Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
markcalloway

Nightmare Difficulty

Has anybody ever played one of the doom games on max difficulty setting nightmare? If so tell me how many levels you were able to complete on nightmare difficulty setting. I have managed to complete 7 levels including the first bonus level in episode 1 on nightmare difficulty. If you think you are up for the challenge on nightmare difficulty then try it to see how far you can make it. 

Done e2 and e3. I never try e1 and e4 on nightmare because I like doing nightmare from the first level without saves, As the hitscan can really get into your head with how annoying it can get. Done all of doom 2 and the hardest maps are easily the stupid annoying the pits and map02. Tried a bit of tnt before realizing it'll need way too many attempts to even bother, Same with plutonia. 

I've played through the first three episodes of Ultimate Doom on Nightmare. Ironically, the episodes actually get easier as you progress on Nightmare.

E1 is full of hitscanners, which will mow you down in seconds with no easy way to avoid damage.

E2 is slightly easier, but there are many cramped areas and tons of pinkies, which block your movement and only take a few seconds to kills you if you get cornered. The main difficulty spike in E2 however, hasto be E2M6, lots of narrow hallways, darkness, barons of hell, and backtracking. If you didn't conserve your plasma cells, good luck.

E3 is the easiest of the episodes, as there are generally fewer enemies around, and most hazards are environmental, which Nightmare obviously doesn't affect. There's also the BFG.

I don't plan on attempting E4 ever, that's insane.

I just tried this....and did it using Scaliano's monster shuffle.

Had my ass handed to me 9 times in a row playing E1M1 even before I could get past the area where you open the door that leads to where the imps are up high.

On my 10th try, I managed to fight my way through to the exit.......only to be shot in the back by a sniper just as I was about to open the door that has the imp behind it.

For those that don't know, Scaliano's shuffle uses zombie variants, one of which is a dead eye sniper..lol.

Crazy stuff.

I normally play on UV to try and conquer the level, killing everything, getting all items, etc...but this Nightmare stuff, man, just getting to the exit in one piece is victory enough

Nightmare might have been designed as a joke difficulty but it is still very playable and beatable. In fact nightmare is the only difficulty where you get to feel doomguy's fear of the swarms of demons waiting him everywhere on his way to kill the mastermind\icon of sin. 

I'd like nightmare more if it had respawning items, so I could stay in one area and kill all the enemies there at least once. Now only completed E1M1 and E1M2 and maybe half of E1M3.

Nightmare already has double ammo. Respawning items would make it too easy for people who already play it a lot. (Can camp to get cells\medkits\Rockets)

I've gotten through all 3 episodes thanks to this video from many years ago: 

The map that gave me the most trouble was E1M7

Episode 4 however, that's a highly maybe. I can't get past E4M1 on Hurt Me Plenty :V