Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
everennui

ennui (Pre-Release) Another Map Appears

The first map was a Boom map that I originally wanted to put in DWMP 2017, but decided to release it by itself.

UPDATE: I'm pretty confident with the first map now. I'm not really sure if i'm making a Megawad or what I'm doing, but I made another map.

3/30/2017: I've put the maps together, and fleshed out Map02 quiet a bit. From now on I'll not include the q1tex.wad file, so you'll have to download that separately. This just save everyone a little bit of time deleting it when they're done.

(MAP01) I still need to fix the stimpack secret, but I'm not sure how I'm going to do it yet. (95%)
(MAP02) This one is now open for beta testing. (50% 70%)

Doom II
Tested in prBoom+ 2.5.1.4 and GZDoom 2.3pre
Built in GZDB
Textures: Quake (q1tex)
Build Time: A few days...
Difficulty Settings: Yes (Map01 only)
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/44as5pjtng7ijy5/ennuialpha4.wad

Textures: https://www.doomworld.com/afterglow/textures/zips/q1tex.zip
(Boom compat)

Thank you everyone for testing my maps. I really appreciate it a lot.

Photos:

Edited by everennui

Hello. Here is an fda for your map:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xy2bl5rzp344juz/ennui.zip?dl=0

Bugs:

- Baron/HK and two monsters in exit room stuck on top of each other.

- The wall that guards the stimpack is no longer counted as a secret after it lowers. Makes max impossible.

- Faces which appear to be switches do not react to the player using them (such as switch that reveals green armor and chaingunners.

Thoughts:

- I really liked the intro of the map. If you really wanted to you could remove the medikit in the chaingunner closet after grabbing that box of shells right at the start. I feel like removing hp would actually improve the map at the start, but that would be a gameplay choice you would need to make. I would prolly change the medikits to stimpacks or something on UV to make things more interesting.

- I don't like killing heavyweights such as mancs and barons with the shotgun. If the mancs are on their own then it is just an ammo/time tax imo. It might have been a bit different if the stuck baron and hk were also with the manc but I think my thoughts would be the same.

- The monsters guarding the exit tp are an odd choice imo. I was expecting a rev or av after the rest of the second half of the map.

- I was expecting the shotgunners guarding the rsk to be released after hitting the switch. Dunno if this is your intention or not. I thought it was odd that the shotgunners woke up after I shot in the rsk area because it gave away the trap. Maybe make them ambush the player or something.

I liked the map overall. Thanks for making it!

Played on HMP on QZDoom. Got 100% everything. I enjoyed the map. It was a little brown for my taste but I think you made it work pretty well with your design. I did get a bit bored of Revenants and Hell Knights, so maybe throw in a curveball somewhere. In particular I found the second Revenant to be kind of annoying since I had literally just killed one mere moments before I reached it. The Mancubus was a trivial fight thanks to me using all the rockets I had, maybe add some backup for it or just don't include the RL. I don't remember how I got it. You could possibly make it obtainable for the last portion of the map as well so the player can't just kill the Mancubus so easy. You could even make it more valuable by beefing up the fight at the end.

I noticed that here:

IbpMEOw.png

There seems to be an invisible wall, I assume to prevent the player from running into the next room. This was pretty disappointing since I thought I had discovered a way to a secret by climbing the bricks. You already seem to have the gap in the wall impassible so why not put something on that other brick and make it a secret? Course, that might be hard since the player would be able to grab it from the ground. I don't know, I just think that if you're going to have those bricks climbable you should do something with them.

I didn't notice any texture alignment issues, but here:

IEvaqxg.png

There's an odd difference of light. I saw some candlelight sectors in other parts of the map but here it doesn't seem to do anything but look weird. I can't find any possible source for this light.

Wow! This is a lot of good input. Watching that demo was really helpful, too.

I'm glad you took the badass route @Killer5 of grabbing the shotgun right away. That was fun to see. You play it better than me.

