Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jannak

What happened to Post Hell?

@dmg_64

That's not the same thing and it's been discussed already in this thread. You have read the thread, right?

I was pretty indifferent about it at first but having just participated in a thread that is now deleted makes me miss it deeply. Its probably going to bother me for the next 6 minutes that I didn't get to read what happened before it crossed the line :(

I'm hopeful that without archiving flame wars and other silly nonsense that the mods may be a little more lenient about censorship. Find old threads to point and laugh at was part of Doomworlds charm. I'm sad to see it go.

Yeah I feel Post Hell was useful when a topic suddenly gets deleted and you want to catch up to the exact moment the train wreck reached its apex.

Then there's also the flip side of the coin: stuff that would qualify for PH but somehow flies under the radar or is let to fester and rot, even if it's quite obvious that it hasn't escaped the attention of the mods, sometimes due to a joke, sometimes due to blatant partiality. It also depends a lot on whose watch it happens.

I mean, PH was cool 20 years ago when most of the founders and initial group were in their early or late teens or breaking into their early twenties... You know, a few still in grade school, majority still in high school or just starting into college.

But now that most of us are in our mid 30's, 40's, and hell even 50+ (for some)... It just seems childish and quaint today. Kind of out of touch with the times and the target age groups. Long story short: We grew up.

Just my two cents, though.

Eh, I always felt that the "We Grew Up" argument (In general, and not this specific case, though it can be included) was something of a bum-rap. I think if we grew up, we wouldn't be playing an edgy-90s video game built to entertain teenagers and college kids with its angsty-violence and Heavy Metal influences (With Heavy Metal often being considered to be something of a juvenile medium). "We Grew Up" pretty much ends up translating too "We Grew Up, except for a few hand-picked things because they don't count because I like them," which ends up defeating the entire argument. 

2 hours ago, Clonehunter said:

Eh, I always felt that the "We Grew Up" argument (In general, and not this specific case, though it can be included) was something of a bum-rap. I think if we grew up, we wouldn't be playing an edgy-90s video game built to entertain teenagers and college kids with its angsty-violence and Heavy Metal influences (With Heavy Metal often being considered to be something of a juvenile medium). "We Grew Up" pretty much ends up translating too "We Grew Up, except for a few hand-picked things because they don't count because I like them," which ends up defeating the entire argument. 

Hmmm. In the sense of DOOM being a classic that has withstood the test of time, sure, it's something from my teenage years I still enjoy and consider one of my favorite things, but not in the sense that you've portrayed. Some of us saw something else in DOOM rather than angsty tweens obssesed with heavy metal 90's edgy head-turning violence. In fact, it wasn't until much later I noticed that particular crowd taking interest in DOOM.

I'd attribute to what I saw or felt about DOOM more to be akin to 'Aliens' and 'Army of Darkness's or epic sagas and action movies or something along those lines, and not some music/fashion style.

As such, alot of us out-grew those stages of our lives, maybe holding onto certain aspects or memories that were the most authentic and unique, while forgetting the remainder or looking back on it as ridicolous now.

There's alot of movies, music, games, trends, etc that were cool, stylish, or seemed appropriate then that all these years later seem silly or ridicolous with age. I can think of a shit ton of stuff now where I laugh and say "Damn, what was I thinking" or "Damn, I can't believe I was into that crap" and "Heh, that really was pretty lame".

Not everything, of course. But alot of it. And in that sense... I grew up. Some of it grew up with me. Alot of it didn't though.

Im implying I feel that's why PH has been cut... Yesteryear humor that seems out-of-place today and attracted more harm than good by immortalizing stupidity, and detracted from the point.

Edited by Buckshot

1 hour ago, Buckshot said:

But now that most of us are in our mid 30's, 40's, and hell even 50+ (for some)... It just seems childish and quaint today. Kind of out of touch with the times and the target age groups. Long story short: We grew up.

DoomWorld: Get Off My Lawn, You Damn Kids! (TM) Edition?

Have to agree with Clonehunter. There's value in maturity, but it's not a moral imperative.

Well then... I shall see you all in Hell.

9 hours ago, 40oz said:

I'm hopeful that without archiving flame wars and other silly nonsense that the mods may be a little more lenient about censorship. Find old threads to point and laugh at was part of Doomworlds charm. I'm sad to see it go.

Or create a Megathread linking to the stupidest shit still in the bowels of the forums.

10 hours ago, Buckshot said:

But now that most of us are in our mid 30's, 40's, and hell even 50+ (for some)

I feel like a fucking baby, then.

13 hours ago, Pirx said:

so, is post hell gone for good? it won't be missed.

Oh it'll be missed alright. Just not that much.

Pretty sure Linguica's hidden it away, like all the other Doomworld pages. Isn't that what a 403 error implies?

Ling posted a picture in this thread showing that Post Hell still existed, just hidden from public view.

Perhaps Linguica could offer the ability to buy Post Hell viewing access. Either people would suddenly stop missing Post Hell, or Ling would get to recoup the cost of the forum software upgrade. Win/win IMHO.

14 hours ago, Clonehunter said:

(With Heavy Metal often being considered to be something of a juvenile medium).

That's a kind of old-fashioned perspective on heavy metal :)

These days, heavy metal is music people's dads (and granddads) listen to. Ozzy Osbourne is 69. Rob Halford is 65. etc.

14 hours ago, Maes said:

DoomWorld: Get Off My Lawn, You Damn Kids! (TM) Edition?

I miss Cool Kids and his birds.

Some guy posted some version of Doom he'd done in Unreal. He was from some Eastern European place and talked like Google translate. 

He was a loon, but he was a really entertaining loon and he wasn't hurting anyone. I can't remember any flaming going on. I was really looking forward to some of the unintentional humor of the situation. I was really disappointed to tune in one day and find him in post hell. 

It did feel at the time like "No Fun Allowed!" Sigh. 

On 3/25/2017 at 2:34 PM, Buckshot said:

Long story short: We grew up.

I'd be on board with this if the forum didn't currently look like an abandoned Reddit for kids. 

I actually used to sit in Post Hell before I had an account on DW, just to listen to the funky music it had. Those were good times. Oh and not to mention the weird shit people posted to get into there.

I spent years studying post hell. It allowed me to learn a great deal about the people and events throughout the different eras of doomworld...

And yes.. it was amusing to see how batshit insane some users where...