Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doominator2

RIP Chuck Berry

It's a shame that he's gone, and I really liked his music. I also remember hearing his song "Johnny B. Goode" in the 1985 movie Back to the Future. He will indeed be missed, and my condolences go to his friends and family.

90 years is quite a great run for such a legend of music. The amount of artists and music styles that have been directly/indirectly influenced by his music is enormous. From The Beatles and The Stones to Bob Dylan and folk-rock, to Punk Rock, to even Metal and Grunge: Just about every electric guitar-based genre of music owes some debt of gratitude to Chuck. Rock and Roll was all about the integration of the previously racially divided styles of music, such as  Country/Western vs Rhythm & Blues and Jump Blues. Chuck not only managed to bridge those genres in perfect harmony ("Maybelline" is a reworking of an old Country/Western song called "Ida Red"), but also managed, to practically invent the whole diverse Rock and Roll genre entirely!

Man, Chuck Berry was so hot as a performer. To me, no one has ever eclipsed his crackling, quicksilver approach to rock n roll on songs like Carol. He makes Keith Richards look sloppy.

RIP

I'm not overtly familiar with him either, but I know the name and the accomplishments attached too it. 90 seems like a pretty good, long life. RIP Chuck berry. 

On 3/19/2017 at 10:24 PM, NightmareZer0 said:

I have no idea who this is.  There I said it. 

Ok, no big deal, you said it. But, do yourself a favor, and check him out - do some research. Start with perfectpitchrob's post above. Chuck Berry rocked...when there was no such thing :)

On 20.03.2017 at 4:24 AM, NightmareZer0 said:

I have no idea who this is.  There I said it. 

What a fucking badass, do you want applouds with that?

I remember getting Johnny B. Goode stuck in my head for a week after I first heard of Chuck Berry.

Rest in peace.

The man and his band went through a lot of struggles. They were african-american at a time when the music industry executives were exclusively white males, not many female voices allowed either. There was a lot of discrimination in terms of how they were paid for concert appearances, payments for regular gigs at bars and establishments, on their record deals, they got royally screwed out of the majority of their profits. It was a blatant display of racial discrimination in the private sector music industry. What hurts even more, is that Chuck Berry was probably the first rock and roller to ever understand what that "sound" of rock was going to be, and put it into lyrics and guitar arrangements. He was a great man, and an honest fellow I recall watching a documentary about his career around 5 years ago perhaps. It was on the Palladium television channel. A lot of music history is kept alive with that TV channel, too.