Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dime

Did you cheat through Doom as a kid?

I cheated through all of doom 2. It was just too scary. One day I did do map 1 without cheats and map 7 without god mode and I was damn proud of that. I think I was 10 or 11. Some years after I played through the other dooms with cheats. TNT Evilution's last map killed me even with god mode on. I was so damn scared after that.

Last year I played through everything: Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom, Doom The Way Id Did It, Doom 2 The Way Id Did It, The Classic Episodes, Scythe, Plutonia 2, Romero's new maps and of course Brutal Doom with Hell on Earth Starter Pack.

Never knew how fun the gameplay was till that point.

I only used cheats to fool around killing stuff randomly, when GTA didn't exist yet. 

At my "serious" playthrough, I would save scum instead. Still savescumming twenty and so years later.

Absolutely not. My older brother insisted that I play Doom, in his words, "legitimately." We'd sometimes dink around in WadAuthor too, and he'd be insistent on making challenging, ammo-tight maps with me. He enjoyed calculating monster hitpoints against ammo distribution and calculated margin of error. I guess I still sorta map that way. That might even be why I'm not really keen on slaughter maps. 

When I was a kid I played all Doom using only the automap and the double IDDT cheat code. It was me a triangle shooting other triangles.

Yes.  I discovered Doom while I was still learning how to not suck at video games as a kid, and so I used cheats a considerable amount, and weaned myself off of them for a challenge.

The funny thing was that because I got Doom before the internet, the only cheat codes I had were copied from a friend - I think the same friend I got the game from.  And he only had three of them...God mode, All Keys + Weapons, and the "smashing pumpkins" variant of Noclip.  I suppose that's all you needed, though.

I cheated my way through doom Hardcore. IDDQD and IDKFA were my friends.

In fact I cheated through most of my child hood games. Starting from all the Amiga games with pre-hacks up to 3D games like Soldier of Fortune. I remember collecting PC Powerplay magazines just to collect the cheats. In a way I felt cheats allowed me to enjoy the games more. As a result, I learned critical concepts of strategy and technique quite late for someone who has always been a heavy gamer.

These days I can't enjoy a game while cheating unless I have beaten it and want to modify my next experience.

Didn't cheat. Actually was the kid who gets annoyed as heck when my brother cheated even on first difficulty because he couldn't even click more than one button at a time. Only game I remember cheating in is GTA but I had no idea that game was supposed to be anything but a cheating do whatever you want to do game haha.

IDDQD all the time when I was kid and first time play DooM......on Plutonia Experiment...then I can barely complete DooM ep1 on UV with keyboard only play...just take a lot of practices and save/load... but I still do some map cheats. :p

Fun fact, I had gotten Doom II before Ultimate Doom first as my full version experience of Doom after the shareware, so the discovery of new weapons like the plasma rifle and BFG9000 in addition to D2's super shotgun was from the get-go in MAP01 when I IDKFA'd and fired the BFG first against the poor Zombieman. I'd discover Doom 1's Cacodemon later on in MAP05 and remember being so mesmerized by it's sound and behavior. Ah, being 11 years old!

Also discovered the John Romero easter egg in MAP30 very quickly since I abused noclip and the level warp cheats like mad.

I cheated in every single pc game when i was little: Doom( just the first one) Duke Nukem 3D, Quake 1, Jedi Knight, Outlaws, every single.

I don't quite remember what difficulty i used to play on, probably HMP, after all, i didn't even know those were skill choices at the time.

Always... IDDQD, IDKFA, IDSPISPOPD (IDCLIP), IDDT. 

PS, I often use IDDT (sometimes IDCLIP) even nowadays, but not IDDQD ans IDKFA.

I cheated all the time. I was playing Doom when I was around 5-6 years old so I was terrible at gaming in general. For me, it was fun to turn on "God mode" and have all the weapons and just run through the maps. 

I probably never legitimately played through Doom and Doom 2 until some time in the early- or mid-2000s. I had more fun just trying out various WADs and what not.

On 3/21/2017 at 10:33 AM, cyan0s1s said:

Fun fact, I had gotten Doom II before Ultimate Doom first as my full version experience of Doom after the shareware, so the discovery of new weapons like the plasma rifle and BFG9000 in addition to D2's super shotgun was from the get-go in MAP01 when I IDKFA'd and fired the BFG first against the poor Zombieman. I'd discover Doom 1's Cacodemon later on in MAP05 and remember being so mesmerized by it's sound and behavior. Ah, being 11 years old!

Also discovered the John Romero easter egg in MAP30 very quickly since I abused noclip and the level warp cheats like mad.

I was the same... I never played (Ultimate) Doom until I bought the Doom Collector's Edition in the early 2000s, but I got Doom 2 for Christmas. I remember all the crazy rumors about "the cell gun" in the Doom shareware, and how if you did this and that, it would somehow appear in Military Base or Phobos Anomaly. So when I finally got to use it in Doom 2, that was fun. (Granted, "the cell gun" I always hear rumors about was specifically the BFG, I didn't even know there was a plasma gun at all).