Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Awesome work, Linguica. I'm saying this after I read about your attention to detail such as remembering last visited thread position and so on.

I like using the new forum software more on my phone but liked the old one more when using a PC. Oh well, it's not like I ever was a very active poster or even lurker here.

Also anybody concerned about post hell and blog content, don't worry. ^_^

(I just hope I didn't cause any problems for the server admins...)

35 minutes ago, xttl said:

Also anybody concerned about post hell and blog content, don't worry. ^_^

You did.

:(

Apologies for that then.

Is there anything else I should do besides just apologizing for that?

Hopefully it didn't at least cost anything other than time for anybody...

I really disliked the old layout and I think this one is much nicer. But man Post Hell was the perfect level of horrible garbage.

Also is Losers still around?

4 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Also is Losers still around?

No. We have a warning system now, which does more or less the same thing.

hi long time lurker here. i'm loving the new doomworld. good job on it everyone who worked on it :)

Gotta drop by and offer my 2¢ that the notifications system is a godsend—it's such an easy way to view and reply to posts! I think that and a couple other features are things that we're going to look back on in a few months and wonder how we survived without them.

After looking at the other forums for 15 years I kind of miss them.. Will just have to get used to this however because I doubt I am going away anytime soon.  What a change, Wow.

5 hours ago, Ichor said:

No. We have a warning system now, which does more or less the same thing.

But where all the shitty posts go? Sink into the mud?

5 hours ago, dobu gabu maru said:

Gotta drop by and offer my 2¢ that the notifications system is a godsend—it's such an easy way to view and reply to posts!

I've used this forum software elsewhere, and it is so much better than the previous system of (forgetting to) subscribe to threads and losing track of things.

6 hours ago, Glaice said:

But where all the shitty posts go? Sink into the mud?

Get hidden from view and possibly later deleted.

I'd like to take a moment to give Linguica thanks for preserving nearly all the content of the old forum.

I can think of at least one case where upgrading forums meant losing years of content (I'm looking at you, Wizards of the Coast.) It's fantastic to see a website admin who actually, y'know, cares about the stuff the users post.

So is the front page of the website coming back or are the forums now the main page?

15 hours ago, AgentSpork said:

https://www.doomworld.com/discover/

The entire "activity" subpage is pretty handy for that I'd say.

That's really handy, thanks. :)

48 minutes ago, Tompig said:

So is the front page of the website coming back or are the forums now the main page?

I don't think it is? Aside from the news there wasn't really much of value on the old homepage however, and that news is still accessible via:

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/20-doomworld-news/

53 minutes ago, Tompig said:

6 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

I don't think it is? Aside from the news there wasn't really much of value on the old homepage however,

I am reminded of an old Something Awful forums catchphrase that would get you banned instantly. "There's a front page?!"

4 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

and that news is still accessible via https://www.doomworld.com/forum/20-doomworld-news/

FWIW there is a reasonable facsimile of the old front page, but more in the style of the new software, at https://www.doomworld.com/news/ .

Rushing out a front page in the style of the old one would be a huge waste of opportunity. Maybe Ling has an idea of his own already, but that thing needs a massive overhaul, so I'd say slow and steady wins the race.

Reorganizing the link graveyard is one task, but I personally also believe the weekly MP announcements need to be ripped out of the main news feed and preferably put into its own (toggleable?) subsection. Its constant spam kinda interferes with regular, slower-burning news and push them out rapidly.

But you know, bikeshedding while the reactor room needs fixing...

1 hour ago, dew said:

Rushing out a front page in the style of the old one would be a huge waste of opportunity. Maybe Ling has an idea of his own already, but that thing needs a massive overhaul, so I'd say slow and steady wins the race.

Reorganizing the link graveyard is one task, but I personally also believe the weekly MP announcements need to be ripped out of the main news feed and preferably put into its own (toggleable?) subsection. Its constant spam kinda interferes with regular, slower-burning news and push them out rapidly.

But you know, bikeshedding while the reactor room needs fixing...

Agreed with all of the above. There are so many cool possibilities for the front page, and I'm excited to see what Ling comes up with for it, but the front page had been effectively dead for so long that I don't think there needs to be any real hurry to replace it. Just having the visibly active forums as DW's landing page for now shows far more community activity to a new visitor than the rarely-updated news and sidebar links to decades-old pages.

I like to hope that the new forum is motivating lurkers to come out of their shell and join up. We want you! I think streamlining losers and post hell might help shed some of the unapproachable nature the forum might have for people. As funny as losers and post hell could be, especially for long time members, I think it's possible they discourage some more shy people from posting out of fear of being put on display as an idiot.

Maybe I'm just projecting.

Personally I always skipped the front page and went to the forums. Really you just need to put "News" first with perhaps some hot news topics before the rest of the forums. If you care about more news you can just go into the news forum.

The site seems a bit more crammed now. Also blogs are gone, not sure if they have been replaced or if we should just post in everything else.

42 minutes ago, RestlessRodent said:

The site seems a bit more crammed now. Also blogs are gone, not sure if they have been replaced or if we should just post in everything else.

Status Updates is the new Blogs.

It's also the old Blogs.

7 hours ago, Gez said:

Get hidden from view and possibly later deleted.

That's a bit of a shame, I always found some entertainment by looking at Hell'd topics or segments split from a topic. I could still see a less colorful version of PH being possible.

4 hours ago, dew said:

but I personally also believe the weekly MP announcements need to be ripped out of the main news feed and preferably put into its own (toggleable?) subsection. Its constant spam kinda interferes with regular, slower-burning news and push them out rapidly.

What if there was a community news section? for these things and group mapping sessions and the like?

4 hours ago, dew said:

Am I missing something here or was condensing each event into a single news thread not enough? What's this other news that it interferes with?