Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Roofi

Can the doomguy hear the music in the map?

2 hours ago, 42PercentHealth said:

Of course, in 2486 (or whatever year Doom happens), they probably will have microchips you can get planted in your brain so that you think you hear music all the time.

I don't need a microchip in my brain to have music stuck in it all day.

5 hours ago, 42PercentHealth said:

Of course, in 2486 (...)

2 486

I want to think that was intentional.

• He's actually humming it himself:

5 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

2 486

I want to think that was intentional.

I don't get it... does that number mean something? I just started with 24 and threw in a couple random digits.

2 minutes ago, 42PercentHealth said:

I don't get it... does that number mean something? I just started with 24 and threw in a couple random digits.

You know you're getting old when to younger kids, 486 is just a number.

1 hour ago, Maes said:

lol I'm 17

4 minutes ago, Maes said:

I don't know if 26 years old counts as a "younger kid" or not, but I also lived a sheltered childhood. So most pop culture references, sexual or drug-related references, etc. are wasted upon me.

1 hour ago, 42PercentHealth said:

486 was a really old CPU. If I'm not mistaken it was the recommended thing for playing Doom.

2 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

486 was a really old CPU. If I'm not mistaken it was the recommended thing for playing Doom.

OMGsh! I'm a computer engineer & die-hard doomer, and I didn't know that...

Maybe I should have picked a year like 24x86_64.

1 hour ago, KVELLER said:

I remember once trying Doom on a 286.  Smallest possible screen size and low-quality graphics meant a resolution of probably around 64x40, and it still ran like ass.

Kids these days don't know how lucky they have it.

Doom guy lives in a post modern reality where he both hears the music and realizes it's part of a narrative that consumes him and yet lies beyond his control. He also wonders why it hasn't changed in 23+ years.

4 hours ago, GoatLord said:

As far as "Least important questions one could possibly ask about Doom," this is up there.

How about literally talking about hair?

13 hours ago, Bauul said:

Kids these days don't know how lucky they have it.

If they did, they'd be playing Doom 2 WADs instead of Battlefield or CoD...

9 hours ago, Torturephile said:

John Romero once said that the Doomguy is supposed to be the player, so, yes he can.

The Grand High Exalted Mystic Lord Romero has spoken!

On 3/21/2017 at 0:03 PM, Angry Saint said:

There is diegetic and non-diegetic sound. Diegetic is the one playing inside the fictional setting and player/actors can listen to it. Non-diegetic one is one outside the setting and player/actors cannot listen.

I think music in Doom is non-diegetic.

I have a doubt about the pick-up sound. Is it diagetic? Does Doomguy really hear that sound when picking up stuff?

Pretty much, the music is there to liven up the game a bit. Doomguy would be unaware of it, as well as the pick up sounds. He would only hear the monsters, weapons, environment and himself. At least in the IWADS, somebody could make a WAD where he is listening to it.

Doomguy is the epitome of Badassdom.  It's been scientifically proven that the power of Badassdom generates it's own heavy metal soundwaves that travel outward from the source.  And since Doomguy is the source, he always hears it.

On 3/21/2017 at 4:53 AM, Roofi said:

Everyone uses a music in his map to give a more pronounced atmosphere and to not bore the player , but our character must also hear it too , no?

Haha... no. All the marine gets to listen to is the sound of gunfire, death, and screams. It's like asking if the soldiers in Saving Private Ryan hear the soundtrack score while they are trekking through France.

On 3/21/2017 at 9:27 AM, Memfis said:

In 2013 I made a level ("Nextgen Computer Station") where when you press the exit switch you don't win and only hear the intermission music. Then you get outside and yep, you find a giant jukebox that plays the song.

This is some Inception-type level stuff here.... lol.

I don't think he does, because otherwise the music in Map01 of Equinox would leave him completely paralyzed.

I like to think he hears the music in his head, especially considering the never-ending looping nature of most midis usually used in maps. I often get loops of music playing in my head for hours so perhaps he's in a similar situation.

I think Doomguy has an iPhone 666 for music and it still has 16 gb of capacity