Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

5 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

Possibly, but Linguica's already having to do their best to reduce how much strain the new software is placing on the server. Polling the entirety of the idgames database every time someone's profile is viewed wouldn't be an option. It would need to be pre-generated and updated automatically when new files are uploaded.

Since you now have to upload with a valid email address, this could be crossreferenced with the email address you provided when registering on the forums.

Yeah, that sounds much more efficient!

18 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

It would need to be pre-generated and updated automatically when new files are uploaded.

Yes, you'd do it once, when a new idgames ftp upload is imported into Doomworld's file database. The system is already parsing authorship info out of the standard-form text file and has been for years -- presumably all that is then stored in some database which is used to generate the idgames frontend pages. Once the email is verified as required by the idgames ftp upload process and the file ready to be inserted into the frontend database you'd have an extra cross join or whatever to match it with email addresses in the Doomworld user database and insert a reference to the resulting user into the file database.

The idgames database doesn't contain anyone's email addresses though. It's automatically stripped out of the text files before they reach the database (that Doomworld then grabs a copy of).

As far as I'm aware, there's no direct link between anything in idgames and DW, and certainly not enough to automate the process.

You could do a kind of retrospective "claiming" process where a member here claims a wad, but you'd want it to be admin controlled (to stop people claiming wads that aren't there's) and I highly doubt Ling fancies doing that for every new map that appears!

It won't work by crossreferencing email addresses. As it is now you don't need a public email address to upload a file, and for old files, there is no guarantee that the email address in the text file is still valid. The process for claiming an existing file is going to have to be manual and for new files the preferred method will be to upload it *through* Doomworld.

I think it'd be automatable (Is that a word? Automatable? We'll go with it for now.) for new uploads, but claiming past uploads would certainly have to be manually managed.

Ninja'd by Linguica, had the tab open too long heh.

5 hours ago, Linguica said:

For new files the preferred method will be to upload it *through* Doomworld.

Does this mean you're working on an HTML front-end upload process for idgames submissions, or that Doomworld will splinter from idgames and have its own wad depository (that feeds into Downloads along with idgames)?  

My apologies if you've explained this already and I missed it.

2 minutes ago, Memfis said:

Can you please add an option to comment on a wad without giving it a star rating?

Why would you want to comment without rating? I use the rating so that I can tell generally how well-liked a WAD is without needing to read all the comments.

I've had cases on WADs I've released where it's required me to converse with players on the idgames frontend. At which point, I've had to supply a rating to maintain the current rating when really I'd rather not dick with the rating at all and let the public sort the rating out.

5 minutes ago, GooberMan said:

I've had cases on WADs I've released where it's required me to converse with players on the idgames frontend. At which point, I've had to supply a rating to maintain the current rating when really I'd rather not dick with the rating at all and let the public sort the rating out.

OK, makes sense...

I dislike the idea of associating works of art with numbers. I would prefer to just write words.

3 minutes ago, Memfis said:

I dislike the idea of associating works of art with numbers. I would prefer to just write words.

I have the mind of a mathematician -- to me, all the world is numbers. Letters are what you use if you don't know the exact value of the numbers. ;-)

I think the "Edited X minutes ago" text is too close to the body of the message, almost looking like a part of it. And it's bold. Maybe it should be a part of the "Posted Y minutes ago" text? Less intrusive this way, while still providing the information.

Apologies if someone mentioned this, but you can see what someone is currently viewing (if they're viewing) by hovering over their name.

On 3/14/2017 at 4:57 AM, RUSH said:

Is there a way to restore the 5 minute time frame for editing a post? Now it says "Edited X minutes ago" at any point after the original post is made. Which is pretty annoying, to be honest. I liked having a few extra minutes to iron out the typo errors, like it used to allow previously. Because I'm borderline retarded when it comes to proofreading what I write.

This was annoying me a bit too, tbh, but I just realized why it's a practical idea -- with the new like system, you don't want a scenario where someone makes a good post, someone immediately likes it, and then they quickly edit their post to say "I love Hitler" or something.

4 hours ago, Tormentor667 said:

For something else: Wouldn't it make sense to have the "News" page the landing page again and not the forum?

Not when the forums are infinitely more attention grabbing than the news page ever was.

A news page or some other kind of home page might be more user-friendly for a first-time visitor. Something that perks their interest, rather than a big ol forum.

I think a more developed news page could potentially make for a great front page for the site, pulling in news posts as well as active forum threads, relevant posts from other Doom blogs, new or popular project uploads (and devlogs?), and other things like that to really make it a visible hub of community activity. In the meantime, though, it makes sense to have the forums themselves be the home page, since this is where most of that activity happens.

I think it's been mentioned elsewhere in here already, but the DW news page was essentially "Weekly multiplayer digest" with occasional /newstuff updates for months on end. The news page needs to be far more dynamic than that.

We have the hot topics panel on the forum index page now. I wonder how that would fare as a stand-in for a front page, with "promoted" content mixed in, ie things that actually are news. Something along the lines of reddit but far more formalised.

The hell is this new UI? I can't find any posts about the redesign of the website, is there anyway to set it back? I noticed posthell is gone, but man this UI just seems like the windows 10 start menu, in fact I shouldn't even give it that.

On 3/22/2017 at 1:07 PM, Bauul said:

Does this mean you're working on an HTML front-end upload process for idgames submissions, or that Doomworld will splinter from idgames and have its own wad depository (that feeds into Downloads along with idgames)?  

Uh, both. People will be able to upload files and *optionally* push them to idgames. The idea is that doing so lets you reclaim the space available to you. 

23 hours ago, rdwpa said:

This was annoying me a bit too, tbh, but I just realized why it's a practical idea -- with the new like system, you don't want a scenario where someone makes a good post, someone immediately likes it, and then they quickly edit their post to say "I love Hitler" or something.

If someone does that kind of shit they'll just get weeded out regardless. No one has time for those kinds of morons. I miss having a brief moment to fix typos too, but it's not a big deal either way.

On 3/23/2017 at 8:53 PM, Da Werecat said:

I think the "Edited X minutes ago" text is too close to the body of the message, almost looking like a part of it. And it's bold. Maybe it should be a part of the "Posted Y minutes ago" text? Less intrusive this way, while still providing the information.

Yep, fully agree with that.

Did the old links on user profiles still not working? Can somebody explain situation.

On 23.3.2017. at 3:43 PM, GooberMan said:

this please