Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mechadon

What are you listening to?

Recommended Posts

I can't get enough of Richard Dawson's album from this year, Peasant.

 

 

Ogre is an early standout, but is one of many excellent tracks. Very strange, medieval themed character sketches a la Chaucer's Canterbury Tales. Maybe that's a pretentious description, but the music is really fun. Some of the descriptions of life back then are quite lurid and disgusting. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Agent6 said:

Yes indeed with that song in particular. May very well be Satyricon's best song ever. Really wish their post-Nemesis Divina material was as memorable, uplifting and inspiring like their early stuff... but then such changes in direction are not something uncommon for me...

 

 

DFM is my favorite Immortal album and one of my favorites in the genre actually. Nothing beats the atmosphere on this album for me. Listening to any song from this album carries me into a dark forest in an ancient, dusty castle where a blood moon shines and bestial winds howl eternally. It's albums like this that remind me so often why (old school) black metal is my favorite genre and why the atmosphere and feelings invoked into the listener are such an important aspect of this dark art. You know, I'm so glad I found the genre all those years back, will always be grateful to Inquisition, Immortal, Judas Iscariot, Craft, early Enslaved, early Bathory, Celtic Frost, Limbonic Art, and many more forever.

 

"North black hordes storm
Through invincible cyclones of frost winds,
I lift my hands
And join the ceremonial circle of one wind.
Eyes of stone now sleep into eternal night,
This winter is forever.
A wind of red I rode,
A wind of evil cold."

Yeah, DFM is definitely a great album for me as well, but my favorite of Immortal is still Pure Holocaust, not because of its atmosphere but for its intensity and fuck-top riffs.

Oh damn, it's been a long time, you bring old stuff that I didn't listen for quite some time, remembers me how good it was to discover these back in time.

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, Mayhem666 said:

Yeah, DFM is definitely a great album for me as well, but my favorite of Immortal is still Pure Holocaust, not because of its atmosphere but for its intensity and fuck-top riffs.

Oh damn, it's been a long time, you bring old stuff that I didn't listen for quite some time, remembers me how good it was to discover these back in time.

*nostalgia intensifies* . Sometimes it's really good to remember these great moments though :) . Back then I was wondering why would people like this kind of music as well, but once you get a taste and take your time you start to see just so much more.

 

Ironically, while DFM is my favorite Immortal release, I only have Pure Holocaust on CD. The mastering (or whatever caused this) of this album is pretty odd though. By that I mean, in my player at least, at low volume the drums are very present, whereas high volume causes them to go really far into the background. I also wish I had found metal music shops in my country around the time I got into extreme metal... quantity wise it's pretty modest after all these years... but full of classics and great albums, so I'm not complaining.

 

Meanwhile, another blast from the past for me:

 

 

Heaven Shall Burn was actually my first Marduk album and also one of the bands responsible for getting me into bm. I'm still finding it an underrated gem, but despite this, it's not my favorite Marduk release, that's going to be Nightwing. Nightwing will also always have a special place in my heart due to the fact that the second half of the album deals with events and battles from the life of Vlad the Impaler and I'm romanian. Vlad is easily one of the most iconic personalities from out history.

 

One thing I don't like about Marduk however is Mortuus. Ever since Legion left, the Funeral Mist influences have always been too obvious for me, and that's something I'm really not that much into (another band would be Deathspell Omega although, oddly, I like other bands influenced by their style). I personally prefer the Joakim and Legion eras any time over present-day Marduk.

Share this post


Link to post

I don't listen to a whole lot of rap or hip-hop, whatever you want to call it, but Die Antwoord's Enter The Ninja is a beast of a song. Listening to it, I can see why it put them on the map. Ninja is one hell of a rapper.

Share this post


Link to post

i cant tell if that post is a good thing because it makes you want to listen to more rap, or bad because you think Ninja is a good rapper lol

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, rehelekretep said:

i cant tell if that post is a good thing because it makes you want to listen to more rap, or bad because you think Ninja is a good rapper lol

I do think he spits like a boss. Link me some stuff though, I would like to hear. Not being a dick, I'm genuinely interested.

 

I like Plies and DMX, hard rap with some balls.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Agent6 said:

*nostalgia intensifies* . Sometimes it's really good to remember these great moments though :) . Back then I was wondering why would people like this kind of music as well, but once you get a taste and take your time you start to see just so much more.