I kind of went the cautious route as far as health because I figured the player should be stacked up for the lift to the blue area. I'd usually get there with 60-70HP after grabbing all the health items, so running into the next room to grab the health was my natural go to. I didn't like that you just nested up by the fence and took out the revetments so I'll have to put something a little more threatening up there to keep you on the dance floor. (Medikit > Stimpack'd)

Funnily enough, I changed that secret to the lowering brick last second because you could grab the stimpack without activating the secret. I didn't realize that Boom would change it's secret status after it was lowered. Good to know. I wonder if there's a generalized action for that. I'll just make a brick come down from the ceiling so you have to walk in it first to get it. (Now UV Maxable.)

1 hour ago, Killer5 said:

Bugs:

- Baron/HK and two monsters in exit room stuck on top of each other. Fixed

- The wall that guards the stimpack is no longer counted as a secret after it lowers. Makes max impossible.Fixed

- Faces which appear to be switches do not react to the player using them (such as switch that reveals green armor and chaingunners. All switches fixed.

Thoughts:

- I really liked the intro of the map. If you really wanted to you could remove the medikit in the chaingunner closet after grabbing that box of shells right at the start. I feel like removing hp would actually improve the map at the start, but that would be a gameplay choice you would need to make. I would prolly change the medikits to stimpacks or something on UV to make things more interesting. I removed ALL medikits and replaced them with stimpacks on UV. I'm sure - after watching your FDA - you can do it still.

- I don't like killing heavyweights such as mancs and barons with the shotgun. If the mancs are on their own then it is just an ammo/time tax imo. It might have been a bit different if the stuck baron and hk were also with the manc but I think my thoughts would be the same. I was hoping that you'd use the RL on the Mancs, but you blasted away the shotgun guys instead. I think switching the fight around will help with that, but just in case I threw in a PE just to give you some motivation.

- The monsters guarding the exit tp are an odd choice imo. I was expecting a rev or av after the rest of the second half of the map. Archvile and a BoH. Hopefully that isn't too bullshit-tier. I added another rocket just in case.

- I was expecting the shotgunners guarding the rsk to be released after hitting the switch. Dunno if this is your intention or not. I thought it was odd that the shotgunners woke up after I shot in the rsk area because it gave away the trap. Maybe make them ambush the player or something. (agreed. i put a pipe connecting a teleport sector and unjoined them from the area.

I liked the map overall. Thanks for making it! (Thanks for playing it and thanks for taking the time to give suggestions and constructive criticism. I'm having a hard time beating it on UV now, but I think it's probably doable after watching your demo.

1 hour ago, NecrumWarrior said:

I did get a bit bored of Revenants and Hell Knights, so maybe throw in a curveball somewhere. (I'm not to sure what to do abut this.) In particular I found the second Revenant to be kind of annoying since I had literally just killed one mere moments before I reached it.

You could even make it more valuable by beefing up the fight at the end.

There seems to be an invisible wall, I assume to prevent the player from running into the next room. (The impassible line on the brick is just so the player doesn't get hung up on something. I put a few of them in spaces that I got snagged testing it.)

This was pretty disappointing since I thought I had discovered a way to a secret by climbing the bricks. (There is now another secret for you to find.) 

You already seem to have the gap in the wall impassible so why not put something on that other brick and make it a secret? (I originally didn't have that window blocked, but I felt like blocking it made the progression more solid.) I just think that if you're going to have those bricks climbable you should do something with them. (The bricks are lifted up in that one area to give you a line of site to gain access to the armor pick up secret, and also to not get the player stuck in that area with the cacos on UV.) 

There's an odd difference of light. I saw some candlelight sectors in other parts of the map but here it doesn't seem to do anything but look weird. I can't find any possible source for this light. (I was always kind of iffy about this area. It's supposed to be because of the skybox, but I don't think it looks right. I fixed that.)

)

Thank you guys for playing! I hope it's better now.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/nlwnqv6uinp5qin/ennui_alpha2.rar (NEW DOWNLOAD)

Well, in regards to staving the repetition of your Revenants and Hell Knights, you might consider using more Cacodemons. I think I fought just one playing on HMP, which seems odd considering just how many Revenants are in the level. That second Revenant behind the door is still annoying after replaying. I think replacing it with 2 Cacodemons would probably be more interesting, but that's just me.

I found your new secret. I was actually thinking while replaying the first Alpha that this map might do well with a Chainsaw, but a Berserk Pack is just as good.

The UV Stimpack in the Blue Key Room seems to have leaked into HMP so check its tags.

