Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

How you discovered the Doom series? / Your first time playing Doom?

My first doom expeirence was the PS1 version. it was so difficult and scary playing it. stiff controls and in a game you're unfamilar to, cycling through weapons when a Nightmare-Spectre appears only to accidently use the Rockets at point-blank range was infuriating. Then i got GZDoom. i enjoyed how well each level was made and i liked to think there was a story in each level. such as Tower of Bable where you see the pinned up dead barons.

Doom2 was great to see new enemies, but the visual design didn't seem as realisic as Doom1. but the maps were great in their own way.

after completing them, i went back to Playstation doom and boy, it was amazing to see the dynamic lighting in it, and surprising to see pain elementals in some doom1 maps.

doom3, i dont have, but i've played a few hours of it, it is good as a horror game.

doom4, only played 2 horurs, but it was like doom 3 on steroids mixed with some Brutal Doom

I think it was 97 or 98, I was 7 years old ... it was the shareware version ... I had already seen the game on television or in magazines, I remember I was alone in the workshop where the pc was, started the demo Gameplay, I get scared and close the game

I only started playing DOOM about 5 months ago on an iBook G3 Clamshell from 1999. I liked it at first...and then...it happened....it sunk it's hooks into me. It hasn't gotten boring to me at all, I think its actually gotten funner. Then, I got into speedrunning about 3 months ago. DOOM FOREVER, SUCK IT QUAKE!!!!!!!

I think the first time I played doom was in the late 90s, it was included on a CD with multiple games that were a few years old.

I didn't get past the first door because I didn't know that there was a "use" button. I only tried playing it again a few years later.

1. When was the first time you ever played Doom?
    The year it was released, I nagged my dad to get a 386. He downloaded it from a BBS at work when we only had a 286 so it was his own fault :P

2. Which version?
    Not a clue, sorry.

3. What do you remember from your first playthroughs? 
    Thinking this is freaking awesome.

4. How did you feel at that time? compared to how you feel nowadays playing i
    Can't remember how I felt but I was pretty clueless and I still am.

5. Umm, anything you want to add related to my questions...
    Doom is life

1. When was the first time you ever played Doom?

A: 1994.

2. Which version?

A: Probably 1.4 of Doom 2. There are white bars for the first switch on Map02: Underhalls.

3. What do you remember from your first playthroughs? 

A: I just IDDQD everything... and Cacodemons give me nightmare even they couldn't hurt me.

4. How did you feel at that time? compared to how you feel nowadays playing it.

A: I was 6, so I don't really understand how to play games. Now I thought I was kind of stupid at that moment. The first time playing without IDDQD was probably in 1998. Then at 200X, I tried the game for real without saving and tried to understand how things work.

5. Other experience

Some Thoughts:

I don't know how they got this game inside China because at that time, there wasn't Internet there. The game was copied in many 5.25 inches disks (probably 10 of them). BTW, I don't know why everyone knew IDDQD and IDKFA at the moment.

Scenario 1

(First day playing Doom 2 on my older cousin's computer)

Cousin: Don't you think you should play on Ultra-Violence?

Me: Why not Nightmare!?

Cousin: IDDQD doesn't work on that.

Me: Let's try.

(15 minutes later, made it to Map02 with 5X% Health)

Me: Save it right here. Don't delete this save, for memory sake!

Scenario 2

(Went to visit my cousin)

Me: How's Doom?

Cousin: Don't ask me, play it yourself! (very impatiently)

(Turned on his computer and load the savefile, and it was on Map24: Chasm)

(After 1~2 hours of S/L, I finally beat the map. Probably my cousin hated Doom so bad because of this map ;P)

Scenario 3

(Finally I wanted to play Doom on my own computer)

Cousin: Your computer can't play Doom.

Me: Why?

Cousin: You need 4 MB memory, but your computer only has 2 MB.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess playing on UV is a standard is from 1994... Of course, it's an illogical thinking process: "IDDQD -> Gotta play the level with most monsters with IDDQD -> UV". Also, I think I was affected by this, so I thought the only two difficulties in Doom is UV and NM. Then, talking about 4 MB memory, it's very funny for modern standard because it's only 1/4096 of most of the computers right now. Finally, the hate of Chasm has celebrated it's 23 year birthday!

