Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mechadon

What are you listening to?

Story time: My mom's been asking me to put together a playlist of my music, cause I play a lot of indy music and stuff that's generally "nice music" (you know, not metal or grunge or what not). Now understand, my mom is 72, she grew up in the 50s and 60s. Well, shortly after the 'Hurt' cover came out by Johnny Cash I was playing the song a lot and my mom was present one time and at the time she really liked the song. So now I decide to add that song to the playlist (along with other songs like Wind beneath my wings by Whitney Houston and songs by Andre Boticelli/Celine Dion .. you get the idea). So we're listening to JC's Hurt and she remembered that (way back when) I had told her it was a cover, so now she asks me "who did you say the was a cover by? I'd like to hear the original." So I'm thinking, well this is interesting... my mom wants to hear a song by Trent Reznor. O_O

Well, she really liked the original, so much so that she was visibly moved by the song and asked me to add it to her playlist. And as the drawn out, discordant part at the end of the song comes to a close, she says with her eyes closed "the void... the void..." and then she says "Johnny Cash is just singing it as an old man, but this man [Trent]... he is singing it as an eternal question. The void... the void...." She then asked me to play another song by NIN, and since I'm not familiar with his discography, I put on his most popular song from the same album: "Closer", not realizing it which song it was. The look on her face when the line "I want to fuck you like an animal" played. At the end of the song she says "you don't have to add that song to my playlist. It's a good song, though." 

It's interesting how Johnny Cash made such a successful bridge between such divergent genres of music and showed that there is an underlying commonality between his brand of music and Trent Reznor's. Pretty cool.

Edited by Hellbent

image.png.a0470454eef2086dab04c1d5eb7a0173.png

This is from the Peaches en Regalia radio. This, and the Daryl Hall & John Oates radio has been on repeat for the past week. Especially while mapping. 

Edit: I got to this song, so I had to link it. Absolutely beautiful. 

Edited by BluePineapple72 : Small addition. Starship trooper

gone back to my early metalhead days

besides, fighting demons and screaming "HOLY WAAAR" goes great together.

Gonna go home tomorrow to where my mom currently is, in the middle of such an outbreak crisis and a personal feel of nervousness that's been lingering inside me for, I dunno, over a week? Felt like this song suits my current mood.

8 hours ago, kalaeth said:

gone back to my early metalhead days

besides, fighting demons and screaming "HOLY WAAAR" goes great together.

Don't forget the fire and steel!

6 hours ago, DesecratorJ said:

Don't forget the fire and steel!

<song>

with Courage we Carry On on this March for Revenge, and by The Sign of the Hammer, I'll Hail and Kill until they discover The Power Of My Sword!

11 hours ago, kalaeth said:

with Courage we Carry On on this March for Revenge, and by The Sign of the Hammer, I'll Hail and Kill until they discover The Power Of My Sword

They basically made lyrics based on their albums title on here :

Brothers, the battle is raging
Choose your side
Sing with us the Battle Hymns
Into Glory Ride
Hail To England
The Sign Of The Hammer's our guide
Forever we're Fighting The World
Side by side