spoiler

BOXP B 2 A_CustomPunch(1, 0, 0, "KnucklesPuff", 0, 0, 0, 0, "PFIST/PLGHHIT")
BOXP B 2 A_JumpIfInventory("DurabilityCounter", 1, "Death")

The durability item is something you need to make:

actor DurabilityCounter : Inventory
{
    Inventory.MaxAmount 10 // ... or whatever the value you want.
}

Ahh yes, thank you. O.K, I have managed to get it partly work. The durability item works when it hits an enemy, like it'll take a handful of hits before it gets broken, and due to the fluctuation of the damage dealt you may get an extra hit, or not....which is how I want it. Even if I have the probability of the A_Jump to always go to the jump, on an enemy the varied attacks make it fluctuate.

The problem is, I could not get it working at all, until I put in the A_Jump chance. But doing this still makes it break in mid air, I'll explain it in the code. I'll stick in the whole code for the weapon.

Spoiler

// Cardboard Box 1 Weapon 1 ---------------------------------------------------------------

ACTOR CardboardBox1 : weapon
{
    Game Doom
    Radius 30
    Height 30
    Weapon.SlotNumber 1
    Weapon.SelectionOrder 1900
    +FLOORCLIP
    +WEAPON.MELEEWEAPON
    +INVENTORY.QUIET
    States
    {
    Ready:
        BOXH A 1 A_WeaponReady(WRF_DISABLESWITCH)
        Loop
    Select:
        BOXH A 1 A_Raise
        Loop
    Deselect:
        BOXH A 1 A_Lower
        Loop
    Fire:
        BOXT A 2 A_PlaySound("PFIST/PSWNG1")
        BOXT B 2
        BOXP A 2
        BOXP B 2 A_CustomPunch(1, 0, 0, "KnucklesPuff", 0, 0, 0, 0, "PFIST/PLGHHIT")
        BOXP B 2 A_Jump(256, "DurabilityCounter == 0", "Death") *This jump chance, if it has a number will make it happen but still in mid air, it gives me an error along the lines of -"DurabilityCounter == 0", "Death" Not found it CarboardBox1-. Whether it hits an enemy or not. Setting it to 0 makes it not work at all, as I thought but tried it anyway. When it has a number, say 256 which will guarantee the jump, it only does so in mid air, one use and it jumps, but on an enemy the durability seems to kick in and I get a few hits. But in mid air, one hit every time. If I change it to A_JumpIf, then it doesn't jump at all, ever no matter the chance number.*
        BOXP A 2
        BOXT B 2
        BOXT A 2
        GoTo Ready
    ALTFire:
        BOXT A 0 A_Jump(256, "Fire2")
    Fire2:
        BOXT A 2 A_PlaySound("PFIST/PSWNG2")
        BOXT B 2
        BOXT C 3 A_FireCustomMissile("CardboardBoxThrown1")
        BOXT D 3  
        BOXT E 3 
        BOXT F 3 A_Takeinventory("CardboardBox1")
        Goto Ready
    Death:
        BOXH B 4 A_PlaySound("WOODSMASH/WOODSMH1")
        BOXH C 4 A_SpawnItem("CardboardBoxSmashed1")
        BOXH D 4 
        BOXH D 1 A_Takeinventory("CardboardBox1")
        Goto Ready
    }
}

// CardboardBox1UP---------------------------------------------------------------

ACTOR CardboardBox1PU1 15030
{
    Game Doom
    SpawnID 162
    Radius 13
    Height 16
    +USESPECIAL
    States
    {
    Spawn:
        CBX1 A -1
        Loop
    }
}

// Hurt Puff

actor KnucklesPuff : BulletPuff
{
    +PUFFGETSOWNER

States
    {
    Melee:
    XDeath:
        PUFF C 4 A_GiveInventory("DurabilityCounter", 1, AAPTR_TARGET)
        PUFF D 4
        Stop
    }
}

// Durability box

actor DurabilityCounter : Inventory
{
    Inventory.MaxAmount 10
}

So, I think I got it partially working?

A_Jump only jumps at random chance - if you give it multiple arguments after the first, those're states it can jump to, not added logic.

So, basically you're making code that that does an attack, then has a 100% chance to jump to either the Death state ... or the DurabilityCounter == 0 state, which obviously doesn't exist because you haven't defined it, so it just continues with the rest of Fire states.

What you want is either A_JumpIfInventory or A_JumpIf with CountInv. Additionally, you'll want to put +PUFFONACTORS on the puff, because otherwise it won't actually be spawned when you hit something that bleeds.

By Jove that fixed it! Thanks a bunch the both of you.

I went the A_JumpIfInventory route, and now the cardboard box will crumble on an opponent instantly!

*Edit*

How do I alter the item durability? I have figured out how to make separately working durabilities for each of the weapons all named after their respective weapons, one for the bat, one for the box and so on. But I want the bat to have more durability, but when I set the item to give an amount, lets say 100, and then the weapon to use 10 each hit, I should have have 10 hits before it breaks? But, I always get one hit, which is indeed fine for the weaker weapons.

Edited by Xegethra