19 minutes ago, DoctorGenesis said:

Why must you say such a blasphemous thing.

this is DOOMworld bro. not QUAKEworld :-)

3 hours ago, ImpMan11203 said:

this is DOOMworld bro. not QUAKEworld :-)

Quakeworld is an update to the original Quake. So there for you can not compare it to Doomworld, a forum.

7 hours ago, DoctorGenesis said:

Quakeworld is an update to the original Quake. So there for you can not compare it to Doomworld, a forum.

how would I know that? I don't play Quake

41 minutes ago, ImpMan11203 said:

I don't play Quake

Then what are you waiting for?

what annoys me the most about quake is that sound every time he jumps

and also the gameplay is not as good as Doom (I'm not saying that because I'm a Doom freak, it's just true) even on Nightmare.

Yeah here at DOOMworld we hate QUAKE. I wonder who made that shitty DOOM ripoff anyways. You're one of us now, ImpMan11203!

6 hours ago, Pavera said:

shitty DOOM ripoff

that should be the official name for Quake

Edited by ImpMan11203

The first time I ever saw Doom was on a school-friend's PC when I must have been about 10 or so, so around 1995. 

It was the shareware version of Doom 1 (naturally) and it was also the first time I'd played on a PC. At home we had a Commodore Amiga, which wasn't Intel compatible (it ran on Motorola CPU of all things).

There is one very, very specific memory I have: the maze in E1M4. Specifically the low ceiling. I remember seeing this texture whizz by so close to my head as we ran down the corridor, it seemed so lifelike, so fluid in motion. I had never seen graphics like that before, it seemed completely out of this world. 

When my dad bought us a PC a year or two later, it came with a CD of about 500 demos. I remember hunting through it desperate to see if Doom was on there. Of course it was, and the rest is history!

Back in 2001/2002 my dad bought a gaming magazine, and it was a special edition that had a CD with 100 demo/shareware versions of games! Among them was Doom. As a 2 year old, I watched my dad play. I really have strong memories about E1M3 and E1M4, for some reason.

One year later, I started playing. I played Quake 2 for the most part, but I also played Doom sometimes. I remember getting only up to E1M5, and the music scared me too much to keep going, so I would just quit the game in front of that slime river.

I actually never cared too much about Doom until I was 13. It was the time when I discovered the existance of WADs, and a new world opened up for me.

2008, SNES copy; the music was amazing, and the atmosphere as desolate enough with that SNES sound that I didn't mind the poor-quality graphics. It was the first time I ever got my hands on DOOM. That port still had the most faithful level design of its time.

I first played Doom with a shitty pirated copy of 1.2 in Summer 2016 I downloaded from MyAbandonware, back when I had a shitty old iMac and played it with Boxer, and I cheated through everything. Same goes with a copy of 1.666 of Doom 2 I downloaded from the same site. I got some shitty pre-G2.2 macOS port of GZDoom just to play  Brutal Doom, and I pirated more of id's games, but I eventually cracked down, deleted my pirated copies of the games, Eventually bought Doom Classic Complete on Steam, installed it with Wine so I could use it with GZDoom, eventually buying Strife, Quake 1-2, and other games Christmas 2016, and got a new computer for my birthday this year. Notable memories of Doom when I was a swashbuckling pirate was spamming IDBEHOLDV during the Cyberdemon, then discovering all the cheat codes on the Doom wikia site, and pirating Ultimate Doom just to play Episode 4. Jesus.

It was 1995 or 1996, my friend told me about this videogame with different guns, and you had to collect keys. You would kill "pigallos" and some of them would be invisible. We would play "doom" in the schoolyard, and shoot the pigallos, which were all the invisible type. A year or two later I moved houses, and lived a few houses away from this friend. I finally got to play the real Doom in it's glory on his PC, which was amazing to me (we only had a sega genesis at this point, no PC until 1998.)

A good friend Joe brought it over, older kid from couple houses down (friend of my older brother's too). It was the Doom2 CD, I wasn't allowed to play it at the time (I was about 9 or 10), but it was cool to play it for a bit! I was allowed to play the Wolfenstein 3D shareware though.

