Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dime

Did you cheat through Doom as a kid?

My memory is a bit fuzzy at this point remembering what I did in my doom playthrough's 20 years ago but I recall the layouts of many maps and the fact I was a big fucking cheater. Map too hard? IDDQD. Map too confusing? fuck it IDCLEV. Coming back to doom in around 2011 it become apparent to me that I didn't even know some of the maps in doom 2. I never played them before because I skipped straight over them with cheats......

Did you make it all the way through doom as a kid or were you as much of a filthy cheater as I?

Yep, I ran the gamut of cheats available, down to giving myself berserk or radsuit to cheat just a little or idclip to skip a locked door that kept torturing me for too long.

Actually, me and my cousin cheated so hard that we played Wolf3D together on one keyboard and one guy would move while the other would shoot and spam ILM.

I played at ITYTD at first because I was hesitant to play NM, then slowly escapaded onto UV and then beat the series, then I heard about the John Romero head inside the IOS, so I cheated to see it, first time cheating back then.

The only thing I ever cheated on when I was a little kid was my wife.  You can't expect a seven year old to be loyal.

Me, my bro, and my dad played all the way thru Doom 2 on I'm Too Young To Die with no sound. We did not discover cheat codes until we got to the Icon of Sin when my dad's friend told him about IDDQD and IDKFA. This was when I was about 5 years old lul.

Nope. I did, however, play it on ITYTD difficulty the first time.

FPS games were still relatively new to me back then (I believe the only FPS game I played before Doom was Jurassic Park for the SNES), so I was still trying to get a grip onto things.

Given that I started on PlayStation DOOM (and I was already mid-teens, so not really a kid per se) and the cheats were a pain in the taint to even remember, nope.

Few years later, when I started mapping for the PC version, I was really grateful for them though. I definitely appreciate cheat modes more as a modder and game developer than I ever did as a gamer.

All the time. I think I was mostly interested in exploring its weird dreamlike worlds, and I was impatient to see more of them. It wasn't until I got slightly older and learned how strafing worked that I started to be able to really play the game properly, haha.

I used to cheat mostly to find some of the secrets that I couldn't seem to figure out, for example e1m1 where there's that tripwire secret that lowers a lift which I didn't understand at first. And of course getting myself an automap was a regular thing for me until I had things memorized.

I also used a lot of IDCLIP to see things from a lot closer, or get to areas from which I had a different view over the level. I IDDQDed some stuff too, because it gave me trouble on UV when I was too young to die. ;-)

Hell yeah. IDDQD and IDKFA every time. For a long time I thought that the green sphere is a pointless, even bad pickup, since it seemed like it just makes everything ugly.

Most (if not all) players have cheated at least once in doom 2's IOS. While the romero head is a neat easter egg, it's still cheating to go IDCLIP lol. 

Anyhow, yeah. I've cheated. Quite alot tbh...

I wasn't allowed to play Doom as a kid. Actually, I'm still not allowed to play Doom. :-P

But no, I pretty much never use cheats unless I have a specific purpose for doing so. For instance, if I want to practice 2-shotting cybies with the BFG, I might give myself a BFG and infinite ammo in e2m8. I might just keep spawning cybies, too.

EDIT: I did cheat at times in Resurgence, because I sometimes died too quickly to find cover. I also cheated through the big Okuplok slaughter map (hope I spelled that right...), but I think most would admit that there's no shame in that.

Yeah, I cheated the hell out of Doom as a kid. I was more interested in exploring the levels and studying the monsters than I was fighting and dying. I used to wake them all up, the hide in the walls using IDCLIP and just watch them mill about, occasionally popping out to stir them up a bit.

I was in my 20s by the time I came back to Doom and played it properly.

I was definitely a cheater. Shareware Doom was damn scary for a 6-ish-year-old me so it was at least IDDQD most of the time. I think I finished the episode on UV without cheats at least once back then though but it's been 20 years so I'm not sure if I remember correctly...

28 minutes ago, dew said:

Actually, me and my cousin cheated so hard that we played Wolf3D together on one keyboard and one guy would move while the other would shoot 

This is something me and my brother also did sometimes (with Doom though). Two kids and only one computer in the family so this way both were happy heh.

Doom was very much a sandbox to me as a kid, so I spent more time messing around with cheat codes than actually playing the game normally. 

