Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Decay

Don't Be A Bitch: Diet Edition

Inspired by joe-ilya's inability to convert a zdoom map that uses advanced features, I experimented with "detuning" several maps from DBAB Remastered. The result is DBAB: Diet edition, featuring 1/3 the calories, 1/3 the sugar, and 1/3 the taste . It is compatible with Odamex, Zandronum, AND Zdaemon.

IAej3Nj.png

It's done! Grab it here

Screenshots

Spoiler

qRHRB57.png
azqylfz.png
X8GhW5n.png
fjjNjnP.png

Edited by Decay : Finished!

Ironic that detuning the maps will probably get them another spurt of activity from the other ports.

now where is Velocity RM

Combinebobnt said:

does gry's doom2 mapping actually work in doom2.exe now? time to downgrade even further perhaps...

Might be able to detune it further, I can't recall anything that really prevents it.

Most of the map selection was done based on ease of conversion, though I think I could only have pulled off a couple more maps without totally butchering the 3d floors.

Marcaek said:

now where is Velocity RM

New mp community project???????

https://www.sendspace.com/file/4oi97h updated link, previous one was broke
EDIT: updated again for HOMS in zdaemon

Best version yet 55/5

Edit: I'm not at my PC for a while, did you include the bootleg eon weps too?

No, these are all vanilla item placements, so you can use whatever add-ons you want with it. I'll add a link to the bootleg eon-weapons though after they've been playtested, for now this can stand alone.

FFA Server up on ZDaemon!

[Doomshack.org] Don't Be a Bitch NS FFA (Diet Version!) zds://doomshack.org:10690

Poor joe had to do boom format, lordy. At least you get thing bridges. There actually are a few more dbab maps that are like 1 thing bridge away from boom format though too. Aeon is the one where alot of the maps where half-3d floor and poor forage too.

I have a server up and running this on the WDL server cluster on Odamex. Looks good

On 2017-03-13 at 3:13 AM, Doomkid said:

FFA Server up on ZDaemon!

[Doomshack.org] Don't Be a Bitch NS FFA (Diet Version!) zds://doomshack.org:10690

On 2017-03-13 at 4:08 AM, Cupboard said:

Looks really good and I admire this project.

11 hours ago, Ralphis said:

I have a server up and running this on the WDL server cluster on Odamex. Looks good

Great, thanks all! Please post if anything crops up that rankles you or others, or if something just flat out breaks. A good example would be the teleports. DBAB used purely Teleport: No Stop, which isn't supported by zd or odamex, so I used Teleport: to Line instead. However, Teleport to Line doesn't play a sound or generate a teleport fog and keeps your orientation, where Teleport: No stop acts more like a traditional teleport that just carries your momentum. I'll see if I can get to the servers on both ports sometime this week and see if I can get some games played.

20 hours ago, Combinebobnt said:

Poor joe had to do boom format, lordy. At least you get thing bridges. There actually are a few more dbab maps that are like 1 thing bridge away from boom format though too. Aeon is the one where alot of the maps where half-3d floor and poor forage too.

Well, he said he could, but he can't :( Until I did this side project, I did not realize the both the extent to which we used 3D floors in AeonDM (or even many DBAB maps) and the extent to which they are absolutely critical to the maps (and they are EVERYWHERE in Aeon). I could probably pull off 16 converted DBAB maps, but only like 3 Aeon, though the remaining maps that could be converted are of dubious DM quality so I didn't bother.

Good luck on detuning my maps. :) Sea of Solaris will be a piece of cake (except for that outer building you can go into), but all of my other maps I don't think so...

So, again, Good Luck!

Can't be done. I opened up L'hospital's rule, since I had originally intended to include it, judging "hmm well I think it's only 1 bridge and some detail..." Yeah, no. Solaris? LOL no way, the entire middle section is a 3d floor. Arguably you could get away with transfer heights but that ruins the integrity because hitscan passes through the bridge things. Captive Satellite would be the only feasible map to convert but there is so much going on it's simply not worth the effort. I didn't plan on converting any other maps unless requested to, this was just an "aside" project when I get tired of work (without working on anything new).

So far as I'm aware the only things to do for a final output would be

1) Renaming the mapname from mapXX to DBABXX so the pack can be run with other packs

2) Potentially adding in rail gun spawn spots (both zdaemon and odamex natively support railguns I think? I don't know their thing id or requirements though)

3) Maybe add some play sounds for the teleports

2 minutes ago, Decay said:

Can't be done. I opened up L'hospital's rule, since I had originally intended to include it, judging "hmm well I think it's only 1 bridge and some detail..." Yeah, no. Solaris? LOL no way, the entire middle section is a 3d floor. Arguably you could get away with transfer heights but that ruins the integrity because hitscan passes through the bridge things. Captive Satellite would be the only feasible map to convert but there is so much going on it's simply not worth the effort. I didn't plan on converting any other maps unless requested to, this was just an "aside" project when I get tired of work (without working on anything new).

Rofl I forgot about that middle part that's a 3d Floor. Okay, never mind then.

Can't wait to see what Joe-Ilya does with the Heliomancers. Always loved those vanilla "bridges" and especially in deathmatch.

I could potentially whip up a zdoom compat bex file that makes bridge things block hitscans if that will help at all?

as a side note, yeah vanilla bridges are barf unless you remove that lift 'clunk' sound effect, but that's far from optimal.. So yeah screw that. Let me know if you want bridge things that block hitscan though, I'm 90% sure that's possible

Just updated the ZDaemon testing server for this!

Is it still 10 maps? I love this but I think at least adding 2-5 more maps will greatly help replayability. Obviously converting maps is no easy task and I guess an expansion wad could just be made afterwards or something, though. On map10, I noticed that there's texture glitching underneath one of the 3D bridges, and on map01 there's a little texture misalignment near the roof of the central courtyard, but they're both tiny issues. Will post screens soon.

@Doomkid Did you set a timer for 3 minutes? Waiting in that server was pretty painful.

I don't think I'll add anymore maps. There are no others from DBAB I think are worth pursuing and none from Aeon without extensive reconstruction if a hacky mechanism (solid bridge things) is even supported, which would still mostly look ugly anyway. These maps are a decent enough taste of the full DBAB pack. All I need to do is make a judgement call on the teleport functions and then call it a day.

Please do post screenshots of any errors though, I thought for sure I got them all.

Whoops, will put that 3 minute timer on once I get home. (Also ugh I forgot to post screenshots)

Grats on the release Decay; I look forward to decorating the areas with my questionably naked dead bodies.

It plays really damn well, hope to see it on ZDS at some point soon to really give it a proper whirl

On 2017-05-31 at 4:11 PM, Krawa said:

YEAH! Let's play for ZDS #509 - Don't Be A Bitch Diet Edition

Date: Saturday 3rd June 2017
Time: 19:30 GMT

ZDaemon Forum and

Sorry to be so late on replying (was absent) but thanks for running this on ZDS, looked like a good number of people showed up. From what I've seen people have been enjoying the pack, so that's great to see.