I changed my mind about the Rocket Launcher after seeing where it is for sure. I still think the Mancubus is way too easy though with it. If you don't press the button to release the Shotgunners it's really an easy fight. Giving it some sort of backup even if it's just a couple of Zombiemen would spice it up a bit.

The map is coming along quite nicely!

I didn't think there was enough room for Cacos in that room, but I'll test it that way and see if it works. 

HMP does seem kind of easy. I'll see what I can do. Give UV a try?

I started an FDA for this, but I wound up getting stuck in the stimpack secret; apparently if you run down from the berserk secret early in the level, not only can you reach the stimpack, you do so before the switch to lower the exit-brick appears. I gave the level a quick try after that but wound up dying near the end from a general lack of health. Health/ammo starvation generally equates to less fun in my experience and that was the case here. There were a couple nice, threatening encounters, but for the most part things were fairly non-lethal with the biggest threats of the map being survival without many resources and getting impatient, leading to stupid mistakes. The BK room does everything but encourage players to run straight in, leading to doorway camping, which coupled with a lack of health pickups means running in would be foolish.

In the room before the exit, the little support-railings blocked a lot of monster projectiles, reducing the threat said mobs posed. The closet next to the exit door has a HK stuck in both a baron and an AV. The hitscan usage at the end of the map, after fighting on low health basically the entire time, made me not want to try this again. It's not a good thing, nor fun, when a map's biggest challenge is a lack of health, ammo, or power weapons. Killing HKs, cacos, revs, and mancs with a single shotgun just isn't very conducive to fun on its own.

The aesthetics of the map were nice, but there was a lot of the same texture everywhere and a general over-usage of brown, imo. I think the aesthetics of this map could be made better with a few more bright colors here and there in the detailing/trim.

Still, some good ideas in here and the map looked nice. Keep at it :)

*Edit*

Also, switches didn't animate.

Edited by Fonze

Damn,  I wouldn't have thought you could jump that far. Kudos. I'll fix that. Which switch doesn't work? They all work for me. Which port did you use? I tested in prBoom+ and GZDoom. 

I don't really want the Manc to be a threat unless you camp up top. Three revenants, zombies and demons are kind of a lot to deal with, with just a shotgun and two rockets. I've been hit by a few of their shots and it's pretty painful. I'm actually worried that theirs too much health in the map on UV. There's 200 health throughout the map. Maybe you're getting too excited when you see the berserk pack.

I should probably put some more ammo in since I added the PE and Vile. They can make things a little complicated. Kind of a luck thing. 

I totally agree about the fine detailing. If I decide to finish it I'll definitely add some frills. 

Okay so I just want to preface this by saying I'm not a great Doom player. Now, the first half of the level on UV is pretty fun. I think it had just enough enemies to be fairly challenging. tbh I didn't even mind the Revenant behind the door because there was more involved in the encounter than just it. Also after looking at that door again you could totally fit two Cacos there. You'd be surprised where they can fit. Anyway, I was not feeling it as much in the second half. It seemed like the difficulty made a really big jump. Prior to that there was like 1 Revenant at any time, then suddenly you expect us to fight 3 plus a Mancubus and a bunch of smalls. It took me a really long time and was not fun. The really funny thing is, the very next fight down below is actually less overwhelming. It was still hard, sure, but that was largely because I was hurting for health after the previous fight. Also the area down below seemed more suited to 3 Revenants in my opinion. A lot more to work with in terms of trying to dodge projectiles. So maybe it would flow better with 2 Revs in the upper area and 3 down below. It'll still be pretty brutal overall but the flow will work a lot better I think. Also a medpack down below would be nice. I did use the Berserk pack to do some fisticuffs with the Revenants, one of my new favorite strats. It didn't work so well with three of them but it was fun for a laugh.

After seeing how hard your UV gets, I definitely think you need to beef up your HMP. The disparity of difficulty between the two is pretty huge. I can play HMP without breaking a sweat, but UV makes me want to kill myself. Being that hard is fine but people should be able to build from one difficulty to the next reasonably smoothly and your current HMP feels more like Easy mode (I forgot what it's called) so if you moved it down and then tried to find a middle ground between the two I think you'd be golden.

