Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

Non-id designs that strike you as unarguably "Doom"

Z259CAT.jpg

Big cavern entrances with eyes/teeth are really "Doom" to me. Along with

2l66lRe.jpg

Star-shaped Pentagrams!

What are your favorite "Doom" designs that aren't typically found in the id iwads?

Not sure if this counts but I like the urban setting and buildings found in "Doom 2 Reloaded." It puts the urban setting of the original Doom 2 to shame. 

GLL9K.png

Edited by DoomKnight1984

Soft gradient lighting. Not seen much outside of The Focus but it definitely hits the spot for me in non-IWAD maps.

Chainsaw as a general use weapon. I think its rarely found in Doom or Doom 2 outside of secret areas but I like it much better as a first weapon than a shotgun.

"Victorian" style architecture, with tan bricks, wood, cobblestones, and rusty metal supports. I dont think many maps outside of The Inmost Dens use this style but it complements the new Doom 2 textures so well.

Mountains, rivers, and other earthy natural terrain.

Abstract industrial temples with full-bright accents of color.

Like:

bc719168be.png

Resplendent Emerald Green, from JPCP

bc722b7ca8.png

The God Machine, from Sunlust

They're designs that are Doom because they couldn't be made with a more modern and realistic lighting model -- the stark contrast between darkened sectors and bright walls couldn't be imitated easily in your average Unity engine shooter -- and they wouldn't fit Heretic or Hexen thematically.

It's kinda a difficult question to answer. To me, the movement, the weapons, and the monsters make it Doom as much as the architecture does. Nice screenshots (all of them), by the way!

1 hour ago, Piper Maru said:

Maps from the early 90's!

True that. General purpose buildings, and ambiguous architecture that is unclear as to why it exists in the real world really complements the Doom motif. In many cases the more unclear something is, the better. So long as its not extreme, noisy, confusing, or otherwise jarring.

Doom-cute architecture, sectors being used to create realistic objects like chairs, tables, silverware, kitchen appliances and of course, crappers of all kinds. technically they exist a bit here and there in Evilution, but it wasn't used in the official Doom and Doom 2 IWADs, AFAIK. it feels like kind of a tradition wherein even advanced sourceport mods uses cute little chairs and toilets made out of sectors, rather than more believable sprite-work.

2 hours ago, 40oz said:

True that. General purpose buildings, and ambiguous architecture that is unclear as to why it exists in the real world really complements the Doom motif. In many cases the more unclear something is, the better. So long as its not extreme, noisy, confusing, or otherwise jarring.

I forgot to mention those screenshots I took are from The Apocalypse Project. I have a soft spot for maps from the 90's I guess you could say.

13 hours ago, Gez said:

They're designs that are Doom because they couldn't be made with a more modern and realistic lighting model -- the stark contrast between darkened sectors and bright walls couldn't be imitated easily in your average Unity engine shooter -- and they wouldn't fit Heretic or Hexen thematically.

I've been trying to think of what the equivalent sort of ultra-abstract setting for Heretic or Hexen would look like. The fantasy setting for those games arguably feels less versatile, but I tend to think that's just because it hasn't been explored and experimented with nearly as much as Doom's tech/hell combo.

Perhaps it's just because of nostalgia, but those maps that came with Skulltag and maps similar in style always struck me as the look for Doom maps that don't have a strong style of their own. It's not remotely vanilla Doom, but it always screams "modern Doom map" to me.

Which is funny, because a lot of those are pretty ancient at this point, but we're technically way past the "modern era" of history anyway.

9 hours ago, Not Jabba said:

I've been trying to think of what the equivalent sort of ultra-abstract setting for Heretic or Hexen would look like. The fantasy setting for those games arguably feels less versatile, but I tend to think that's just because it hasn't been explored and experimented with nearly as much as Doom's tech/hell combo.

You could totally pioneer that style if you want. I'll bet no one would say you're ruining Heretic.

A huge crowd of monsters of the same type, standing in a perfect grid formation, either all of them looking towards the player, or all of them looking away from the player.

3 hours ago, DoomKnight1984 said:

Another one, this time from Lost Civilization:

This looks almost Minecraft, oddly enough.

The use of this 'framing' method of detailing that you see in Sunder maps a lot.

6BEpxYB.jpg

Also the use of lighting sectors to give walls and flat surfaces more depth and vibrancy.

7YmbZWu.png

Examples such as this are very 'Doom' to me personally cause they are detailing tricks that feel specific to the Doom engine, if you know what i mean.

On 3/18/2017 at 2:12 AM, Viscra Maelstrom said:

rather than more believable sprite-work.

I think sprite work is just as dodgy as sector made things are, both look passable, but still cheesy for obvious reasons. But, they are fun to have, for what they are they add some believability to the map so I'm cool with whatever is used.

Chainsaw placed in rooms with bloody-textured walls and corpses. As if there was a massacre but all were dead, including the attacker.

Those muddy green bricks with liquids,skull/demon faces as decoration choice. Also,almost very Doom base should have startan variations and hexagon floors.