First time I played through and beat Doom 1 was a bit later on jdoom/Doomsday Engine.

First time I played Doom was back in 1995/1996 on a PC running Win95 that my dad had recently bought. It was just the shareware version, but as one of my first wholesome game experiences as a five year old kid, it was more than enough. My most vivid memories of my first times playing it was the maze in E1M2, how fascinating it was to see that pathway ascend from beneath the toxic pool in E1M5, getting lost in the maze within E1M6, trying to figure out how to get out into the outdoor areas in E1M7 while conserving rockets for the next level - and E1M8, of course. 

For awhile, I was under the impression that those Barons of Hell wore khakis, rather than the beige color coming from the fur on their legs. And since my reading comprehension wasn't the best back then, I didn't know that the episode ended right there after that teleport trap. Several times I went with full health into the trap and made attempts to kill everything inside that dark room, so I could figure whatever secret it was that they guarded. Turns out the secret was that the room was rigged to "kill" you regardless, exiting once below 20%. Then there was that time I was pretending to play Doom with the monitor shut-off.

I never actually played the entirety of Ultimate Doom until 2003, though I did get Doom II back in 1997. And it was a hell of a nice time being treated to what Doom II had to offer on top of all the registered Doom exclusive monsters/weapons. Once again, my child mind had me thinking there was more to the levels than there actually was, which led me to spend a lot of time exploring MAP20, MAP24, MAP31, for whatever reason. Part of it was due to dreams about finding hidden areas in those maps that would've presumably led to the continuation of the game on a different path.

Since it took me awhile to have a consistent enough internet access to where I could access custom wads while eventually getting ahold of Ultimate Doom, I've played what I had available along with Heretic on the side. When I did get ahold of the registered Doom, I wasn't really blown away by the second and third episodes, but that's partly because I got the GBA version a while before it.

Nowadays, I'm somewhat fatigued of KDITD and Doom II, preferring custom megawads and the PSX versions over the original PC IWADS. Doom 64 is another story however. I wasn't too big on it back then due to always getting stuck in the Alpha Quadrant, but now it's probably my favorite Doom entry since the atmosphere, level designs, colored lighting, music and more potent sounding weaponry have really grown on me, while containing my favorite interpretation of Hell in the series. I still replay the EX version once every year or two and it's just as fun as the first time (or maybe the time that I was good enough to actually beat it).

Overall, the game is still enjoyable, due in part to its persisting community of people contributing new content to play, and how well balanced the game feels. Decently-made maps get you thinking about what weapon best fits the scenario, especially when ammo is low, and each of them stay useful even when you have the most powerful ones in stock. Not sure if the same can be said for modern FPS games, I just never could really get into them.

Just like the title says, how do you doomers meet Doom?

I myself know this glorious game because of my uncle. 

When I was a kid, I was just looking for toys in my house and I found a big, strange and terrifying box. Doom 3.
You can make a simple idea of the impact that gave me just finding the box, since it is ... am ... extravagant for a child to find an image of a demon with staves behind.
Of course, do not make me sick or obsessed with the idea of Satanism, I'm not weak minded. But even so I was very curious to know what it was, the box was very well adorned without a doubt, and I collected it for a few days. Until my uncle realized that he had his box of Doom 3 hidden and of course I take it away, that day also, he showed me the game. Wow.
It was frightening, yes, very creepy but certainly looked very funny. The 2 of us just died of fear playing together, well, he was the one who stayed playing and I just watching. They were incredible times, very funny, my first impression of Doom. No doubt something unique that I had never seen. At that time I was not very accustomed to shooting games, not even to the computer, I usually played a lot on PS2 but almost none of my games approached the atmosphere of Doom, the closest was Silent Hill 2 (Another of my favorites). 

doom_horror_loop2.gif

So I met Doom 3, and now how did I meet Doom I and II? Probably several years passed, he was already an experienced PC player, he played many things, especially FPS and RTS, so on Steam came an epic ad that he did not think possible. Doom 3 BFG Edition. It was surprising and immediately began to save to get the game (saving is the only thing I could do for that time) In the end manage to get the game and to my surprise, Doom I and II! I decided to try them, I just liked them, they were very funny and oh my, listening to that soundtrack is one of the funniest things I've ever had with video games. It was just hilarious to shoot with a shotgun at full speed in a game much older than me.

