Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jaws In Space

Freedoom needs your help!

wmIPb88.png

Hello everybody! I am here looking for some mappers to contribute some new maps to Freedoom. Recently Freedoom has seen an upswing of quality submissions in the art, sound, & music departments, but one thing that has always plagued Freedoom is the quality, or lack thereof, of its maps. In the past week Blastfrog, Jayextee, & myself have each volunteered to oversee a set of maps in Phase 2 (Doom 2 equivalent) of Freedoom. We have taken it upon ourselves to edit, rearrange, & replace the existing maps. The three of us have decided that about 1/3rd of the maps are in need of replacement, listed below are the maps that were removed & are now open for submissions. Freedoom has it's own custom texture pack, just set Freedoom as your resource in Doombuilder when making your maps. Maps are to be vanilla compatible, so test them with chocolate Doom before uploading them.

To keep things simple if you want to make a map for Freedoom just make a post here & I will act as a liaison ensuring your map gets to the right place. For map 7, the map should be a rather small map that uses the 666 & 667 tags to progress, but an arena style map will not be accepted. For map 30 there is a boss room already made, I just would like a normal playing section that leads up to that boss fight. If you do have an idea for a cool Icon of Sin arena setup, you do have permission to simply not use the existing map 30 at all. As for the rest of the maps, just stick with the normal Doom 2 style of design. REMAKES/HOMAGES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. If you have any further questions feel free to stop by the Freedoom sub forum & ask. Hppy mapping :)

*All maps submitted to Freedoom must be of your own creation & completely free to use with permission for the project leaders to make any edits to the maps that they see fit.

Phase 2 Maps 1-11, Blastfrog

Map 7: Impie

Phase 2 Maps 12-20, Jayextee

Map 12:

Map 17: Sky

Map 20: -

Phase 2 Maps 21-30, Jaws In Space

Map 27: AD_79

Map 28: riderr3

Map 30: Gothic

Edited by Jaws In Space

Be sure to use the git build as your base IWAD! There has been a recent influx of patches and other cool stuff that 0.11.2 doesn't have!

Actually, I've managed to fill in all but one slot by now (cutting less maps than I expected, too).

All I need now is a MAP07.

7 hours ago, Blastfrog said:

Actually, I've managed to fill in all but one slot by now (cutting less maps than I expected, too).

All I need now is a MAP07.

I'm curious.

29 minutes ago, Impie said:

I kept the idea of "Gotcha!" in mind while making it

REMAKES/HOMAGES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

Of course I haven't checked out the map yet, so we'll see. 

I'm curious about that because I've never played or seen Freedoom.  Is the maplist updated? What kind of style do you look for like say MAP17?

Edited by Sky

1 hour ago, Sky said:

What kind of style do you look for like say MAP17?

The second 'episode' of FreeDoom, much like Doom 2, is kinda city-based but FreeDoom has very definitely more techbase about it all, so just something like that. Looking at the MAP16 and MAP19 we have, I'd say something that starts all brown-brick city and ends very much tech would be ideal.

I'll try to make something for MAP17 if you guys still need a map for it. If so, is there a deadline in the horizon?

6 hours ago, Voros said:

Of course I haven't checked out the map yet, so we'll see. 

I didn't remake the map, i just kept the title in mind, i.e. map is based around surprises.

In my opinion, the first maps of Phase 1 is harder than Phase 2 first maps. I mean latest versions.
Also mapping for Doom 1 is harder, guess why.
So about the map contributing - I working on my own next project, so I think I'm pass now. Moreover, my maps smell plutonish with a pinch of TNT.
If there was Freetonia or FreeTNT project, I will be interested.

4 minutes ago, riderr3 said:

In my opinion, the first maps of Phase 1 is harder than Phase 2 first maps. I mean latest versions.
Also mapping for Doom 1 is harder, guess why.
So about the map contributing - I working on my own next project, so I think I'm pass now. Moreover, my maps smell plutonish with a pinch of TNT.
If there was Freetonia or FreeTNT project, I will be interested.

I think a vaguely-Plutonic map would fit into my phase 2 slot (maps 12-20). Even if I'd have to do some shuffling around for difficulty's sakes, I wouldn't mind at all.

May be worth mentioning that even phase 1 appears to have the Doom 2 and Final Doom texture replacements.

A Plutonic map would suit well for episode ender maps, such as map11, map20, etc.

But map28 is open, and it's pretty far in the map progression, so it's naturally meant to be hard/challenging. You could have a go with that mapslot whenever you want.

Here is what I've done so far. I can't get the doors to work and i have no idea how to. most of the map is final. I might add some crates *along with working doors* i like to call this map "The Silo". It's supposed to be based around a abandoned missile silo.

mapmap077.zip

Edited by MrD!zone

8 hours ago, MrD!zone said:

Here is what I've done so far. I can't get the doors to work and i have no idea how to. most of the map is final. I might add some crates *along with working doors* i like to call this map "The Silo". It's supposed to be based around a abandoned missile silo.

mapmap077.zip

Read the OP, no arena style maps will be accepted for map 7.

On 30.03.2017 at 3:39 AM, Voros said:

A Plutonic map would suit well for episode ender maps, such as map11, map20, etc.

But map28 is open, and it's pretty far in the map progression, so it's naturally meant to be hard/challenging. You could have a go with that mapslot whenever you want.

Well I take a try on MAP28. Probably it will be middle sized hell-thematical level.

8 hours ago, Jaws In Space said:

Read the OP, no arena style maps will be accepted for map 7.

Ah Okay I'll try again.

Finally got around to this thread after my week or so of health worries.

On 29/03/2017 at 5:53 AM, Impie said:

I decided to take a stab at map 20 on a whim. It's a rough sketch thrown together in about a day, and I forgot to remove my custom-added music track, but I kept the idea of "Gotcha!" in mind while making it, and the fact that it's an episode ender.

May I edit this? I like what's going on here in general, but feel like it could do with some polish here and there; and a little adjustment to the fight dynamics.

11 hours ago, Jayextee said:

Finally got around to this thread after my week or so of health worries.

May I edit this? I like what's going on here in general, but feel like it could do with some polish here and there; and a little adjustment to the fight dynamics.

Sure, tweak it and repost. I'd like to see an altered version.

Mmmmm I'm hesitant because I think I already have too many projects, but I have a tentative idea for a MAP07 that would use the tags for a monster hunt instead of an arena situation. Sort of like a key hunt except you need to find all the Mancubi then Arachnotrons to progress. The trick will be coming up with a way to inform the player of their goal. Anyone else who wants to try and make a map around this idea go ahead, I don't know when I might be able to act on the concept. 

23 hours ago, Jaws In Space said:

People read the OP! NO ARENA MAPS!

I didn't make an arena map. Again, I read the OP and I'm following directions.

3 minutes ago, Impie said:

I didn't make an arena map. Again, I read the OP and I'm following directions.

It was me that didn't read the OP ;)