Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

5 minutes ago, 40oz said:

Is there anyway to see status updates beyond the last 5? If it catches on and becomes super common, I'm sure there's going to be a lot of missed news that people didn't want to make a forum thread about if you're not already following the person.

What I did was create a filter for the activity feed, that only shows status updates. Assuming the link works for other users (it seems to work when I'm logged out, in any case), try this: https://www.doomworld.com/discover/21/

Finally got my head around the new forum, I'm liking it. slightly new age/trendy for me, makes me feel old. Like the new features thou. I'm number 176, that's good I think.

Good work guys! 

EDIT: ok I'm stuck, how do you do status updates?

I can sorta get Soda's beef with a rep system since vapid/random stuff is often what gets likes and thus builds rep, but what's wrong with the likes themselves? Fuck typing out a fluff post to agree with someone when I can just like it! I don't image the rep system is going anywhere, but if it does, please keep likes in place :)

(fwiw, I really like the rep system anyway)

17 minutes ago, Liberation said:

Finally got my head around the new forum, I'm liking it. slightly new age/trendy for me, makes me feel old. Like the new features thou. I'm number 176, that's good I think.

Good work guys! 

EDIT: ok I'm stuck, how do you do status updates?

Click Edit Profile on your profile page, then in the popup that comes up, check off "Enable status updates?"

4 minutes ago, esselfortium said:

Click Edit Profile on your profile page, then in the popup that comes up, check off "Enable status updates?"

Hey, thank you very much!

29 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

I can sorta get Soda's beef with a rep system since vapid/random stuff is often what gets likes and thus builds rep, but what's wrong with the likes themselves? Fuck typing out a fluff post to agree with someone when I can just like it! I don't image the rep system is going anywhere, but if it does, please keep likes in place :)

Hey there Doomkid, I don't have much time, but this post really gave me a new perspective on the new forum life and I wanted to say I completely agree with everything you are saying here and I very much hope that you will be accepting of this token of my eternal approval of your post. Thanks <3

9 minutes ago, Eris Falling said:

Hey there Doomkid, I don't have much time, but this post really gave me a new perspective on the new forum life and I wanted to say I completely agree with everything you are saying here and I very much hope that you will be accepting of this token of my eternal approval of your post. Thanks <3

I wish there was a "heh" button so that I could heh this post.

Heh.

That's a bit confusing... 

Well umm... new forum design is... good, I guess? Can't be sure in, but hey, now it look more modern.

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

Fuck typing out a fluff post to agree with someone when I can just like it! I don't image the rep system is going anywhere, but if it does, please keep likes in place :)

I'm in agreeance with this. before, in order to show that we appreciated something we'de have to make a comment that a like could have done just as well if not better. likes leads to less forum cluter then.

Just thought of a useful feature request.

Could it be possible to link peoples accounts to the download section? So you can see all the wads they have made via there profile?

So how long does it take for a WAD to be in the new Downloads section? Mine is already on the old Idgames but not in the new section.

6 hours ago, Voros said:

Funny thing is, you gained even 4+ rep with that post.

I agree with this too. People seem to press the [Like This] button on posts that are humorous/strange/mindblowing/announcements/confessions/anything that's not expected. Humans love that crap.

For example, I liked Battle_Kirby's post on the tropes of '90s Doom clones (or something like that) mainly because of the wacky fiction he crammed in there. 

Problem is that likes are given when you appreciate what they say, but have nothing to comment. When I reply to someone, I don't also like their post, because I consider replying to be a superior reward. It's too bad that measuring reputation based on replies is harder.

I just noticed the forums got a serious makeover. So far I'm liking it. Finally I can have the _ in my name.

The new forum is great and has all the features a forum in 2017 should have. That being said, forgive me if anybody has mentioned it before, is the cycling banner pictures per load coming back?

A question about the like limit: what is the interval in which we are allowed 25 likes: a rolling 24-hr period? from one (e.g.) 12:00 GMT to the next? Just asking so I can use daily surplus likes on posts I enjoyed in the past without running out of likes for more active posts. 

(I'm a nerd lol.) 

1 hour ago, rdwpa said:

A question about the like limit: what is the interval in which we are allowed 25 likes:

If you're even close to this situation, the question you need to ask yourself: do I like things too much? The answer: Yes.

3 hours ago, dew said:

If you're even close to this situation, the question you need to ask yourself: do I like things too much? The answer: Yes.

pffftt, na. I like liking comments and the like.

i just came back after about a week of not going on here, and jesus christ the change scared the hell outta me

tbh i like the old theme better, but i'm sure that this'll grow on me

Honestly, this seems like a downgrade. A lot of fancy graphics, a lot of moving parts that ultimately do nothing except make the site eat up more RAM, very mobile-focused with no thought spared for people who still remember how a proper computer works, and an incredibly generic design that could have literally been any other forum site if not for the banner at the top. Doomworld has basically lost all of its character. Also, where is the wiki?

Also, what the hell is this Steam/Twitter/Facebook/Google+ bullshit? Do we really have to force this social media nonsense into everything? Can't we just have a fucking forum, you know, for discussing stuff?

Edited by Solarn

You honestly need to get off your high horse and stop acting like a spoiled little shit!

4 hours ago, Solarn said:

with no thought spared for people who still remember how a proper computer works

Elaborate on this please. The website works better than it used to on 'a proper computer', with hotkeys and other PC exclusive features added.

