Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mechadon

What are you listening to?

On 1/14/2018 at 5:21 PM, varth said:

Yeah with the crossover, along with The Accused I also like Dr.Know, a newer band I like in that vein are Birth A.D., and while I agree scenes never die they certainly regress. If there are more punks now than then the quality of newer bands is nil, I am sure there is something out there that is decent but the last modern punk band I liked was The Spits who are total hipster shit. I hate I grew such a negative attitude over time about punk but I have, I think people were more creative with punk back then and the personality/creative types that would have been attracted to the genre in previous generations are now drawn to other types of music.

Also feel its appropriate for GISM, who a lot of people have heard, but damn, necro-rotten-demented take on the Discharge formula, I think they integrated cock rock guitar solos and hair styles better than Discharge, and they end up sound way more fucking demented and fucked up. Such a masterpiece!

GISM sounded a bit like Venom. That's some nice, heavy stuff, but really surprising they are considered hardcore punk. And from Japan, no less. 

Ah, Dr. Know. They played in Seattle back in the day, my introduction to Nardcore, although it was years before I heard the term. Brandon Cruz had left the band at that point, and again, it would be years before anyone told me he'd ever been in it. It was such a trip to think that the dweeby little kid who played Eddie in "The Courtship of Eddie's Father" would turn into a surfer and a major punk rocker.

Dr. Know kicked ass the night I saw them, and I got to hear Their Most Obvious Classic Song live before I ever heard it on vinyl. We all know what that one is. ;)

"After today's cataclysm, men resort to cannibalism."

On the issue of creativity, while there's always room for something different -- punk dub-step? -- the really creative part of a scene happens before everything settles out. First Wave Punk included a lot of stuff that likely wouldn't be considered punk even by 1980. I mean, Television a punk band? Seriously? Punk really started to die in a creative sense when hardcore came along. It was like a tidal wave. I remember my friend Carlene talking about "Little-boy hardcore" because there was a squillion bands of high school kids playing at 180mph, basically trying to see who could write the most insane-velocity 30-second song. Maximum Rock 'n Roll promoted the hell out of that scene and it swept all before it.

Natch, I like hardcore, but none of the squillion bands was as good as Discharge, Bad Brains or Black Flag. But I guess that for me, the really good thing that happened was crossover thrash. I don't want to seem too punk-braggy, but the punk scene invented both hardcore and thrash, and it seemed like only seconds passed after that before we had thrashmetal, speedmetal and all that followed. For the last couple weeks I've been mainlining Agnostic Front and their Russian descendants, Moscow Death Brigade and Siberian Meat Grinder. All crossover thrash. When I watch live Siberian Meat Grinder on YouTube, I see all the stuff I remember from punk gigs back in the day -- stage-diving, moshing, people getting on stage and putting an arm around the vocalist as they sing along . . . perfect. And just like Agnostic Front, they do all the communal singing and power chants, but all that really started with British street-punk and Oi bands. So everything about it is punk except the more metally guitars, but even a lot of that sounds like old Discharge riffs. So for me, it's perfect, and when I talk about modern punks, I'm mainly talking about crossover fans. And there's a lot of 'em. ;)

One of Seattle's best unknown bands is this roaring metal-punk outfit. I only saw them once, playing in a basement-level art gallery, but I never forgot them. First song is the real highlight, second is a bit too long and the singer goes too far outside his range. Before these songs were released on vinyl they were on a demo tape with another song, a true lost classic called "L.R.S." This song had massive crunch, but for some reason was left off the single. I knew people who knew Loud, the guitarist who previously played drums for The Fartz, and I asked them to tell him to make sure "L.R.S." was on the record. They shoulda listened to me. I've tried contacting Loud from time to time in the years since, and put other people on the case, hoping to get the song, but no luck so far. Probably time to try again. ;)

Gotta love those related videos. ;) I really like the thump, chaos and borderline insanity in their sound.

On 1/15/2018 at 6:46 PM, Mayhem666 said:

Was about time don't you think? Haha, well, I mean if you aren't new to the band. It's probably one of their best song hehe.

Ya I'm relativity new to Iron Maiden, but better to have discovered this song now than never :P

I'm just finishing off listening to this for the first time.

a2652002832_5.jpg.30a2d9a273c51a2f65d62a2403917cd9.jpg

Afterwards I'll listen to this to brighten the mood a little ._.

This track gives me lots of good memories and stories, sadly I don't play this game that much as I used it.