Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mechadon

What are you listening to?

Okay, so back to my regularly scheduled hardcore mayhem.

I was really stunned last night when I discovered that Discharge had released a new album in 2016. Like, how did I miss that? Talk about sleepwalking through life. ;D I listened to the whole thing and it's clearly their best release since 1982's "Hear Nothing, See Nothing, Say Nothing," IMO the greatest hardcore punk album ever released, and one that had immense influence, perhaps even more on various types of extreme metal than it did on punk. 

So take it away, Discharge!

I swear this is the shittiest band logo I've ever seen, but I can ignore that since the music is so brilliant. And the album cover? Yeah, that's incredible as well.

22 hours ago, Agent6 said:

@PizzaGuy If only he wouldn't change the vocal style he had in the early days, including his time with Monstrosity (see Imperial Doom). I just find the new and current style lame, and are the main reason I rarely ever listen CC these days, there's just better vocal styles in death metal (see Demigod, God Macabre, Malevolent Creation, Purtenance (both old and new, ...to Spread the Flame of Ancients slays), Aeon, Sulphur Aeon, Disma and Funebrarum in particular, Craig and Daryl are fucking monstrous, Adramelech, Benediction (both old and new), Brutality, Betrayer, Bolt Thrower, Disincarnate, Evocation, Demonical, Entrails, Blood, Excruciate, Golem, Timeghoul, and so on, that's just to name a couple of my favorites). I'm not saying that he's weak, I just wish he'd use his old style more (judging after some videos I've managed to run into a few months ago, he still uses that style, but on rare occasions nowadays).

You sure know your death metal. I gotta admit I'm a very casual fan of the genre but no doubt his voice has changed a lot over the years , I guess it comes with age to certain people.

20 minutes ago, PizzaGuy said:

You sure know your death metal. I gotta admit I'm a very casual fan of the genre but no doubt his voice has changed a lot over the years , I guess it comes with age to certain people.

Well, yeah, but it's only expected to know a variety of bands from different genres that you like xd.

It's not age though, he used that style only for a short time after leaving Monstrosity, and then swapped it for the current one. It's a similar situation like Glen Benton really, he used a style on the debut album and after that changed it, never to be reused.

@Mayhem666 Eh, no problem :v , but for me, Slugathor will always be among the bands who press virtually all the right buttons for my kind of death metal.

Song is "Something To Believe," by The Bravery. Good song, I like it, but I chose this video because Great Lakes Surfing, yo! We're talking Lake Michigan just south of Chicago at a spot known as Breakers in Whiting, Indiana. You get to surf in brutal cold in the shadow of a steel mill, Woo Hoo! I hope to do it myself one of these days.

On 1/10/2018 at 4:48 PM, Agent6 said:

@varth Demigod is life, As I Behold I Despise is my favorite track 👊.

From the finnish scene I missed Purtenance though. Damn if Member of Immortal Damnation doesn't sound otherwordly, and are also among the few bands that are still slaying after reforming, another one would be Morgoth, unlike other acts such as Morta Skuld (shit, just... what happened on the new album...).

Well if you haven't heard of Demonical (both surprising and odd honestly, since you know Centinex and they share members) they're well worth your time, great quality. Talking about Slugathor, I used to miss them a lot but lately I've come to see Desecresy as pretty much its natural evolution.

Man oh man I fucking love Purtenance, I lucky to nab up a used copy of the double LP of Member of Immortal Damnation and have even considered getting the skeletal reaper/horse tattooed on my arm, I'm not much a tattoo guy but I've always wanted a death metal tattoo. Morgoth and Morta Skuld have went to the shitter which was common in the mid 90s, but man, no band fell further than Kam Lee's Massacre, this is like Morbid Angel's Illud Divine Anus album only 20 years earlier! It is the worst fucking transition I've ever heard a competent death metal band make! The fact they were so good at a more death thrash style than the standard Cannibal Corpse/Suffocation sound makes it worse in my eyes.

But odd as it is I haven't heard Demonical, I have that Lobotomy album with the great artwork then a later more black metal sounding record on LP but I don't listen to them much.

On 1/11/2018 at 6:48 PM, Steve D said:

Okay, so back to my regularly scheduled hardcore mayhem.

I was really stunned last night when I discovered that Discharge had released a new album in 2016. Like, how did I miss that? Talk about sleepwalking through life. ;D I listened to the whole thing and it's clearly their best release since 1982's "Hear Nothing, See Nothing, Say Nothing," IMO the greatest hardcore punk album ever released, and one that had immense influence, perhaps even more on various types of extreme metal than it did on punk. 

So take it away, Discharge!

Man anytime someone mentions Discharge I am compelled to share this incredible article with a great sound file to listen along with, this is very much worth your time and fucking hilarious http://theappendix.net/issues/2013/7/rules-of-the-tribe-hardcore-punks-and-hair-metal-in-the-1980s  

Siberian Meat Grinder is what happens when you let a bunch of Muscovites listen to Agnostic Front. So AF had to send Vinnie Stigma to Russia to strangle their Bear Tsar. ;D

29 minutes ago, varth said:

Man anytime someone mentions Discharge I am compelled to share this incredible article with a great sound file to listen along with, this is very much worth your time and fucking hilarious http://theappendix.net/issues/2013/7/rules-of-the-tribe-hardcore-punks-and-hair-metal-in-the-1980s  

Thanks, Varth!

