Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

9 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

^Having an option that only shows status updates by people you have on your follow list doesn't sound too bad, actually.

While I understand the point, I think a majority of users would use this feature, potentially excluding new or unfamiliar faces. Being able to set statuses as "followers only" or "public" would be better. Messages from one person from another though, should probably have a setting for private or public. Though I don't doubt that's already WIP or planned, and saying this is totally pointless.

It's not a terrible idea, but I don't think it's that great either. Some people may post updates that you might be interested in but won't see because you're not following them, and vice versa.

1 Status Update Per Day sounds a like good way to handle the the activity of spam updates. It would force people to at least write something that matters.

11 minutes ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

Not everyone should know that someone followed me or other person in status updates.

Currently people who choose to follow someone can opt to have that follow be "invisible", I believe. Also, followers being visible for others isn't a bad thing from my point of view, as it encourages people to look at who they may or may not want to interact with, which ultimately is one of the many reasons this forum feels a lot more connected than the previous one did, in my opinion.

But in general I think an option not to display followers for those who want that isn't bad either. Probably depends on how many people would want this to begin with. After all, it's actually everybody's own decision how much they are willing to share or not, and if followers fall into a category which people don't want to share with others, then it's not too bad to let them choose to do so.

Or maybe move them in new section only visible for members,but when interesting topics won't get attention. It's hard to think about this problem. I mean status updates. 

11 minutes ago, Decay said:

While I understand the point, I think a majority of users would use this feature, potentially excluding new or unfamiliar faces. Being able to set statuses as "followers only" or "public" would be better.

Sure, having the option for status updates might be the better way of doing things in general. The "success" will still depend on people actually knowing what they're doing when given that choice, however.

I'd argue that most of the follows are a result of interacting on the actual forums themselves, rather than being based on status updates. But that's probably hard to evaluate in general, since people are different after all.

The point about the majority of users using this feature is still saying something about how many people might deem it desireable, for better or for worse. I wouldn't deem it "bad" to encourage people to participate in discussions on the actual forums, if they want to get in touch. You have a strong case though, so I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this at this point. "Mixed feelings" probably does it justice...

I'm starting to feel like status updates in general have been a failed experiment and I should remove them entirely.

Personally I never read any of them, kind of antithetical to the idea of visiting a forum

25 minutes ago, Linguica said:

I'm starting to feel like status updates in general have been a failed experiment and I should remove them entirely.

I don't think they failed.

I like them, it's not like it's hard to scroll past the spammy ones, they even typically have the same profile pictures.

A "block" option would be nice (for certain people). That's all you need really.

2 hours ago, Linguica said:

Revert back to the members-only Blogs forum.

2 hours ago, Linguica said:

In spite of being pretty annoyed by seeing how people spam those willy-nilly (and being quite vocal about it), I like to believe they can be a very valuable feature to have, since I've had some nice side-discussions here and there that I couldn't have had otherwise.

To be fair, the question "What's on your mind?" doesn't necessarily imply that it would be desireable to put something Doom-related up there, and share it with the community, or anything that goes beyond "I just followed you'n'stuff", for that matter. On the other hand, I think it's okay to have the occasional non-content there as well, but it simply shouldn't be "spammable".

Removing them entirely means removing a potentially useful feature, which can also serve to keep the actual forums clean of relatively arbitrary threads popping up left and right. That being most likely a plus that is worthwhile to have, in my opinion.

MrGlide is right saying that it's easy to "scroll past" the notoriously uninteresting ones made by certain usual suspects, however it doesn't change the fact that these content-free-one-liner-updates push the actually meaningful ones away. This phenomenon is common place, especially during weekends it's quite hefty...

Unless it's feasible to rework status updates so they can be actually ignored, without any trace of them ever having been there, I feel like limiting them is a good way to start. It would also avoid most discussions as to what is a good way to use a status update or not. If we stick to the example of granting users one update per day (which I think is more than ample enough), they'd be free to use this one update anyway they want, because it's "their's", while at the same time a restriction might make people think twice on occasion (hopefully).

People should realize that status updates aren't to be used like an instant messenger, which I believe is a good example of how to abuse an actual privilege.

Edited by Nine Inch Heels

If you are going to remove them then I would hope you could bring back blogs somehow.

14 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

To be fair, the question "What's on your mind?" doesn't necessarily imply that it would be desireable to put something Doom-related up there, and share it with the community, or anything that goes beyond "I just followed you'n'stuff", for that matter. On the other hand, I think it's okay to have the occasional non-content t

People should realize that status updates aren't to be used like an instant messenger, which I believe is a good example of how to abuse an actual privilege.

You really don't have to be subtle about it with me. ;)

16 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

But the status update feature basically just that. Everything about it reminds me of Facebook's status update.

Why can't you hit the ignore button on these people Nine? Why is that solution for a very few specific people not applicable?

1 hour ago, MrGlide said:

Why can't you hit the ignore button on these people Nine? Why is that solution for a very few specific people not applicable?

Because the ignore feature doesn't work on status updates, and I wouldn't be as vocal about it as I am, if it was actually possible to have the ignore function weed out that stuff perhaps?

EDIT: Don't make the mistake to think for a second I'd concern myself with this particular topic if it was possible to simply check a box and be done with it.

Edited by Nine Inch Heels

MEGA bump for two mini suggestions:

On the landing page, it would be nice if "Recent status updates" was a clickable link and you could view the last 30-40 or so. Sometimes I want to reply to one an hour or so after it was posted and it's nearly impossible to find if you don't remember who actually posted it in the first place. Super minor but it would be a nice little option.

Another suggestion is to change the dark blue "Download this file" button on files to be a bright green instead. I know blue and green should not be seen, but as it is now the button blends into the background a bit too much, the 'report this file' and 'like this' buttons actually pop out more (to me) on first glance.

Example:

5DPnlqx.gif

7CBdEko.gif

Minor suggestions, still loving the new software half a year in!

21 hours ago, Doomkid said:

On the landing page, it would be nice if "Recent status updates" was a clickable link and you could view the last 30-40 or so. Sometimes I want to reply to one an hour or so after it was posted and it's nearly impossible to find if you don't remember who actually posted it in the first place. Super minor but it would be a nice little option.

It's not quite as convenient, but you can include this filter in your activity streams. Then you'll find it by clicking "Activity > My Activity Streams" on the top bar, and it'll be under Custom Streams called "Recent Status Updates". (I made it a while back for easy searching, and also so I'm not counted as having viewed a member page because of extreme paranoia.)

The very first custom public Status Update stream created is stream 14, which was made by Jewellds during the first week (or first few days) of new Doomworld. Just saying. I'm still subscribed to this.

stream 15 are my status updates alone :P