Little by little time passed and my only ambitions were Doom, 3, 2, 1, Ultimate, Final, I played them all without stopping. Finally I found on the Internet the power of Mod and Wads, I learned with some patience the technicalities of this game and I venture into its great community. For 2013 or 2014, I was young, lively and very happy in my room next to my computer, nice speakers, my keyboard and mouse next to my Skyrim Mousepad. That was my description of perfection. Zdoom was my first port of Doom, I found an endless chance for my imagination and with the use of Wads, my future playing was assured. And to this day, I always enjoy it big time. I have no ability to create much less wads or mods, nor can I draw or create special things for the game, but I enjoy it like never before and that's all that matters.

And well, so I met Doom and that's my story, sadly in my country the game is not well known so apart from my uncle, I do not know anyone else who plays it, but it is still a fascinating game that will remain as the father of the FPS in history.

So how did they get to know Doom?

Btw, thank you for reading.

giphy.gif

I first played DOOM when I was 8( it was the PS1 version tho). I had this really old PS1 which my dad bought from a flea market in 2010. And when I went with my dad to buy some games, I found this game called 'DOOM', where there is a picture of a guy shooting a laser to a monster. I was really amazed by the cover that I asked my dad to buy it for me. I have been a fan of this game ever since.

Just now, TFK said:

I first played DOOM when I was 8( it was the PS1 version tho). I had this really old PS1 which my dad bought from a flea market in 2010. And when I went with my dad to buy some games, I found this game called 'DOOM', where there is a picture of a guy shooting a laser to a monster. I was really amazed by the cover that I asked my dad to buy it for me. I have been a fan of this game ever since.

Yes, all those covers are fantastic, Master Levels for Doom, Doom 3 and Thy Flesh Consumed are my fav covers. 

Originally posted in this thread.

I was eight years old in 1993 when Doom originally came out. My older brother had introduced to me this FPS which we spent countless hours blasting baddies with shotguns and mowing demons down with a chainsaw. Our sister, the elder sibling, watched on with disapproval shaking her head. The on-screen demon combat, the sound of war, the satanic imagery, the rocking soundtrack provided by Bobby Prince really pulled me and formed an obsession which carries onto this very day. Then Doom II came out and once again I was amazed. 32 new levels which offer lots of exploration. The iconic double barrel shotgun, the debut of even worse monstrosities who were more than capable of reducing you into hamburger meat if you weren't careful. However, over the years, I find myself disliking Doom II. My main complaints are the maps themselves, they feel rushed and unpolished. 

By the time 1995 came around I was a PlayStation fan, and still am to this very day. And Doom had been ported to the PlayStation console. I was once again totally blown away by this incarnation of Doom, in fact, I was outright terrified. The cold desolate moonbase of Phobos and Deimos had taken on a more gloomy and foreboding appearance. The lighting, the sfx, the delightfully haunting ambient score proved by Aubrey Hodges really pulled me in. I had been dragged to depths of hell that I didn't know existed.

My opinion about Final Doom is this, I think there is a lot good and bad mixed in both TNT and Plutonia. I prefer the PSX version of Final Doom because it's a collection of some of the best maps from it, plus the Master Levels. Although I will say that I think Plutonia makes for a better Doom II. (Yes I'm aware the mappers based their works on many Doom II maps). 

I had first learned of Doom 64 through GamePro. 1997 was an interesting year for me, but my main obsession was getting my hands on this newest Doom. The first time I played Doom 64 was at this locally owned and operated movie/video game place. I asked if I could try out Doom 64. I popped the cartridge into the N64 console and watched the opening title sequence and felt my heart racing. Soon I started a new game and found myself in the Staging Area holding a pistol. The long forgotten relay station on Mars was no longer abandoned, instead it was infested with eldritch demon horrors from beyond the stars. To my left and to my right were the reanimated remains of my fallen comrades who were now thirsty for my blood. I quickly put them out of their misery, but the gunfire drew the attention of more undead soldiers. Quickly dispatching them with the shotgun I found on the floor I stopped and listened for any more wheezing sounds of the undead. All I could hear was the haunting ambiance provided once again by Aubrey Hodges, whose work has found it's way into my heart.  Soon a hidden maintenance door zipped upwards and a wet, snuffling, gurgling roar emitted from behind me. I spun around and was ambushed by the familiar bullpig demon who seemed even more terrifying now. Needless to say it gnawed my face off. Soon I found myself going home with my very own copy of Doom 64. I think nowadays Doom 64 is my favorite of the bunch for a multitude of reasons.

