Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Angry Saint

graphic card problem

I have a "strange" problem with my graphic cards.

I have an integrated Intel HD Graphics 530 and a dedicated NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB.

I can enable and disable each card via the Device Manager and I play DOOM (the last one, 2016) with the dedicated gpu at highest video settings without problems.

The problems come when I want to play some other games like Bioshock Infinite or FC3: Blood Dragon.

With the dedicated card enabled, the games crash. I can play them only with the intergrated gpu, obviously at lowest possible settings.

Ok, blood dragon at lowest settings is like Quake 2's cousin, which is not so bad to play, but I would prefer to play at maximum.

I have a desktop with win 10 64bit, intel i5-6400. All drivers updated. Games also started in compatibility mode and still have the problem.

Any ideas?

Disable the Integrated Card, remove Intel Graphics drivers, reboot update Nvidia Drivers, reboot and try again.

^ This. You can't have both Intel HD Graphics and a dedicated graphics card at the same time.

Even if I disable the integrate and enable only the dedicated?

Do I have to disinstall the integrate, right?

If I disinstall the gpu, even the dedicated one, how can I re-install it?

Doom is an exception, in that you can obviously get it to 'pick' one of the GPUs to run off

the other games are not as 'smart' and there is a conflict between the two pathways.

there should be a BIOS option to disable onboard graphics; that's a better option than deleting the software first.

if you disabled the onboard graphics, then uninstall the drivers, if you ever want to re-enable you can just turn them back on via the bios and the system will find their drivers when you boot.

On 3/21/2017 at 8:15 AM, HavoX said:

^ This. You can't have both Intel HD Graphics and a dedicated graphics card at the same time.

You can. Windows is even happy to let you use each one to drive different displays. It seems like more a case of those games being poorly engineered. I wonder if reinstalling them when only the dedicated card is enabled would do the trick.

However, rehelekretep is correct. If there's no use for the integrated card it should be disabled in the BIOS.

I don't think I've had to disable integrated graphics since win 2k or so... and never disabled them in the BIOS, that sounds hokey. Integrated is at least a failsafe in the event of the graphics card dying, but if you disable the integrated graphics at the BIOS then you're going to need to discharge the cmos battery to have a usable system again?

Really this sounds more like a config file problem for some random shitty games that are looking for a specific piece of hardware that it can't find because you've disabled it.

Well, I disable via device manager the integrated gpu, re-installed the games and still had the same problem.

But at this point I think that just disabling by device manager is not enough...

a config file is usually considered user-made and so is retained on your hdd even after a software uninstall

You could delete them manually, or edit them and look for sections on video/rendering. I dunno man your problem is application specific so you should research their support channels individually.

In theory, dual-GPU support is built into Windows itself since at least Windows 8 (or 7?), and even lets you preconfigure specific applications with what GPU to use. In practice, this doesn't work smoothly with all software, esp. software that came before such dual-GPU devilry even existed, so YMMV. Your best chance is to try your best to turn your PC into a single-GPU environment for those "shitty old games" to work. That might require reconfiguring any existing software, too, and again YMMV.

Just for curiosity - I actually solved this problem connecting the monitor to the HDMI of the dedicated card and not to the VGA of the motherboard.

But thank you anyway for your comments, I've learnt a lot of stuff.