Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Valerio

New groans

Only looked at two of the boss sounds, and can't say whether they are better or worse than the current sounds, as of yet. They might be better though. Can't say for sure until I hear them in game myself.

But sheesh, the filesize is enormous. You should work with sounds that are 8 bit with mono channels and at 11025 hz.

Thank you very much for the information, I'll remake them as you said.

Have a nice day !

I'm sorry, but I don't like these sounds. A lot of it is just using basic effects, and far too strongly. The sounds you used as a basis (existing Freedoom sounds that already suck and should be tossed out, and your own recordings, it seems) are not very good, either.

The monster sounds of mine that are in Freedoom were me recording myself, slowing it down to half speed, and carefully crossfading between the best parts of various takes. In some cases, I had to overlay two sounds, such as the pinky active sound, it was a mixture of me making a gutteral sound and a groan.

Keep at it, practice, and study other sounds.

On 3/19/2017 at 7:22 AM, Voros said:

You should work with sounds that are 8 bit with mono channels and at 11025 hz.

No offense, but this is terrible advice.

One should always work in 16-bit or higher for their sources. Freedoom uses a lot of sounds that are higher than 11025hz (even Doom had a handful of 22050hz sounds), so not much reason to restrict yourself to a low rate, either.

Even Bobby Prince worked in 16-bit first. In fact, these sources were recovered and used in the iPhone port of Doom.

When you quantize to 8-bit, be sure to use a tool that handles it well, like Goldwave. Years ago, I made the mistake of exporting 8-bit from Audacity, but it annoyingly adds noise. I know better, now, and regret that I no longer have my sources (or many of my other files) after an HDD crash mid last year.

Thank you very much Blastfrog for your long and detailed answer. English is not my mother tongue, but I think I've understood most of it. I'll keep practicing, anyway !

11 hours ago, Blastfrog said:

No offense, but this is terrible advice.

One should always work in 16-bit or higher for their sources. Freedoom uses a lot of sounds that are higher than 11025hz (even Doom had a handful of 22050hz sounds), so not much reason to restrict yourself to a low rate, either.

Even Bobby Prince worked in 16-bit first. In fact, these sources were recovered and used in the iPhone port of Doom.

When you quantize to 8-bit, be sure to use a tool that handles it well, like Goldwave. Years ago, I made the mistake of exporting 8-bit from Audacity, but it annoyingly adds noise. I know better, now, and regret that I no longer have my sources (or many of my other files) after an HDD crash mid last year.

I meant that the final version should be in that format :P poor choice of words.

11 hours ago, Valerio said:

Thank you very much Blastfrog for your long and detailed answer.

You're welcome. :)

Being longwinded is my specialty. :P

1 hour ago, Voros said:

I meant that the final version should be in that format :P poor choice of words.

Ah, that explains it. It's nothing that any contributors need concern themselves with, the maintainers (or I) can handle it if necessary.