Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jaxxoon R

Sonic Forces: That other Sonic game

So back when Mania was announced they also put up a teaser for a 3D game done in-house by the Sonic Team. Wasn't until now that they've revealed actual gameplay for the thing. From this little bit it looks like more of the same speedyspeed hallways from Generations. That stuff was pretty entertaining but still, it'd have been nice if they made the parkour thing from the Wii U game actually fun and give a bit more focus on exploration and physics fuckery like the old blue runman games. I'm more interested in Mania, but if this isn't fall-through-the-ground city and isn't loaded with awkward unfunny cutscenes like the last few I might pick it up for PC.

Right off the bat it seems like they also made Sonic's hands less disgustingly huge, which is a plus.

I've never been a fan of the boost to win formula. I wish they'd stop putting so much focus on it and go back to old fashioned platforming kind of like how they did for Lost World, or even go back to their Adventure roots, because boost to win just isn't that interesting. I hope they do something more for this game but I won't hold my breath. At least Sonic Mania looks amazing.

The wisps may contribute to making the game abit more challenging if they're used right (kinda like Planet Wisp from Sonic Generations), Instead of just bouncing on enemies.

Also that running animation looks weird.

Sonic Mania is definitely the main course, but Generations was the first very good "main" Sonic game since Adventure 2 so following that formula is a good idea. I actually preferred the modern takes on the levels in Generations - it was a time trial game and a very fun one.

Too fast to comprehend what's going on other than button mash and press forward!

Interesting! The graphics look pretty good in that video, though the audio is distorted in places. The performance doesn't seem that bad either. This might actually turn out pretty good.

On Sonic Mania: can I just emphasize how awesome it is that Sega hired a passionate hobbyist Sonic port-developer and have him co-develop an actual commercial Sonic game? Somehow I can never see Nintendo do something like that. It's pretty great to see a company that actually puts a little trust in their fans.

I've never felt fully comfortable controlling Sonic in 3D. It's a series that worked best in 2D where the feeling of bouncing around in an animated pinball machine was more...doable? It's a fast, physics-driven game and in 3D, you're just dealing with too much. I'm stoked about Sonic Mania. Although it's a bad sad that the series is only relevant to me when it caters to "how things were," the sheer amount of love that is going into this project makes it quite appealing.

I have Toontown flashbacks.

Still, this is pretty clever. Instead of tossing the gameplay gimmicks on established characters that people already have expectations for how they'll play, and instead of creating a new character that'll no doubt get lambasted by the fanbase because they have a frenzied hatred of new characters, they just take advantage of the fact that cartoon characters are really good for allowing OCs and therefore really good for a "My Unit" scenario which might actually add more diversity to the fanbase instead of just tossing in green Sonic #206,214,532.

I can hear the development team now. What hasn't Sonic done yet? We put him in a God of War clone and turned him into a werewolf.

Well one thing we haven't done is grappling hooks and Batman. Why can't Sonachu be a masked vigilante?

"Fans": NOOOOOOO!!! Cyanic will not have grappling hooks! Stop messing with the 25 year old vision I have in my head by messing with a legendary franchise!

Wait put down your tomatoes or at least take them out of the cans before you throw them... you didn't let me finish! Character customization so Sanvik doesn't have to use the grappling hooks or wear glasses but we can have them anyway! * high fives that turn into $60 wads of cash all around *

Edited by geo

On Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 5:38 PM, dmg_64 said:

Please don't let them make Coldsteel the Hedgeheg.

Pssh, nothing personnel, kid

This is literally deviantart's wet dream lmao

11 minutes ago, R1ck said:

Pssh, nothing personnel, kid

This is literally deviantart's wet dream lmao

No, their wetdream is to have giant, fat, bloated versions of characters tickling each other's feet, featuring Pac-Man, Felix, Mickey Mouse, Mario and a crap ton of other copy-written characters + shitty OCs like yellow Sonic.

Am I the only one who hates

this?

Previous version:

I WILL SHOVE WHOEVER THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA'S NUTS UP THEIR ASS!

Edited by Sgt Jack V

Sounded like a Saynik game until the lyrics. Video game music needs no lyrics unless its a radio station. Maybe this song will be on a radio station.

22 hours ago, Sgt Jack V said:

Am I the only one who hates

this?

Previous version:

I WILL SHOVE WHOEVER THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA'S NUTS UP THEIR ASS!

I do too, I f*cking hate all lyric-based music in Sonic games. I don't want to hear some damned D-list singer in any game!

37 minutes ago, DoctorGenesis said:

I do too, I f*cking hate all lyric-based non-&Knuckles rap music in Sonic games the world.

ftfy

Eh. It's no City Escape, but you guys act like you haven't touched a radio that wasn't made out of dinosaur bones. I actually started to get excited when the female vocals kicked in because it started to sound like something out of Sonic R, although it fell pretty flat with how empty, short, and autotuned it was.

3 hours ago, Arctangent said:

Eh. It's no City Escape, but you guys act like you haven't touched a radio that wasn't made out of dinosaur bones. I actually started to get excited when the female vocals kicked in because it started to sound like something out of Sonic R, although it fell pretty flat with how empty, short, and autotuned it was.

No, I've listened to the radio (new stations recently) and it sucks (in my opinion, you do not have to agree) but at least we agree it is flat with how empty and autotuned this is.

Sonic is great, the first one was one of my top favs as a kid! And needless to say the followups are great. And the Dreamcast was a good time. Generations is good too.

Looking forward to this and Sonic Mania, hope we get a comeback for real this time.

28 minutes ago, PsychoGoatee said:

Sonic is great, the first one was one of my top favs as a kid! And needless to say the followups are great. And the Dreamcast was a good time. Generations is good too.

Looking forward to this and Sonic Mania, hope we get a comeback for real this time.

Finally someone optimistic about a video game on the internet.

The lyrics are a little bit cheesy, it can get a little bit cringy playing with others in the same room.

Man they're just putting everything and the kitchen sink into this game, aren't they? It's kind of a mess.