Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

The avant-garde music thread

Death Grips is quite possibly the most innovative hip hop group in the last decade. They combine a multitude of sub-genres such as electronic, industrial, and rock to form alienating but commendable albums such as the Money Store, Government Plates, and Bottomless Pit. No love deep Web despite having one of the most disturbing cover arts of any musical indie project is extremely original, having some of the bands most catchy and and skilled beats. 

How can you have an Avant-Garde thread without Yoko Ono?

Even George Harrison got in on the Avant-Garde act as well:

Here's some uplifting stuff for you. Somewhere in between the emotional spectre of dark ambient, industrial, black metal, I don't know. This band/guy has released some very different sounding albums, but they're all weird :)

Saw several mentions of Mr Bungle, but no-one has mentioned Secret Chiefs 3 yet? FYI, it's the "continuation" of Mr. Bungle, the brainchild of Trey Spruance, the guitarist from the aforementioned band. SC3 involves most members of MB (sans Mike Patton) and several members of Estradasphere. This album by secret chiefs stands somewhere in the middle of "Disco Volante" and "California" in style. Recommended!!

Edited by Uncle 80

Machine Gun by The Peter Brotzmann Octet

Violenza Domestica by Mr. Bungle. Already saw them in the thread, but it's worth dropping their name again.

Herbie Goes Ballistic by Venetian Snares. If I had to pick one favorite artist (which isn't a question I'm a fan of), VSnares would still be my choice.

She Alone Hole and Open by Nurse with Wound. NWW would probably be my candidate for weirdest artist I've ever heard.

Black Wedding by Sunn O)))

Refractions in the Plastic Pulse by Stereolab. Something lighter. :)