Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nine Inch Heels

Your favourite animal, and why.

This is where you can post pictures of your favourite animal(s), along with the reason why you like it as much as you do. The reason can be anything, same goes for the animal in question. A dog you grew up with. A cat that shares its abode with you. Anything goes.

I like moths a lot. I know some people find them gross, and they have their reasons. I find them fascinating, because some can grow to considerable size, while still being able to fly for extended periods of time, others are just downright cute to the point of making me go "aaaaaww". In my case it's really how much "variance" there is to moths as a species. Here are some examples:

The (cute) venezuelan poodle moth (yes, that's really its name).
article-2191817-14A469F9000005DC-270_964
snowy_moth_by_machinegun_willy-d53vq8h.j

The cecropia moth, with a wingspan of up to 6 inches. We're talking 6 beautiful inches here:
Cecropia-Moth-Creative-Commons.jpg

And here's the luna moth in all its glory. Note the transparent wings:
sfw_moth_aud0514_m12.jpg?itok=XEAtakfx

Edited by Nine Inch Heels

The elephant.

an-elephant-running-in-the-masai-mara-ke

Because size DOES matter.

Fluffy cats. I get stupider than usual around them. So fluff.

1 hour ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

And here's the luna moth in all its glory. Note the transparent wings:

I came across one of these as a kid, when I was on a camping trip with my family. It was stuck on the outside of a public restroom door. Hovering near the light. I ran back to my campsite and got my parents, who came with a camera and took a bunch of pictures. The thing was huge, at least the size of my hand at the time. Really bright neon green as well. Looked amazing.

We returned back to our camper for dinner. An hour later I went back to the public restroom, only to find pieces of the moth all over the ground. It was completely ripped apart. I have no idea what happened, but it made me so upset. Perhaps a bird got it, or some stupid kids went and killed it. Who knows, but it was a cool thing to see while it lasted.

Dang, this is a tough one... the common raven is definitely one of my favorite animals, or any corvid for that matter.  They're just so dang smart and playful.  Plus they have some deeper meanings for me.

There's a family (or a few families, I think) that live right next to us, and I can see them pretty much every day, especially in the summer months.

Corvus_corax_canariensis.jpg?itok=C-MBAg

Then there's snow leopards, which are freakin' GORGEOUS.  It's really to bad they're endangered.  Plus, my fursona is one, so there's that.

funny-snow-leopard-love.jpg

There's other animals I adore, like skunks (so cute!!!!) and penguins, but I think the two above are my absolute favorites.

Okay so this isn't my favorite animal, but I wanted to share a picture of my favorite moth with the OP. I was deployed to the United Arab Emirates near the end of November 2011. Being from Michigan I became quite homesick due to the complete lack of anything green in the desert. One day while were were moving aircraft equipment around I saw what looked like a weird green decal sitting under a big mobile generator. I picked it up & it turned out to be one of the most beautiful moths I had ever seen. The moth, know as an Oleander Hawk Moth, looked totally fake in the desert environment, but there he was walking around on my hand trying to stay out of a strong wind. After just letting it walk around my arm for a bit I took the moth to a nice shady spot out of wind so he could be safe. That moth really made my day & it's one of my fondest memories from that Deployment.

Couldn't find a good picture of how out of place these guys look it desert, but this is an Oleander Hawk Moth.

Oleander_Hawk-moth_Daphnis_nerii.jpg

For what it's worth, the picture of the Luna Moth is now framed, and resides in my bathroom. Heh, how fitting: http://i.imgur.com/he5fKBA.jpg

Probably should have wiped the dust and hair(?) off the glass before snapping this. Whoops. Taken from an iPhone in mediocre lighting, because my bathroom is like a deep cavernous stone dungeon lit with distant torches. Even still, the moth looks pretty green. Photo titled horizontally to fit the frame, but was originally taken vertical.

Moths are making me less than happy, because I have to watch them stick on the outside lights or surrounding cobwebs around our country house. They often get inside too, and it's pretty hard to get them out without any harm.

34 minutes ago, Jaws In Space said:

Oleander_Hawk-moth_Daphnis_nerii.jpg

Very cool pic! I've been looking at it for the past 10 minutes or so and can't help but see a goats face in this..? Hmmm... I dunno. Maybe I need to go to sleep

1 minute ago, MrDeAD1313 said:

Very cool pic! I've been looking at it for the past 10 minutes or so and can't help but see a goats face in this..? Hmmm... I dunno. Maybe I need to go to sleep

....... You know what...? I see that as well, now that you mention it. The spots where the wings connect to the "torso" definitely look like goat-eyes.

3 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

....... You know what...? I see that as well, now that you mention it. The spots where the wings connect to the "torso" definitely look like goat-eyes.

I think that's the point though. So the large spots on the wings look like eyes to scare away predators. But yeah wow, it's really effective on this particular moth. The baphomet head comparison is... oddly discernible from this angle.

Man this is so hard. I'v many animals I adore for various reasons. Obviously cats and dogs are great, I do extremely well with both. I'm not entirely sure why, I just feel they're very easy to read. It's like I've got animal magnetism perk from fallout. 

As for non-domestic animals I'm very fond all Sea mammals. From Sea lions to whales and dolphins. Both Whales and dolphins are amazingly intelligent. It is said that dolphins and whales are more emotionally intelligent than us. I've done an assload of reading on the subject, and honestly, if they had legs and arms like us I believe it would be a similer scenario that of different races in our fantasy subjects. It amazes me to think of another species that may be as self aware as us and to a differentiating correlation more so.

Bunnies are my #1 and I'm highly tempted to get a rabbit someday but I also love dogs (not small dogs) and bears even though they're murder machines they're like really big dogs still and that makes them adorable.

My favorite animal is our 6-year-old Miniature Schnauzer. He's simply the cutest thing.

I thought this thread was totally dominated by cats and dogs. And I was wrong. I mean, seriously, who doesn't like cats and dogs? xD

Other than cats and dogs, a chipmunk can have my vote.

resize_chipmunk.jpg.727912c118f6828c16f20e58fc87fc2a.jpg

9 hours ago, YukiRaven said:

Dang, this is a tough one... the common raven is definitely one of my favorite animals, or any corvid for that matter.  They're just so dang smart and playful.  Plus they have some deeper meanings for me.

I love crows. When you look into their eyes, you can tell they are smart and aware. When I see them, I try to make noises to see if they will react in any way. No luck.

I always find this question so tricky.  I like so many animals.

I guess I have to go with sea lions because judging from multiple zoo experiences at different zoos where they always pick me out from a crowd:

They like me back.

My vote goes to sloths, because they manage to to make me laugh no matter how down I am.

Furthermore they're named after one of the deadly sins, have huge claws and are basically metal as fuck.

600_338881052.jpeg