Oh, I remember those days. There are a lot of bands I wanted to see but never saw, and Discharge was one of them. A buddy of mine saw them in Chicago on their first tour and said they were awesome.

Grave New World was indeed a huge, huge disaster. Kind of like when Cockney Rejects went mainstream rock on The Wild Ones and produced that horrible, horrible album. It was the end of the street-punk legends, but it was still better than Grave New World.

There are ways Discharge could have gone metal and have it accepted. After all, they were mostly metal already, from their very first singles and EPs, but even moreso with their later "Anger Burning" and "Born To Die In The Gutter" material, the Pooch Era. Everybody noticed from the start that they played chunky metallic riffs, just very, very fast. This is almost certainly the reason they had more influence on metal than on punk. Metalheads recognized their soul brothers. This even goes to so many of the punk bands influenced by Discharge going metal themselves. A perfect example in the Seattle scene -- a little ways back I put up some Accused and Fartz material. One of the Accused songs was "Buried Alive," which was originally a Fartz song. Then The Fartz changed their name to 10 Minute Warning and did another version. Duff McKagen played in that band for awhile. He started in the Seattle punk scene and, like so many of the people in that scene, emerged from Roosevelt High School. When Fartz/10 Minute Warning vocalist Blaine Cook went to The Accused, he took "Buried Alive" with him. If you listen to it, it's obviously a Discharge homage, and it made the full circuit from its punk origin in The Fartz to its eventual crossover thrash version in The Accused.

And there was hardly any change. ;D

Therefore, Discharge could have been a perfect crossover thrash band. It was made to order for them. Instead, bands like Suicidal Tendencies, Agnostic Front and Cro-Mags took that route, while Discharge "evolved" into a lame glam band. Which is not to say that glam is lame, because it produced a lot of great rock and roll, it's just that Discharge sucked at it.

At least Discharge has finally done what they should have done back then. IMO, they kick unholy ass as crossover thrash today.

This is not to ignore the point about constricting purity in underground scenes. Then again, Discharge was scoring big sales in the UK on the Indie Rock Charts and even the Top 40, as were many punk bands because they were actually played on the radio, I gather. By contrast, American labels and record stations colluded to keep punk off the air, starting in about 1979 or '80, which is when they stopped signing punk/underground acts. Punk was already mostly DIY, but it wasn't a way to earn a great living. Also, IMO it's not true that punk was "dead" in the early '80s or even mid-'80s. The First Wave bands were over the hill, but new waves kept rising. No scene ever truly dies anymore, and this has been true since rock and roll started in the '50s. There is, for example, still a lively rockabilly scene. Indeed, there might be more punks today than there were in my time. ;)

13 hours ago, PizzaGuy said:

Loved this track back in the day , funny how it wound up on a shampoo advert.

Never heard this before. Really enjoyed it. The video earns 8 million cool points for the 1956 Chrysler Imperial.

Really fun video for this song. Too bad about the horrible 240p quality, but still worth it, methinks.

Listen to "AC/DC - Thunderstruck", while watching the battleships from World of Warships.

Today is a good day.

6 hours ago, Steve D said:

Never heard this before. Really enjoyed it. The video earns 8 million cool points for the 1956 Chrysler Imperial.

Yeah agreed for sure, That debut Transplants still holds up and that song is a beaut.

10 hours ago, varth said:

Man oh man I fucking love Purtenance, I lucky to nab up a used copy of the double LP of Member of Immortal Damnation and have even considered getting the skeletal reaper/horse tattooed on my arm, I'm not much a tattoo guy but I've always wanted a death metal tattoo. Morgoth and Morta Skuld have went to the shitter which was common in the mid 90s, but man, no band fell further than Kam Lee's Massacre, this is like Morbid Angel's Illud Divine Anus album only 20 years earlier! It is the worst fucking transition I've ever heard a competent death metal band make! The fact they were so good at a more death thrash style than the standard Cannibal Corpse/Suffocation sound makes it worse in my eyes.

NICE, I wish I could still find a brand new copy of that albums, or at least of ...to Spread.

Yeah, it's a shame what Massacre has become but Morbid Angel is just as worse really, if not even more so. Have you listened to the new album? Damn if it doesn't suck... easily one of the worst of the year for me. But hey, returning to Morgoth, at least they managed to put their shit together, Ungod slays.

have probably linked this song before but I don't care.

about ten years ago I was absolutely ravenous for music and I devoured a bunch of prog and industrial and weird japanese stuff and post-punk and funk and basically all the interesting genres in one go

since then I've been more content with what I know and really bad at acquiring the taste for anything new so this is what I come back to most

the single best song I have ever heard

Random fact: Every time I look at the cover of Vader's The Empire I am reminded about this album, which is a good thing because it's fantastic.