Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nine Inch Heels

Your favourite animal, and why.

The spiny anteater! AKA "long-beaked Echidna." One of the weirdest animals of all time. They have the large body of a porcupine with the snout of an ant-eater. They also lay eggs and have four-headed penises.

Yeah.

myrepindsvin.jpg

Lepisma_saccharina.jpg

Silverfish. Gross, right? Well yes. They're also not an animal. But hear me out. They evolved somewhere around 400 million years ago (the Jurassic period was only 150-200 million years ago) from the very earliest insects and have been creeping around in the cracks of the evolutionary world ever since. Today, they tend to stick to cities where they dwell in damp basements, bathrooms, and the like. Unlike other pests, like roaches, they tend to keep to themselves and may not present a nuisance other than to nibble on the odd book binding -- they love carbohydrates.

Other facts:

Silverfish can live up to eight years.

Silverfish reproduce sexually (sort of) at the end of a complex three-part ritual lasting up to thirty minutes.

Silverfish can outrun pretty much all spiders and other predators but are shit at climbing walls so the key is to box them in.

Silverfish can live up to a year without eating.

After the apocalypse, and the second apocalypse, there will still be silverfish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lepisma_saccharina

33 minutes ago, nxGangGirl said:

Too bad Spiders don't count as animals

Nobody cares, I think.

I'm also not sure if that spider is curious, surprised, or confused....

1 hour ago, nxGangGirl said:

Too bad Spiders don't count as animals

Well, they're not plants.

24 minutes ago, MetroidJunkie said:

For some reason, scorpions intrigue me.

scorpion5.jpg

You should join the Brotherhood of Nod.

54 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I'm also not sure if that spider is curious, surprised, or confused....

Could be a gay "Heeeeyyy"

One time a silverfish pooped into my hand. I could see the poops moving through its transparent body.. and then the little things were on my hand. I like spiders too. One spider lived in my bathroom for a couple of weeks, then got out of the bathroom for a little trip... and then died at the bathroom door threshold when coming back... awwg.

Mine is the humble dog! Here is a picture of my baby:

FPXd9ba.jpg

On 3/18/2017 at 2:12 AM, HavoX said:

The elephant.

6KUuaio.png

Should I ask what the original image was?

I've always liked goats because of how curious and playful they can be, I also like ravens, snakes, and camel spiders.

Deer, mostly because of gracefulness of their movement, the way they prance around, each move swift and nice. To me they look nice and are interesting, I also like them because of the deer's pacifist nature

sarna_capreolus_capreolus_0394.jpg

deer.jpg

5 hours ago, Trupiak said:

Deer, mostly because of gracefulness of their movement, the way they prance around, each move swift and nice.

Makes them great target practice!

6 hours ago, Trupiak said:

Deer

We just bought a house in the sticks and I'm freaking out on all the deer around here. I had five of them standing right next to the house the other day. I suppose I'll get used to it but for now I get all excited and run to find the camera every time I see one.

There's two in this picture:

P1010116.jpg

The polar bear is my favorite but I haven't seen any around here, though.

Oh yeah, polar bears, I'd forgotten about them.

mIOPMG5.jpg

1dyZpoa.jpg

Ll3dFfS.jpg

You may or may not want to view the third one at full size. "They're happy because they eat whale!" All pictures taken in Hinlopenstretet (maybe Lomfjorden), 18th June 2010.

The discoloration is from the whale carcass, that had been very slowing rotting for about a year.

1 hour ago, savagegrant said:

OMG. Another cute bat pic! This time it's Honduran white bats.

AAAaaaaaaaawww... They're super cute. <3 Really makes me want to have them as pets, but I don't like the idea of "locking" them away, or something like that.

I'm iffy about the idea of locking any kind of animal away for some reason. Even though I'm sure that any dog or cat I care about would live a better life in the house than on the street or in the wild, the whole idea still makes me mildly uncomfortable. It's like their only purpose there is to amuse us.

Edited by Guest

I like almost all animals, except for humans. I'm kind of a misanthrope in the sense that I think objectively speaking, humans are one of the most repulsive creatures on this planet (both in behaviour and appearance).

When it comes to 'domestic' animals, I definately prefer dogs. Dogs being social animals, they can learn things pretty easily, whereas with a cat you need to be very strict (which almost nobody ever is).