Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GeorgeCostanza94

I Still Think This Is A Great Game

So this games been out for over ten years, and Doom 4 has been out for about six months or whatever. Despite all of that, I still greatly enjoy this game. Am I alone here? I'm just starting a play through with his game with the Perfected Doom 3 mod, and it's so much fun, I just get so into it.

I enjoyed it as well. I do think that the scare-factor was a bit overblown by the media and the gaming public in general (it was spooky, but not THAT scary), but I still consider it one of the last great "corridor"-shooters of its time.

I haven't played any Doom 3 mods, but I'd like to give some of them a try some day. I've heard good things about that Thief-inspired mod, The Dark Mod I think it was called?

Doom 3 is a really fun game. I haven't finished it yet, mainly because I get panicked when I play horror games, so I keep in my desktop as a reminder. Also, I respect it a lot as a game, since it is what got me into Doom. It surely detracts a bit from classic Doom games, but what it loses in fast gameplay it gains even more in atmosphere and in games or movies I prefer atmosphere over cheap jumpscares (Doom 3 had well-planned and unexpected jumpscares though).

Also Agentbromsnor, it is indeed called the Dark Mod. I saw it on gggmanlives on youtube. I don't remember how it went as a review to be honest, but I think it was positive, despite some bugs or broken AI at times.

I'm replaying this right now, well, the bfg edition at least. Holy hell it's way easier then I remember.

3 minutes ago, Agentbromsnor said:

Co-op? That must have been through the use of a mod, no? I don't remember the vanilla game having co-op support.

Yes, using Last Man Standing mod.

It's a good casual FPS, for sure. Not hard at all but it's the kind of game meant to get inside your head. It really nailed me as a 16 year old, heh. I was too scared to play it when I was 12 when it originally came out. classic doom was too addicting anyway

It's a masterpiece of sci-fi horror that continues to age well and stand the test of time. Much like "The Thing" and "Alien." Similarly timeless movies, only Doom 3 is the beautiful incarnation of both of those things combined. It's a horror game, primarily. Action secondary. I've never had a problem with this.

45 minutes ago, RUSH said:

It's a horror game, primarily. Action secondary.

I wouldn't say that, personally. Agreed; it definitely has some strong horror influences, but the core gameplay still revolves around blasting monsters to bits. The focus isn't too much on survival, as there are plenty of ammo and health / armour pickups you can find throughout the game. Not to mention the big arsenal of weapons that we all know and love in Doom.

I like to compare the Doom games to the Alien franchise, because they have a lot in common in my opinion. Doom 3 seems to be more in tune with the kind of setting that the first Alien movie had, which was slow, atmospheric and creepy. The other games have more in common with Aliens, which puts a heavier focus on action. I think the first Doom game has the perfect balance between the two, where there's a strong action-focus, but things don't get ridiculously slaughter-y and it still has some atmospheric moments for its time.

^ True, I see what you're saying. Science fiction and horror lend themselves perfectly together, and the best releases in each genre tend to be a fusion of the two styles. Throw action into the mix and you get Doom 3, basically.

I think Doom has always been action-horror in terms of genre (and sci-fi too, I suppose), with every game putting a slightly heavier emphasis on either the action or the horror part.

Yeah. I kinda see it like this:

Horror <--------------------------------------> Action

Doom 3            Doom             BD            Doom 2016

That's fairly accurate I would say! Although even something like BD or Doom 4 has some horror-influences. :P

Would you place Doom 2 in the middle of that?

2 minutes ago, Agentbromsnor said:

Would you place Doom 2 in the middle of that?

Probably, I guess. Along with Plutonia and TNT. They're all fairly similar to be honest.

Hey, I forgot about Doom 64. Hmm, just shove it between Doom 3 and Doom. Yessir.

Also replayed D³ recently. And, for the first time, the expansion "Resurection of Evil".

FYI German DooM³ was released uncut, but the expansion was banned on release. (Does that make any sense?)

Had to import both games (original, not BFG) from the UK..

Anyway, I really love the game and never got the criticism it received.

It was a good game in its own right, it just never really felt like Doom to me.