I remember thinking as a kid that if I could somehow survive the forced death ending of E1M8 that the game would continue and I'd find new and exciting areas to explore beyond that dark room you get teleported into. I also thought that there was some unimaginable evil inside that dark room that could only be defeated if I could light up the room and see what I was actually faced with. Lo and behold, IDDQD didn't help, and IDBEHOLDL just led to disappointment. But hey, I learned a thing or two about the inner workings of the game in the process, so that's cool!

1 hour ago, esselfortium said:

All the time. I think I was mostly interested in exploring its weird dreamlike worlds, and I was impatient to see more of them. It wasn't until I got slightly older and learned how strafing worked that I started to be able to really play the game properly, haha.

This is almost exactly how I played it too. I loved getting lost and exploring and just being captivated by areas that seemed inaccessible or out of the way. I didn't know about IDDQD then though, so I was still scared of the really hard levels.

The first time I played through Doom 2, it was with a friend at his house on ITYTD.  We used IDFA and IDDT, but tried to avoid IDDQD and IDKFA as much as possible.  The only time I ever used IDCLIP or IDSPISPOPD was when I had my own computer and was starting to build my own levels.  Ahh the days of DEU...

As a kid, my family actually had a "no cheat codes in videogames" rule (seriously), so no IDDQD for me.

Yeah, I used to as well, mostly because I was terrified of the Doomguy death scream. That aside, it was fun though to just marvel at all the little things in the game without having to worry about dying, especially with my friend at the time who reintroduced me to Doom 2. Once I finally got over my fear of the Doomguy scream, I was able to make more serious attempts at playing the game.

Of course!, iddqd was a must, idfa almost always and idkfa when i wanted to skip parts of the map, but then i started to play without cheats, and now i rarely cheat when i play.

I was pretty strict about my no-cheating principles, growing up. I was playing mostly pirated games at the time, so its not like I'm moralising, but I could get pretty crass with friends who were using cheat codes, or cheat-cartridges like Game Killer (C64). I'd obsess over games until I could finish them, so when Doom came along it wasn't any exception to the rule. I started using cheat codes while designing levels obvioulsy, its a neccessity for testing your maps, but never while playing. To this day, I generally don't cheat. I'll play a map until I either beat it, or it beats me. Then drop it. Lately, just the last couple of years, I've taken to have a look ahead after I've given up and a map has beaten me, just to have a peek at what was ahead, but its not like I'm absorbed by the gameworld anymore while doing this. Sunlust is an example - I know I'll never be able to beat the thing so the only way I can have a proper look at it is either playthrough videos or cheating. It becomes more of a dissection at this point, void of immersion.

As a kid I often cheated, but I thought Doom2 got rid of the 'no clipping' mode for ages due to the different input. By the time I started playing online though I pretty much reserved it for testing and such.

Edit: Also, what Soundblock said about it being more like dissection than immersion, that applies very well to my rare use of cheats these days. It's to see what the designer had in mind now, as a kid it was to explore a strange new world.

2 minutes ago, Cynical said:

As a kid, my family actually had a "no cheat codes in videogames" rule (seriously), so no IDDQD for me.

This quickly became policy in our household after I started abusing those dead yellow eyes; I was terrified of those pinkies in the E1M4 maze! Too impressionable, yet captivated by the strange environments... and that damn growling noise. The game was taken away from me eventually because I would always fail to punch out of 'degreelessness mode' when I heard those fatherly footsteps thudding down the corridor. Perhaps I was frozen in terror, much as my marine was when that clump of angry flesh rounded the corner. Perhaps I opted out of the experiment of my own volition and am now choosing to remember it differently to protect myself.

What I'm trying to say is sorry, dad. I know you're not the demons - I see that now.

1 hour ago, Pavera said:

This is almost exactly how I played it too. I loved getting lost and exploring and just being captivated by areas that seemed inaccessible or out of the way. I didn't know about IDDQD then though, so I was still scared of the really hard levels.

I did this quite a lot as a kid too. I always had to jump into the outside areas of maps, even if there was really nothing there. I did this in tons of games, especially ones with more "realistic" environments.

I also did cheat a ton as a kid in other ways, but I've pretty much entirely broken the habit. I haven't done zdoom's resurrect in ages, heh