4 hours ago, everennui said:

Damn,  I wouldn't have thought you could jump that far. Kudos. I'll fix that. Which switch doesn't work? They all work for me. Which port did you use? I tested in prBoom+ and GZDoom. 

I don't really want the Manc to be a threat unless you camp up top. Three revenants, zombies and demons are kind of a lot to deal with, with just a shotgun and two rockets. I've been hit by a few of their shots and it's pretty painful. I'm actually worried that theirs too much health in the map on UV. There's 200 health throughout the map. Maybe you're getting too excited when you see the berserk pack.

I should probably put some more ammo in since I added the PE and Vile. They can make things a little complicated. Kind of a luck thing. 

I totally agree about the fine detailing. If I decide to finish it I'll definitely add some frills. 

I actually didn't even straferun to reach it, running forward was enough; With SR-40 or -50, reaching it would be very easy, which is dangerous because it looks like a reachable jump, coupled with an inviting stimpack makes it seem like the place to go (not speaking progression-wise, just in terms of a good place to go). Looking in-editor, you need to get rid of the trigger to reveal the switch; it's in a bad location.

None of the switch textures animate (or make sound); they all functionally work. It's prolly because they aren't defined in q1tex's switch lump.

I actually waited to use the berserk pack until I needed it, but that's not what the problem is. The berserk is secret anyway, so it shouldn't matter when the player uses it because its existence shouldn't be factored into 'mandatory stuff to complete the level.' There's 111 non-secret health given. I didn't find the armor either, btw, though in retrospect looking in-editor I can't believe I missed it.

The problem is health/ammo starvation/management being the biggest threat coupled with cleaving meat, often from one direction: the front, with mostly just a single shotgun. There aren't enough bullets in the level to use the chaingun as a main weapon more than once and even then, not for very long. The RL is given fairly late in the map and doesn't come with much ammo, either. This map doesn't favor aggressive play at all, which makes things tedious.

Still, you've done good here so far and I look forward to your next maps :)

Oh yeah, I forgot to confirm that I could make the jump over to that secret from the Berserk Pack. Normal running, you just have to aim for the closest corner of it.

3 hours ago, NecrumWarrior said:

Okay so I just want to preface this by saying I'm not a great Doom player. Now, the first half of the level on UV is pretty fun. I think it had just enough enemies to be fairly challenging. tbh I didn't even mind the Revenant behind the door because there was more involved in the encounter than just it. Also after looking at that door again you could totally fit two Cacos there. You'd be surprised where they can fit. Anyway, I was not feeling it as much in the second half. It seemed like the difficulty made a really big jump. Prior to that there was like 1 Revenant at any time, then suddenly you expect us to fight 3 plus a Mancubus and a bunch of smalls. It took me a really long time and was not fun. The really funny thing is, the very next fight down below is actually less overwhelming. It was still hard, sure, but that was largely because I was hurting for health after the previous fight. Also the area down below seemed more suited to 3 Revenants in my opinion. A lot more to work with in terms of trying to dodge projectiles. So maybe it would flow better with 2 Revs in the upper area and 3 down below. It'll still be pretty brutal overall but the flow will work a lot better I think. Also a medpack down below would be nice. I did use the Berserk pack to do some fisticuffs with the Revenants, one of my new favorite strats. It didn't work so well with three of them but it was fun for a laugh.

After seeing how hard your UV gets, I definitely think you need to beef up your HMP. The disparity of difficulty between the two is pretty huge. I can play HMP without breaking a sweat, but UV makes me want to kill myself. Being that hard is fine but people should be able to build from one difficulty to the next reasonably smoothly and your current HMP feels more like Easy mode (I forgot what it's called) so if you moved it down and then tried to find a middle ground between the two I think you'd be golden.

Here is a playthrough for version 2 with a reliable approach. (This isn't practiced or anything -- I kind of forgot where to go a couple of times :D). 

Spoiler

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ua3xjksfmnylbxw/ea_rdwpa_pt.lmp?dl=1

The encounter with the three revs (I sort of had a brainfart on the drop) is probably the toughest one: there is a safe zone below the drop, that little cubby. If you hang around there, you'll fight one or two revs at a time. Also useful not to run around too erratically so you don't catch stray fireballs and such. Using the chaingun is actually a lot safer.

