Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have to say the new forum is pretty slick and I have to give Linguica props for moving pretty much moving everything over. 

1 hour ago, Eris Falling said:

Am I missing something here or was condensing each event into a single news thread not enough? What's this other news that it interferes with?

Say there's news like "Romero got off his butt and made a map"... it's a post with more longevity than "Next Sunday we play this wad on Zdaedromex", which expires on Sunday. I guess this could get resolved by stickying certain posts somehow, but then they'd hover over the regular ones and I think having a separate feed for the MP announcements would be more elegant anyway.

Hmm, stickying them would be akin to the top story feature on the original site, so I don't think that would be an issue actually. Having a separate feed for one type of news post when we already have the multiplayer forum seems quite needless so if we're going down that route wouldn't it just be better to scrap the digest entirely and hope that anyone who actually cares would be looking at the multiplayer forum anyway?

I meant a separate subsection (scroll box?) on the front page that doesn't scroll away the slower non-MP news so fast, not an entire separate page/tab/whatever. Surely that has added promotional value?

So, how do I do a "status update" that I'm seeing on other people's profiles? I've searched all over my profile page, and can't find the button, text box, hyperlink, or stone of summoning to do it.

Also, would it be appropriate to announce Doom-related uploads to my YouTube channel via status updates, or would that be considered shameless self-promotion that no one actually cares about?

1 minute ago, 42PercentHealth said:

So, how do I do a "status update" that I'm seeing on other people's profiles? I've searched all over my profile page, and can't find the button, text box, hyperlink, or stone of summoning to do it.

Also, would it be appropriate to announce Doom-related uploads to my YouTube channel via status updates, or would that be considered shameless self-promotion that no one actually cares about?

It took me a while to find it, too. Go to Edit Profile, then flip the "Enable status updates?" switch to on.

I don't think there would be a problem with using status updates that way, though if the announcements are too frequent it could get a bit spammy on the activity feed.

20 minutes ago, dew said:

I meant a separate subsection (scroll box?) on the front page that doesn't scroll away the slower non-MP news so fast, not an entire separate page/tab/whatever. Surely that has added promotional value?

It might help non-MP news a bit, but for the MP news itself, I'm not sure if the digest posts are actually having any impact on event turnout to begin with, heh.

User experience nitpick (not a bug): when I click on notifications, all unread ones are bold. But as soon as I see them, they're marked as read, so if I have multiple notifications, I have to remember which are new when I visit them one by one.

11 minutes ago, printz said:

User experience nitpick (not a bug): when I click on notifications, all unread ones are bold. But as soon as I see them, they're marked as read, so if I have multiple notifications, I have to remember which are new when I visit them one by one.

Seconded.

30 minutes ago, printz said:

It might be an oversight, but I think I actually prefer this way, as compared with other forums I've used notification systems on. It's convenient not having to manually clear them out one by one or click "mark as read" every single time.

I'd prefer not seeing the MP weekly news blurbs because they are of lesser importance to me. I prefer new release, general Doom news and likewise to come first.

Now that most of the AJAX stuff has been disabled and the private usage unicode icons are loading, the forum is nice. The way it keeps better track of read/unread status is a big improvement. Now I just hope that a way to toggle off the wysiwyg editor will eventually happen.

I see things improving as well, good work so far.

One question though: Are there links like "New posts since last visit" or "Your threads" just as in phpbb3? I find these useful 

2 minutes ago, Tormentor667 said:

I see things improving as well, good work so far.

One question though: Are there links like "New posts since last visit" or "Your threads" just as in phpbb3? I find these useful 

There is 'Unread Content' and 'Content I Started'.

1 minute ago, Tormentor667 said:

Maybe I am blind but where?

I saw unread content up at the top of the page, but that and content I started appears when you hover over 'Activity' at the top of the page.

I want an option to hide the rep system altogether. I do not want to see like buttons, or rep numbers, or anything related to it. It's a disgusting feature, but at least it would be easier to ignore if it could be made invisible.

23 minutes ago, Blastfrog said:

I want an option to hide the rep system altogether. I do not want to see like buttons, or rep numbers, or anything related to it. It's a disgusting feature, but at least it would be easier to ignore if it could be made invisible.

+1

I genuinely laughed. It may be at my expense, but I can appreciate a good joke when I see one. (it was only funny when Ling did it first, though)

In all seriousness, how trivial/nontrivial would it be to code in such an option? I can live with the feature if it's nontrivial to have it optional, but if it is trivial, I would very much appreciate it being looked into.

Most Online: 83

The old Doomworld Forums' Most Online number will never be reached, will it?

I guess I'm in the minority opinion that the new layout is just...not very good? Ironically, despite it being a modern design, I feel like I've gone back in time to the days of 640x480. Everything takes up so much space, but accomplishes so little. I gotta zoom out just to feel like I don't have my face pressed against the monitor, and that ends up with literally half my screen being empty margins.

The 15 subforum links on the front page of the forums don't even fit in 2 screens worth of space at 1600x900 with default zoom. Again, it's just so much space taken up, but most of it wasted.

18 hours ago, Pavera said:

I like to hope that the new forum is motivating lurkers to come out of their shell and join up. We want you! I think streamlining losers and post hell might help shed some of the unapproachable nature the forum might have for people. As funny as losers and post hell could be, especially for long time members, I think it's possible they discourage some more shy people from posting out of fear of being put on display as an idiot.

Maybe I'm just projecting.

I see the point of "losers" no longer having a bastion of hell to stay...to make sure that they don't make an ass of themselves further. 

The "Create" button should have an option to upload files to idgames, or that new Downloads section (are they the same ?).

10 hours ago, Shadelight said:

I didn't like it at first, but it's starting to grow on me. :)

Same here. Using it for a bit now and checking out the new profiles is changing my mind. It will always be different now but that doesn't mean it has to be a bad change. In fact I'm 100% sure it is a good change, we just have to get used to it.

7 hours ago, Voros said:

The old Doomworld Forums' Most Online number will never be reached, will it?

Sadly with the increased load the new software places upon it, I expect the server would grind to a halt well before anything like the figure of thousands seen before were reached. However, let's hope my pessimism is misplaced.

10 hours ago, Blastfrog said:

My observations so far, I have had more 'likes' for silly screenshots in the pictures thread than for long technical posts or attempts to help people and answer questions -- the latter get actual replies saying "thanks I'll try this" or "here's how <other port> solves the same problem" instead.

11 hours ago, Blastfrog said:

Funny thing is, you gained even 4+ rep with that post.

30 minutes ago, RjY said:

My observations so far, I have had more 'likes' for silly screenshots in the pictures thread than for long technical posts or attempts to help people and answer questions -- the latter get actual replies saying "thanks I'll try this" or "here's how <other port> solves the same problem" instead.

I agree with this too. People seem to press the [Like This] button on posts that are humorous/strange/mindblowing/announcements/confessions/anything that's not expected. Humans love that crap.

For example, I liked Battle_Kirby's post on the tropes of '90s Doom clones (or something like that) mainly because of the wacky fiction he crammed in there. 

Is there anyway to see status updates beyond the last 5? If it catches on and becomes super common, I'm sure there's going to be a lot of missed news that people didn't want to make a forum thread about if you're not already following the person.