Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Oxyde

3 Heures d'Agonie 3 ! [Finally Final!]

Is there 3 separate wad's for these speedmaps. I try to click on the download links for 3HA (1) and 3HA (2) but it tells me that the page does not exist.

Some random notes of little to no practical application (especially seeing that there's a final release already, so what's left to apply?):

- looking at Oxyde's map07 here (as well as his maps in previous installments) I can only say that block monster lines are rapidly becoming a bane of his works. He's a very good mapper, but I'd say that rethinking gameplay while keeping the amount of said lines to a minimum is a better idea than endorsing all the awkward situations they create on the battlefield. I think it's the only major issue preventing this author's maps from becoming truly great.

- FranckFRAG has pretty much developed his own approach of being Richard Wiles of 21st century, I might not be the greatest fan of Swift Death in existence but I like his 3ha submissions, and in here he has outdone himself, especially with map19. Great stuff.

- Wilou delivers as always, it's nice to see that he isn't afraid of experimenting with the formula and making steps into different directions, even relying on tools as infamous and useless as chainsaw, heh. When will you make your own megawad, huh, William?

- Memfis has done a great job as well, I keep telling that speedmapiing is where he really shines. Whatever's the reason - this is the format in which he makes his most interesting and diverse maps. The two included in this set are no exception.

- It's good to see that JC practically returned to his usual style of mapping from much weirder things that were attached to his name in 3ha2, some fun stuff in here, polished and fast-paced.

- Darkwave has been totally merciless with his submission, quite impressive for 3.5 hours, yet it's ought to be his hardest map to date, much like the final fight of map 32 of Resurgence expanded. At first, this map was driving me mad; then I finally managed to get a hang of it, but it was still miles away from being a walk in the park. On the other hand - I couldn't free myself from the feeling while playing that this is probably how other people feel when playing my own maps, heh. Empathy can be enlightening at times. But man, the oath of darkness... what a pretentious title for a generic nukage/rusty techbase level, even from my heights of pompous Latin!

- I'm also willing to mention map30, I still disdain boss shooters and see no excuse in ever using them, but at the very least in this map it was more or less organically incorporated into the overall flow, and the whole setup was rather creative in its approach to IoS lobotomy routine. Who voiced the icon, by the way, and what does it say? I hear that it's French, but my nonexistent knowledge of the language can only lead to funny misinterpretations.

Overall though, I have to say that it's probably the best 3ha yet, quality throughout is fairly consistent, and there were no maps that I would call downright bad, each one had its memorable moments. It was inspiring enough to encourage me to keep playing, so I think that in the end everyone involved did a really good job, I could feel the enthusiasm that'd been behind this mapset throughout its development cycle. It's always great when things go that way.

Merci beaucoup, mon amis!

Edited by Demonologist

Thanks for playing and for sharing some of your thoughts, Demonologist. :)

Making maps for the 3ha series has indeed been a good opportunity for me to experiment on some of my favorite gameplay styles (classic casual Doom II SSG-centric levels, Hell Revealed-styled maps, pure E1 Shotgun rampages, vicious Stardate 20X6-ish stuff, etc....) and also to try and put some of my 1,5 GB worth of custom textures to good use with unusual visual themes. In that regard, I'm kinda disappointed that we won't make another episode, cause I still have tons of ideas.

As for a megawad on my own, heh, I probably won't be able to pull one off in this lifetime considering how slow a mapper I am, but I do have some stuff in the works.

I'm also glad that Darkwave0000 returned to make a map for 3ha3. At first, the 3-hour time limit was enforced for this project, which basically ruled Darkwave0000 off (as well as me). But then, after some discussions, the project leader (JC) realized that it was too harsh and accepted our maps in the project even if we went a bit overboard with the mapping time.

5 hours ago, Demonologist said:

- Darkwave has been totally merciless with his submission, quite impressive for 3.5 hours, yet it's ought to be his hardest map to date, much like the final fight of map 32 of Resurgence expanded.

Interesting, well I still think that Darkwave24 is his hardest map so far (I'm still totally unable to survive the ending onslaught), but yeah "Serment de Noirceur" is a strong contender.

As for the map name, yes, maybe it would have been nice to retexture the map with dark hellish textures so that it could go hand in hand with my own "Pacte de Noirceur" in 3ha2. :)

While I'm at it, I'll also congratulate Dime for surviving maps 29 and 30, and also for completely obliterating map 28 on the first try, haha. Should've made it a bit harder to bypass the monster pack during the Chaingun part.

5 hours ago, Demonologist said:

Overall though, I have to say that it's probably the best 3ha yet[...]

Cool. My favorite would be 3ha2, because it feels more cohesive and because the difficulty, while being hard, is more balanced. But 3ha3 isn't far behind.

On 09/04/2017 at 7:27 AM, Demonologist said:

Who voiced the icon, by the way, and what does it say?

"Salut, mortel. Es-tu prêt à mourir ?", which mean "Hi, mortal. Are you ready to die ?"

Also I think I recall Oxyde or someone saying it was taken from the French version of Hexen.

Yeah, The IOS voice is the french voice of Korax from Hexen 64 which says "Salut mortel, Es-tu prêt à mourrir ?" (Greetings mortal, Are you ready to die ?)

Heh, I should've guessed that. Thanks!

On 4/9/2017 at 3:54 PM, WH-Wilou84 said:

Interesting, well I still think that Darkwave24 is his hardest map so far (I'm still totally unable to survive the ending onslaught)

Well, YMMV I guess. As I said earlier - back in the day I was able to beat that map without interrupting the recording session and survived the final fight the very first time I reached it. Chances are that my second serious go through it would be much less lucky than that though, so I think I'll refrain from stating anything about its difficulty.

map07 👌

what is the trigger for the lowering of the YK? i couldnt work it out while playing.

Edited by rehelekretep

On 17/05/2017 at 0:09 AM, rehelekretep said:

map07 👌

what is the trigger for the lowering of the YK? i couldnt work it out while playing.

The trigger is the death pf the Mancubus (tag 666). :)

I'm playing this mapset with Complex Doom+LCA, in Oxyde's map....coincidentally :)....I need to pass the legendary pinky....

Just loaded it up and played the first two levels. Nice to have a megawad of snack-sized levels in the play queue, looking forward to going through more. Love how economical and fine-tuned FranckFRAG's opening is--I immediately thought of Swift Death, which I played (and enjoyed the hell out of) back before I really started to pay attention to mapper names :S After a little googling it all made sense. That dude really understands the mechanics of the game.