The manc + two rev encounter immediately erupts in infighting if you move to one side and then wait for stuff to teleport in without firing.

With multi hitscanner closet reveals, a common technique is immediately rushing into one of the closets, which function as cover and prevent monsters from flanking you. 

You can probably manage these things. :) Although health/armor balance is pretty tight so doing the (easier) first half well is important.

Fixes:

I added more health in the RSK and BSK room.
Switched out the Manc for another Rev in RSK Room.
Unstuck all monsters.
Added box of ammo.
Flank attack at BSK Door.
Took care of secret problem.
Fixed switches with Switch lump. (I didn't like the switch change for QDEMON1).
Moved trigger for stimpack secret.
Two Cacos added to UV when you open BSK Door.
Two revs and Manc in RL Room on HMP.
Beefed up RSK room on HMP.

I still haven't been able to beat this yet, but I feel like if I stopped making dumbass mistakes I could do it.
Version 3:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/3zwnls736ugdnaf/ennui_beta.rar

i like this it was fun.  i had little problem getting it going usually would rename the compressed file extension to pk3 but that didn't work so i tried a batch file and that worked.  Also it would be nice to say what iwad you are using.  thanks for the work you put into this looking forward to more.

Here's the thing.

I'm having a bit of an issue importing custom Textures into the wad. I seem to be able to do flats okay (in a separate wad I've called textest.wad) , but when I try to do textures I get an error. I'm still reading stuff and I hope to figure it out soon, but until then I'm stuck with the two separate files.

Admittedly, I am still very green when it comes to Boom format. I haven't even tried to play the maps in prBoom+ without doing so through the editor so thank you for that comment. It gives me a little more motivation to get these textures in.

I'm glad that you enjoyed it. There's still some work to be done, but I'm really happy that I've been getting such good criticisms and help for my map. It really helps out a lot.

Edit: If you read the OP, I do specify the IWAD.

Very cool map! the layered traps were very dangerous, and I think the ammo distribution was a little off. I spent most of the beginning trying to eliminate all the monsters with pacifist-style infighting, then by the time I had gotten to the second part there were plenty shell boxes and dropped shotguns for me to carry. Then I had to be careful with my shooting again towards the end. Overall, the difficulty was very sharp considering it's only 90 monsters. You could maybe move one of those shell boxes from the second area into the starting area and this would have been a little less tricky in the beginning.

Overall, very good! Please continue mapping :)

Hey ennui, very fun map. Managed to beat it without dying but I got close a few times. I didn't notice ammo being tight but I would've liked a few extra rockets so I wouldn't have to shotgun/chaingun my way through the PE and archvile at the end. The stimpack secret seems a little useless.

Thank you for playing guys.

I adjusted a few things in the map and I'm pretty confident that this will be the last version.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/rkb40ol53i0sdez/ennui+last+beta.rar

I agree that the stimpack secret is pretty useless, but the other two secrets aren't. I added a little more health to the last version. I like to save my rockets for the end to get rid of the the last few monsters. There should be seven or so rockets which I feel like is more than enough. I feel like if there were anymore than you'd be a little too OP.

The trap at the BSK was a little tedious so I tamed it down a bit. It's still a wild ride, but it's much more manageable now.

This map flows nicely. I recorded a max, included below. It says 'casual max' but it's at a speedrun pace. The SSG is probably too late for rushing for it to be a good idea (the vile on the stairs can follow you into that room if you run past it), but SG-centric action isn't too bad, because the strongest monsters are two HKs, and you can weaken them while waiting for the first lift, which is among the ways the map flows well.

Aesthetically the BK area looks nice but there are areas that are noticeably unrefined -- the RK area and the hallways at the top are somewhat bare, and the silver lift at the start looks misaligned (and the texture doesn't fit too well imo). Some of the flat ceilings could use architecture, or even just visible sky. The map could also use a secret. I also never really like those starts where you have to pistol a shotgunner (even with perfect play, if you get bad RNG you take 30%+ damage), but admittedly this isn't such a big deal, given the SS/BA later.  Anyway, the map is very suitable for fast-paced gameplay, so I prefer it to the first one in spite of those things. 

ennui02_rdwpa_cmax.zip

Well I went to record a demo of this in PrBoom+, only to find myself having trouble even beating the first level lol! You definitely made it more interesting on HMP I will give you that. Glad you put the Caco behind the door. One thing I'd like to point out is that I had some trouble activating the Quake Sign Secret without vertical looking, which I play without on PrBoom+. I was able to lure the Cacodemon over to it and use the Shotgun spread to hit it, but it was slightly annoying to pull off. Will post a demo as soon as I can beat the thing.