Do we really have to force this social media nonsense into everything?

Do we really have to complain about every little thing we don't like for a service you've paid nothing for? Ignore the features you don't like. If they bother you that much, install adblock or some other plugin and disable the parts of the site you don't like.

Can't we just have a fucking forum, you know, for discussing stuff?

Explain what the new features have done to prevent discussions taking place? Everything you see here is a discussion point and has, in my honest opinion, only increased the amount of discussion taking place since before the update.

very mobile-focused with no thought spared for people who still remember how a proper computer works

Uhh, I prefer to access my message boards from a devoted piece of computer hardware, thank you very much?? Fucking millenials and their phones and their social media - you're totally ruining Doomworld!!

5 hours ago, Solarn said:

Honestly, this seems like a downgrade. A lot of fancy graphics, a lot of moving parts that ultimately do nothing except make the site eat up more RAM, very mobile-focused with no thought spared for people who still remember how a proper computer works, and an incredibly generic design that could have literally been any other forum site if not for the banner at the top. Doomworld has basically lost all of its character. Also, where is the wiki?

Also, what the hell is this Steam/Twitter/Facebook/Google+ bullshit? Do we really have to force this social media nonsense into everything? Can't we just have a fucking forum, you know, for discussing stuff?

If your computer and attitude aren't 10 years old, RAM and modern services shouldn't be a problem.

Building for mobile devices is called "Responsive Design" where the website adjusts it's display to offer the best possible view on as many devices as possible so that as many users as possible get the best impression on whatever device they are using.

As a webdesigner for 7 years I can say that building a static website that isn't viewable properly on mobile devices is a waste of time.

The forum functions are the same or better and it doesn't need to conform to your obtuse projected frustrations.

Random angry ranting

*Happy Millennial with his fancy smartphone-thingy waves*

I admit, I don't even use a CRT monitor any more.

Reading some of the comments in this thread reminds me why I dont work in IT support no more and have stopped being a webmaster for friends, as a hobby etc. The level of ungratefulness is dibsturbing.

Honestly, this seems like a downgrade. A lot of fancy graphics, a lot of moving parts that ultimately do nothing except make the site eat up more RAM, very mobile-focused with no thought spared for people who still remember how a proper computer works, and an incredibly generic design that could have literally been any other forum site if not for the banner at the top.

If you had read Linguica's post you'd know that there wasn't really anywhere else for the forum to go. The old software was so hacked together upgrading it to anything was a monumental task, and to leave it as it was would inevitably invite disaster (I'm actually surprised to site hadn't been jacked up years ago). This wasn't something he did because he was bored one day. 

Though I'm still getting used to it, I feel like the new design will bring the community closer together and foster a better, more cohesive group. Also LOL @ RAM usage in 2017. Get real dude. 

2 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

Elaborate on this please. The website works better than it used to on 'a proper computer', with hotkeys and other PC exclusive features added.

Everything is oddly big with massive margins and padding everywhere and lots of empty space on either side of the actual content, of which there is a minuscule amount actually on my screen at any given time because of the previous points.

Do we really have to complain about every little thing we don't like for a service you've paid nothing for? Ignore the features you don't like. If they bother you that much, install adblock or some other plugin and disable the parts of the site you don't like.

Yes, because it's alright to cobble together any old pile of garbage as long as people can use outside help to make it work for them. That's a totally rational way of doing things.

Explain what the new features have done to prevent discussions taking place? Everything you see here is a discussion point and has, in my honest opinion, only increased the amount of discussion taking place since before the update.

I don't have and will never have social media accounts. From everything I've seen, they are pure poison on every level. So all the new discussion (really, mostly just old discussions moved off-site) is inaccessible to me.

1 hour ago, Pinchy said:

If your computer and attitude aren't 10 years old, RAM and modern services shouldn't be a problem.

Speaking as someone who lives on a budget and generally multitasks on his computer, it's not nothing. RAM gets tied up incredibly quickly just from two or three programs running simultaneously.

1 hour ago, Pinchy said:

Building for mobile devices is called "Responsive Design" where the website adjusts it's display to offer the best possible view on as many devices as possible so that as many users as possible get the best impression on whatever device they are using.

As a webdesigner for 7 years I can say that building a static website that isn't viewable properly on mobile devices is a waste of time.

The old site was perfectly viewable on mobile devices though without containing all this bullshit that makes no sense on a desktop computer. But it's what mobile apps look like, so I guess that's what everything should look like from now on, no matter that mobile apps look like that because of the limitations of mobile devices compared to desktop computers, approximately none of which apply to online forums.

57 minutes ago, Bauul said:

*Happy Millennial with his fancy smartphone-thingy waves*

I admit, I don't even use a CRT monitor any more.

You do know monitors have LEDs these days, right?

37 minutes ago, Eris Falling said:

There's no link to it from Doomworld though, which was my point.

20 minutes ago, Use said:

If you had read Linguica's post you'd know that there wasn't really anywhere else for the forum to go. The old software was so hacked together upgrading it to anything was a monumental task, and to leave it as it was would inevitably invite disaster (I'm actually surprised to site hadn't been jacked up years ago). This wasn't something he did because he was bored one day. 

Which is understandable, but he could have done something better than this. As I was writing this very reply, my text started going backwards for some incomprehensible reason without me having pushed anything and I had to rewrite it.