Phase 2, Maps 21-30 development thread

31 minutes ago, Voros said:

The vanilla lump limit is what Im worried about.

An important concern, for sure. However, if we're at a stage where every necessary sound and graphic and map-related lump (plus others, PLAYPAL and such) are accounted for then surely the vanilla lump limit is also FreeDoom's upper limit?

I am, however, against merely throwing things in willy-nilly. 15 textures ain't much, so if they'll add to the project as a whole then why not?

1 hour ago, Voros said:

The vanilla lump limit is what Im worried about.

Do you have a link to a description of that limit?

The lump limit is set around 4000 (4066 or 4096, not sure which one) lumps. Phase 2 has about 3000 and Phase 1 lower than that. So at best, about 900-1000 lumps available to use. That doesnt mean it should be filled up to the max.

1 minute ago, Voros said:

That doesnt mean it should be filled up to the max.

Nope, but it's an upper limit should it be needed. Condom logic; better to have and not need, than need and not have -- so I guess sparingly add new lumps from here on? Coming back to those 15 or so textures Blastfrog wants, it seems just a drop in the ocean.

3 minutes ago, Voros said:

The lump limit is set around 4000 (4066 or 4096, not sure which one) lumps. Phase 2 has about 3000 and Phase 1 lower than that. So at best, about 900-1000 lumps available to use. That doesnt mean it should be filled up to the max.

Thanks to both of you.

If I understand that correctly, there is still room for more textures, patches and flats and if we're running out, we could just remove some unused aquatex textures/patches/flats.

That doesn't sound like a huge problem or am I missing something?