 

Ironically, while DFM is my favorite Immortal release, I only have Pure Holocaust on CD. The mastering (or whatever caused this) of this album is pretty odd though. By that I mean, in my player at least, at low volume the drums are very present, whereas high volume causes them to go really far into the background. I also wish I had found metal music shops in my country around the time I got into extreme metal... quantity wise it's pretty modest after all these years... but full of classics and great albums, so I'm not complaining.

 

Meanwhile, another blast from the past for me:

 

 

Heaven Shall Burn was actually my first Marduk album and also one of the bands responsible for getting me into bm. I'm still finding it an underrated gem, but despite this, it's not my favorite Marduk release, that's going to be Nightwing. Nightwing will also always have a special place in my heart due to the fact that the second half of the album deals with events and battles from the life of Vlad the Impaler and I'm romanian. Vlad is easily one of the most iconic personalities from out history.

 

One thing I don't like about Marduk however is Mortuus. Ever since Legion left, the Funeral Mist influences have always been too obvious for me, and that's something I'm really not that much into (another band would be Deathspell Omega although, oddly, I like other bands influenced by their style). I personally prefer the Joakim and Legion eras any time over present-day Marduk.

True, new Marduk suck at the highest degree ever lol. My favorite and most played record of Marduk is Opus Nocturne and obviously Those of the Unlight, Joakim period if you will. Didn't listened to Marduk since years ago, still sound fresh to me haha.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

@Mayhem666 My favorite Unleashed album is going to be Odalheim. Fimbulwinter is my favorite song they wrote up to this day, followed by "We Must Join with Him" .

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

*rawness intensified*

 

Meanwhile, some of my favorite bands tend to be those with very interesting concepts and ideas, be they very original or not. One such example is going to be Timeghoul. I really wish they'd still be around.

 

I've always hated seeing tons of amazing bands cease to exist, but at least they break up with style, in a sense, ending on a high note than the all-to-common ones which keep churning out shit music until no one cares anymore. Some bands that split up in the recent years but ended on a high note include Desultory, Hail of Bullets, and Bolt Thrower.

 

 

Spoiler

Here my bones bleach
Before the blazing light of purity,
Chained to the mountain top,
The waste of heaven falls upon me,
My wrists are a grisly red
From the bonds of justice,
Now I understand
Why men look to the ceaseless sky.

 

I toyed with the mortal gift of thought,
I pondered through the ruins of mystery,
I scoffed at the altar of solace,
In the ruins I dreamed nothing,
I raised my lance to the sky,
Cursing those dust covered statues.
Then a raindrop struck my brow,
And the oceans of the sky fell.

 

The mountains sank into the sea,
The crumbling earth had betrayed me,
Fleeing to nowhere sanctuary barred,
The rain wound begins to bleed.

 

Grim haunts of the heavens and hells
Emerged from the cracks in the sky and the rocks,
A mob of fiends encircled me,
Through undivine ascension I was taken to the gods.

 

I was made to kneel
Before the gods,
Their stares peeled flesh and bone,
Bludgeoning my soul.
For insolence in denial
I was to make penance,
And my legacy was to grasp my kind.

 

On the mountain top I was put,
An iron chain bore into the wound,
Linking my mind with the heavens above,
Forever thought was taken from us.

 

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

 

This record is definitely one of my favorite bm record overall. Great from A-Z. Like this one too.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

@Mayhem666 Ah yes Sargeist. Satanic Black Devotion is my favorite as well. I see a lot of people love Let the Devil In but the production on that album is a bit too clean to fit it perfectly. 

 

Oh, and I forgot when I posted Nachthymnen, I hope you're up to date with the news, a new Abigor album is on the way. Here's the preview :) : https://luzifer.bandcamp.com/track/songpreviews-of-h-llenzwang

 

And since Silenius took care of the vocal duties for a long time on many of their albums, there's also a new Summoning on the way (not as new as the upcoming Abigor but eh).

 

Meanwhile, Demonspeed has to be my favorite Craft song and one of my favorites in the genre. No one has ever made misanthropy and hatred as catchy as they did on Fuck the Universe:

 

 

And there's a new album on the way for quite some time now, but still no news...

Edited by Agent6

Share this post


Link to post

I've just discovered this excellent parody of Rammstein by some silly French band.

 

Spoiler

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×