When it comes to the Newfangled Doom, I have to say that I adore these games. Yes they're different from their progenitors but so what? To me they still capture what made the originals so great. I think Doom 3 is a great game, to me it feels like running through a haunted mansion which I love! And Doom 2016 is like Doom 3 on steroids with a special focus on the action.

Overall the Doom series is long lived and will continue into the future in one form or another. The series has earned a special place in my heart it will keep that spot.

4 minutes ago, Piper Maru said:

Originally posted in this thread.

I was eight years old in 1993 when Doom originally came out. My older brother had introduced to me this FPS which we spent countless hours blasting baddies with shotguns and mowing demons down with a chainsaw. Our sister, the elder sibling, watched on with disapproval shaking her head. The on-screen demon combat, the sound of war, the satanic imagery, the rocking soundtrack provided by Bobby Prince really pulled me and formed an obsession which carries onto this very day. Then Doom II came out and once again I was amazed. 32 new levels which offer lots of exploration. The iconic double barrel shotgun, the debut of even worse monstrosities who were more than capable of reducing you into hamburger meat if you weren't careful. However, over the years, I find myself disliking Doom II. My main complaints are the maps themselves, they feel rushed and unpolished. 

By the time 1995 came around I was a PlayStation fan, and still am to this very day. And Doom had been ported to the PlayStation console. I was once again totally blown away by this incarnation of Doom, in fact, I was outright terrified. The cold desolate moonbase of Phobos and Deimos had taken on a more gloomy and foreboding appearance. The lighting, the sfx, the delightfully haunting ambient score proved by Aubrey Hodges really pulled me in. I had been dragged to depths of hell that I didn't know existed.

My opinion about Final Doom is this, I think there is a lot good and bad mixed in both TNT and Plutonia. I prefer the PSX version of Final Doom because it's a collection of some of the best maps from it, plus the Master Levels. Although I will say that I think Plutonia makes for a better Doom II. (Yes I'm aware the mappers based their works on many Doom II maps). 

I had first learned of Doom 64 through GamePro. 1997 was an interesting year for me, but my main obsession was getting my hands on this newest Doom. The first time I played Doom 64 was at this locally owned and operated movie/video game place. I asked if I could try out Doom 64. I popped the cartridge into the N64 console and watched the opening title sequence and felt my heart racing. Soon I started a new game and found myself in the Staging Area holding a pistol. The long forgotten relay station on Mars was no longer abandoned, instead it was infested with eldritch demon horrors from beyond the stars. To my left and to my right were the reanimated remains of my fallen comrades who were now thirsty for my blood. I quickly put them out of their misery, but the gunfire drew the attention of more undead soldiers. Quickly dispatching them with the shotgun I found on the floor I stopped and listened for any more wheezing sounds of the undead. All I could hear was the haunting ambiance provided once again by Aubrey Hodges, whose work has found it's way into my heart.  Soon a hidden maintenance door zipped upwards and a wet, snuffling, gurgling roar emitted from behind me. I spun around and was ambushed by the familiar bullpig demon who seemed even more terrifying now. Needless to say it gnawed my face off. Soon I found myself going home with my very own copy of Doom 64. I think nowadays Doom 64 is my favorite of the bunch for a multitude of reasons.

When it comes to the Newfangled Doom, I have to say that I adore these games. Yes they're different from their progenitors but so what? To me they still capture what made the originals so great. I think Doom 3 is a great game, to me it feels like running through a haunted mansion which I love! And Doom 2016 is like Doom 3 on steroids with a special focus on the action.

Overall the Doom series is long lived and will continue into the future in one form or another. The series has earned a special place in my heart it will keep that spot.

All Doom games are great games, I believe is one of those few games that will never be forgotten. Long live Doomguy.