Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jaxxoon R

Sonic Forces: That other Sonic game

1 hour ago, Jaxxoon R said:

Man they're just putting everything and the kitchen sink into this game, aren't they? It's kind of a mess.

I don't see Doomguy and BFG.

33 minutes ago, Jaxxoon R said:

You know you would think that but

HhUBx2OO65CelkRtEiavSWv7C44iASDgm_8R3mI6

Now that calms the shakes.

Every new piece of info about this game ruins my visions of it more.

If you want the lyrics I thought up, here they are.

Blue streak, speeds by, Sonic the hedgehog.

Too fast for the naked eye, Sonic the hedgehog!

Blue streak, speeds by, Sonic the hedgehog.

Too fast for the naked eye, Sonic the hedge-Hog!

Sonic, he can really move! Sonic, he's got an attitude!

Sonic, HE'S THE FASTEST THING ALIVE!

"Instrumental"

Look out when he storms through don't doubt what he can do!

Nobody's faster than Sonic the hedgehog!

Look out when he storms through DON'T doubt what he can do!

Sonic the hedgehog he is the fastest thing

ALI-IVE!

7 hours ago, dmg_64 said:

Shadow, Mephiles and Coldsteel, now in 1 OC

This just gave me cancer... I don't think I wanna play Forces now.

5 hours ago, DoctorGenesis said:

This just gave me cancer... I don't think I wanna play Forces now.

I didn't realize this was the "laughter is the best medicine."

Everything about this game is a mess. Plot, level design, controls, it's all somehow worse than Generations. According to a Famitsu interview they made this game in a year and it really shows. Will not touch, I'd rather play Big the Cat fishing.

16 minutes ago, dmg_64 said:

4 years actually, and there's only like 3 level designers involved, 2 of which are rookies.

I think Morrowind had 1 dungeon designer. Oblivion had 3. Maybe it was Oblivion had 1 and Skyrim had 3? I have a feeling dungeon designer is different than world and town designer.

4 years though? Wow. Chances are the next game coming out will be 100% completely different. Maybe it will go back to a Mario Galaxy or maybe even a Mario Odyssey. Saynik suddenly has a hat! Oh wait his shoes he can throw his shoes!

1 minute ago, Jaxxoon R said:

Actual development didn't begin until around last year, everything before that was spent pissing about with the engine and basic concept before bringing in a bare-minimum team.

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201711/11145786.html

Seems to literally just be an ad.

I don't understand how Sonic Mania could come out a few months ago, and now we get a teaser trailer for quite possibly the cringiest Sonic game in history. It just looks...so bad.

5 hours ago, GoatLord said:

I don't understand how Sonic Mania could come out a few months ago, and now we get a teaser trailer for quite possibly the cringiest Sonic game in history. It just looks...so bad.

3D Sonic games doesn't have a particularly good track-record. pretty much every game pre-Colors have been varying degrees of awful, with poor design-decisions, rushed to completion, and littered with bugs. even after Colors and Generations, which were pretty decent games, they followed that up with Sonic Boom, and now Sonic Forces.

on the other hand, Sonic on a 2D plane has been fairly consistent, with the Sonic Advance and Sonic Rush series. Sonic Mania also had the benefit of being developed by people that loved and understood why that formula worked, rather than getting muddled up by Sonic Team or Sega Studios USA, who seemed more interested in hiring C-list musicians to make character themes for their characters over ironing out the gameplay flaws and bugs.

I can argue Sonic games weren't that good so much as it was the best platformer the system had to offer. What was the competition... Altered Beast? I'd rather play Kung Fu.

Mario had depth and variety while Sonic very well had everything unlocked at the start. Invincibility and super speed can be found in plenty of games. I do like the route of Sonic 3 having power ups that did various things and stuck around longer than a few seconds.

Sonic Advance 1 was fantastic, then Sonic Advance 2 and 3 took some risks and the risks it didn't take felt like more of the same. While more of the same of a fantastic game is always a good thing I had put so much time into Sonic Advance 1 that I was so burnt out by more of the same.

Edited by geo

16 minutes ago, geo said:

I can argue Sonic games weren't that good so much as it was the best platformer the system had to offer. What was the competition... Altered Beast? I'd rather play Kung Fu.

Shinobi 3, Rocket Knight Adventures, X-Men 2, and Castlevania: Bloodlines are all superior to any Genesis Sonic title. 

Well, geo buddy, seems your opinion on games are about as coherent as your writing style. Show me a world where Donut Plains 3,488 has more depth and variety than an act of Lava Reef, I'm sure it's a swell Monty Python sketch!

Edited by Jaxxoon R

15 hours ago, geo said:

I think Morrowind had 1 dungeon designer. Oblivion had 3. Maybe it was Oblivion had 1 and Skyrim had 3? I have a feeling dungeon designer is different than world and town designer.

This is a pretty terrible comparison, considering TES dungeons since Morrowind have been created via snap-together prefabs, the exact same way as SnapMap except there's no auto-placement forcing to stick pieces in coherent ways or together at all.

Which makes it a bit more annoying to use than SnapMap in that regard, though the whole drag-and-drop interface the Construction Kits have more than makes up for it in general.

12 hours ago, GoatLord said:

It's actually extremely easy to understand - Sonic Mania is an ascended fangame with the same guy who made all the modern ports of the classic Sonic games on the team, while Sonic Forces is as official as you can get.

I mean, Sonic Team has shown that they can do pretty damn good jobs, but they've also shown that they're spotty as all hell. At least this game has a lot of narmy fun thanks to being basically an official fan fic, and its gameplay is not good moreso than bad. Does seem worth grabbing unless Dreamcast Sonic and onwards makes your skin explode, just ... not while it's $40 or you have something better in mind.

The current Sonic games PC ports are very limited in options, they haven't changed all that much since the PC port of Sonic 1 2 3 and Knuckles in the 90's, and the PC Mega Collection in the mid 2000's.

Part of the issue for me is that it takes me out of the experience to see those corny ass cutscenes. I think Sonic worked better when all the storytelling happened during sprite-based animation. Watching these characters interact and talk, it just doesn't work for me.

Sonic's been a talky-loo since the animated series and the comics though, both of which are extremely popular. it only makes sense that he would talk in a game eventually. of course, that's not saying all of the talking is particularly... good.

Not to mention that classic Sonic, even in these modern Sonic games, has that early rubberhose quality where he's completely mute and communicates strictly through gestures ... even though classic Tails could speak back in Generations.

I do feel like current modern Sonic is a bit too clowny since Lost World, though, especially since the entire point of him is to be a cool cartoon guy, especially especially if classic Sonic's going to keep popping up and bringing the Mickey Mousing. Something closer to Unleashed and Colors would work a lot better I think, or for a more extreme thing going back to Sonic Adventure 2 or towards the Sonic Boom cartoon would also work well.

EDIT: Actually thinking about Sonic Adventure 2 to now, when I replayed that I was taken aback by just how un-Shadow Shadow was. He defintely had edge to him, but he was also like ... I mean, one of his lines is literally "I'm the coolest!" and it makes me giggle like a maniac whenever I heard it. Going back to that would feel wrong, but going back in that direction feels like it'd make him a lot more likable by making him channel his pessimism and trauma into less brooding 24 / 7 and more wit, sarcasm, and irreverent showboating - the first scene in the Dark Story where he holds a genie-in-a-bottle act towards Eggman for all of the duration of beating up a mecha, before manipulating him towards the ARK by dropping hints is a really great example.

Edited by Arctangent