2 hours ago, NecrumWarrior said:

Well I went to record a demo of this in PrBoom+, only to find myself having trouble even beating the first level lol! You definitely made it more interesting on HMP I will give you that. Glad you put the Caco behind the door. One thing I'd like to point out is that I had some trouble activating the Quake Sign Secret without vertical looking, which I play without on PrBoom+. I was able to lure the Cacodemon over to it and use the Shotgun spread to hit it, but it was slightly annoying to pull off. Will post a demo as soon as I can beat the thing.

You gotta think outside of the box to get that secret. Which you did do with the Caco, but there's more than one way to skin a rabbit.

Try the newer and improved version.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/44as5pjtng7ijy5/ennuialpha4.wad (Not bundles with texture pack. Check OP for that, if need be. There is no HMP (only UV) on Map02.)

Addendum: Also, let me know if you think that HMP is bullshit for the first map.

Edited by everennui

5 hours ago, rdwpa said:

...but there are areas that are noticeably unrefined -- the RK area and the hallways at the top are somewhat bare, and the silver lift at the start looks misaligned (and the texture doesn't fit too well imo). Some of the flat ceilings could use architecture, or even just visible sky.

The map could also use a secret.

I also never really like those starts where you have to pistol a shotgunner (even with perfect play, if you get bad RNG you take 30%+ damage)... 

This newer version looks a lot nicer. 

Five secrets added.

I added a Shotgun.

I hope the gameplay hasn't slowed down too much.

Dammit, I literally just got done recording a demo for the previous version! Anyway this is my first real demo I guess, and I can only partially call it an FDA as I tried to record it earlier. Also I knew Map01 from previous versions so yeah. Boy howdy though, you might want to tone it down ever so slightly on HMP. As I have said previously, I am not the best Doom player. But really it was just a matter of struggling with the first half. I only played the second half of the map maybe 3 times. As a result, about 2/3 of the demo are me trying very unsuccessfully to break through to the Blue Key. On the whole I do think it is an improvement over the older versions. I kinda miss the Mancubus but the double Revenant fight does a decent job replacing it, and does make it more challenging.

Map02 was pretty cool! It is rather surprising how well the Quake textures work in Doom. The brown even started to grow on me. Maybe that's just Stockholm Syndrome though. I think you got the difficulty curve down really well here. I did die a number of times but it was always somewhere different instead of being stuck in one area. It was easy for me to learn the map and start devising new strategies as I went along. I was kind of surprised how abruptly it ended. You seem to have a knack for compact level design that reuses its areas, which I like. I only ran out of ammo at the end, which you will see, so maybe just a little bit more so I can escape the map with 100% kills lol! I didn't much like the platforming bit but that's just because I hate platforming in Doom. The generator was very cool, though it did stand out kinda weird next to the Quake textures. Oh, and you can exploit the Arch-Vile by spawning it before you raise the stairs, which I do twice, and just peg it to death with your Shotgun.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/onjn5awgxjgen9v/ennui_FDA_Necrum.lmp?dl=0

Thank you for the FDA. I was a little confused by the MAP02 part. Did your toddler start playing? I mean, my grandma plays Doom better than that performance. :p

It's probably better you didn't do an FDA for that map, because I found some serious ammo problems.

I fixed ammo issues and I also took care of that Archvile so you couldn't spam him.

Link is updated in the OP. Still nothing but UV. Play ITYTD if you want a greatly reduced monster count.

e2Uugg9.png

17 minutes ago, everennui said:

Thank you for the FDA. I was a little confused by the MAP02 part. Did your toddler start playing? I mean, my grandma plays Doom better than that performance. :p

A) I was probably still frustrated from how long Map01 took

B) This will probably sound like an excuse, but I am still not really used to PrBoom+. I've played ZDoom based ports pretty much my whole Doom career and they do feel pretty different. Still getting the hang of it.

C) Go fuck yourself.