Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Csonicgo

DMXOPL v1.11 - Because Doom Deserves Better (August 22, 2017)

Yeah, it's really the cymbals that I was referring to actually. They just sound like little bells or something. Also the toms are a little weird especially when there is a fast drum fill played, it sounds like an old electric organ drum machine. It's a cool sound, it just doesn't fit with most of the Doom music lol.

Just now, BobFromReboot said:

Yeah, it's really the cymbals that I was referring to actually. They just sound like little bells or something. Also the toms are a little weird especially when there is a fast drum fill played, it sounds like an old electric organ drum machine. It's a cool sound, it just doesn't fit with most of the Doom music lol.

It sounds good on legit hardware with some of the higher frequencies rolled off a bit, but since most listen with emulation, it's very bell like indeed. I may release v1.9 with two "editions" - one for real SB16 cards and one for emulators.

I'm more concerned with seeing SB16-like filtering becoming commonplace in OPL emulators. The idea of basing content around incomplete emulation makes me a little nauseous, if I'm being honest.

I decided to release v1.9 today, found a stupid DMX bug with double voices, and had to fix that, so we're at v1.9.1 now. Why do I never test this thoroughly before release?

Links updated and all that. Changes in this version:

• Slap Basses sound better, probably as best as they can be without ripping Voyetra's banks
  • Percussion overhaul, AGAIN, now Side Stick sounds correct, added Guiro, cleaned up cymbals a bit, VIbraSlap is louder
  • Piano improved, it now doesn't sound scratchy (Pulse Sine problems)
  • Solo String instruments are much better now.
  • Mixing issues fixed. Some still show up, I'll address them next BTSX release.

Hooray, v1.9.1 is now on idgames, so that's good!

For those holding back until a "final release", this is stable enough for use in projects without worrying about having to update it. However, If anyone has ideas for improvements, don't hesitate to let me know!

2 hours ago, Glaice said:

Any changes notable in 1.9.1 from 1.9?

Yes, the piano is mixed better. :P

1 hour ago, BobFromReboot said:

Does this somehow autoupdate if I'm using it in general with foobar2000?

Yes. :)

Whoa! Big update time! Thanks to @Jimmy and some other wonderful individuals, DMXOPL has changed enough to the point where I'm comfortable enough to announce another version bump - but have a Release Candidate in the meantime! I'm holding out until later to release this formally (big surprise coming!). Check it out on the first post attachment.

The final version, v1.11, is out today. Work begins on DMXOPL3 very soon, and will be for OPL3 only. If you require OPL2 for some reason, this version will work.

I've learned so much doing this project, and with help from the community, it has become something I never thought possible - An FM patch that can fool people into thinking it's a soundfont. It's also used in various midi plugins, even one for Android. It is now the default patch for Foobar2K's midi component in ADLMidi and Nuclear Option modes. I've heard streamers start to use this patch, which means I did something good, I guess. :-)

I say sincerely, thank you all so much!

I'll discuss more details on DMXOPL3 later. It will use DMXOPL as a base, but expect it to sound even better as time goes by. I'll make a separate thread for it.

See ya!