Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Man of Doom

Doom '16 Mods

So the possibilities of a game like Doom 2016 being modded has so far yielded almost no tangible results (aside from a mod that implements modded explosion and improved SFX). 

In fact, there's an entire subreddit dedicated just for modding D2016.

That being said, the work I've found recently didn't come from that site, but rather from some more intensive digging to see if modding for D2016 could be viable. While Snapmap has considerably more content than it did at the time of release, many consider it to be a poor subsitute for true modding. 

Here's some of the work that this one guy did (along with a video I had posted a few days back in another thread):

Spoiler

The mods this one guy made includes one that gives you fists (as well as Berserk fists):

(Note: From what I can establish, this is the only mod thus far that has supposedly been finished.)

The rest are mods that have been yet to be completed. 

A mod that places the Cyberdemon in a non-boss area:

A mod that alters the AI for the Spider Mastermind so that you can fight it in a large area (here, E1M1):

A mod that gives the Cyberdemon a non-glory kill death animation:

A mod that basically acts as a sort of New Game+, gives you all weapons and monsters spawn in more areas:

And of course, the mod that leaves lasting corpses:

Personally, these have potential, but it's going to take a radical rework of the game code to make bosses like the Cyberdemon or the Spider Mastermind function outside of their respective arenas, plus it's kind of absurd to be seeing monsters like Mancubi and Barons in places like Resource Ops. 

Surprisingly enough, I actually wasn't all that impressed with the lasting corpses mod, but it may have to do with the fact that the author put dozens of Barons in a narrow hallway as a showcase to prove that the game (on a reasonably powerful PC) can still run at 60fps rendering dozens of larger corpses. 

What are your two cents on how the modding community for Doom 2016 is holding up?

Edited by Man of Doom

Interesting to see we're at the "50 barons and a cyberdemon in e1m1" stage of modding right now. It's like 1994 all over again!

I'm finding it disappointing that Doom '16 PC modding has been little more than tweaking with basic parameters. I wonder if id will eventually catch on that there are people in the community that want to do serious, "real deal" modding.

2 hours ago, GoatLord said:

I'm finding it disappointing that Doom '16 PC modding has been little more than tweaking with basic parameters. I wonder if id will eventually catch on that there are people in the community that want to do serious, "real deal" modding.

This ain't idtech 1.

Interesting, but personally I more looking for multiplayer mods. Whatever, it's good beginning!

On 3/22/2017 at 4:27 PM, Man of Doom said:

Looks pretty cool.  The 12 demon limit was obviously broken.  Thanks consoles!

People still mod for Crysis and Serious Sam BFE, etc. so I think it's a little retarded not to allow modding for Doom.  Even if no one does at least it's there.  I get the feeling it comes from higher up the corporate tower whether to allow modding, anyway.  Id's neck is chained with heavy corporate steel.

10 hours ago, Flesh420 said:

People still mod for Crysis and Serious Sam BFE, etc. so I think it's a little retarded not to allow modding for Doom.  Even if no one does at least it's there.  I get the feeling it comes from higher up the corporate tower whether to allow modding, anyway.  Id's neck is chained with heavy corporate steel.

"Corporate?" You mean Bethesda? The company that allows modding in the games they publish?

Hasn't it been understood that it's not even worth it to release mod tools for a game like this, as no one could mod new material with this in any reasonable amount of time? This isn't idtech 1.  

They released mod tools for Rage. No one did shit with them. 

2 hours ago, Sig said:

Which is a damn shame as far as I'm concerned. I liked RAGE enough that I would've loved to see a couple of mods for it.

On March 23, 2017 at 1:54 PM, Sig said:

This ain't idtech 1.

How did id tech 1 modding start out first? hex editing right? id tech 1 had time to grow into something more, such as ZDoom. It's too early for Doom '16 to have full blown mods.

If things go well, Doom '16 might be something greater in the future. Who knows?

I'm guessing either someone at id or someone at Zenimax is the reason why modding isn't more widespread on Doom (2016). As Sig pointed out, Bethesda is very mod friendly with their games and has even featured mods that they approved of for consoles since Sony/Microsoft would never allow unsigned code on their systems.

On 23.03.2017 at 1:49 AM, Piper Maru said:

Well there you have it, demon corpses that don't fade.

Just imagine the amount of ragdoll flap going on with this mod

On 28/03/2017 at 2:50 AM, Sig said:

It does not help that not many people cared for RAGE in the first place.

Anyway, if there are mods that replace the music and allow me to skip the cutscenes, I would be a very happy customer.

Edited by JohnnyTheWolf

Guest MIND
On 11/2/2019 at 10:36 AM, superboo07 said:

I want to make a mod that makes weapons do more damage. can someone here please tell me how to do that

You can't. Game systems these days are so complex that they really don't give a shit about user creativity anymore. It's all about MUH GRAPHICS and they release a new updated engine with each game instead of just letting the previous one get worked on.

Modding has been replaced by DLC and Microtransactions.

Interesting, I wonder if there's anyone is making a mapset or something with this, Snaphak is a feature that allows a lot of custom stuff to be implemented without any modifications of the game files and it has a lot of potential.

On 11/20/2019 at 1:03 PM, Guest MIND said:

You can't. Game systems these days are so complex that they really don't give a shit about user creativity anymore. It's all about MUH GRAPHICS and they release a new updated engine with each game instead of just letting the previous one get worked on.

Modding has been replaced by DLC and Microtransactions.

Did you seriously just say you couldnt without even knowing? It is easily possible. I agree with everything else however

On 11/2/2019 at 7:36 AM, superboo07 said:

I want to make a mod that makes weapons do more damage. can someone here please tell me how to do that

For a quick explanation you can change the damage of weapons and demons by changing their decl files (basically what the game references for values idk) for an actual explanation. I recommend joining the Doom 2016 modding server. 

https://discord.gg/Uc6jA6Rh6B