Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
galileo31dos01

Dreaming with Doom (?)

Yeah another random question I can't get off my mind. Have you ever dreamed with Doom? Whether it's playing it, living in it, nightmares, any random thing like a Caco-meteor shower... Anything you might want to share.

I know this is a very weird question but I had my own Doom dreams, and it's funny because if I want to I can make a custom 32-levels pwad with all of my Doom dreams lol (despite my lack of doombuilder and stuff  knowledge).

Maybe I can share a couple so any of you can have ideas for your custom maps, idk.

Last night I dreamed about running around E1M4 (Command Control) but all the textures were replaced with pepperoni pizzas. There was also giant Papa John's heads floating around spitting garlic knots at me.

A long time back I dreamed I was in Left 4 Dead, but instead of a Tank, a cyberdemon was chasing us. That's as close as it gets.

Yes, all the time since 2008. I always have good dreams/nightmares with Doom. If I tell you all of them, you.would fall asleep.

12 minutes ago, Gerardo194 said:

Yes, all the time since 2008. I always have good dreams/nightmares with Doom. If I tell you all of them, you.would fall asleep.

And dream with your stories haha, come on share a couple!

I dream about Doom occasionally. esselfortium and dobu gabu maru have made cameos in my dreams. Around a year and a half ago, essel was designing a map in some amazingly advanced form of 3D mode where it was like everything was REAL. Like, imagine carving out a brick wall to inset a light or something -- instead of the material being highlighted and sliding back or something, you'd see the bits of brick fizzle away and evaporate into the air. Not in a canned animation either, it was a hybrid of magic and real-world physics. She was very deft with it, and I silently paid attention, hoping to get better at mapping. Dobu, more recently, was talking with me on a Skype chat, and he was really cool, like a movie star, and he and his girlfriend were very good looking, and I'm not exactly sure why it was Dobu because that little chapter of my dream wasn't Doom related, but I knew it was Dobu. The weird thing One of the weird things about my dreams about people on the internet is that I don't know what they really look like, so they end up with fully realized appearances that might just as well be random people. But dream me just knows, as if it's a mundane matter of fact, who they are. Essel did not have an appearance though, which makes it all the weirder; I just knew that whoever was operating this hyper-advanced map editor was sl4tm. I've had other Doom dreams, where, like, abstract gggmorky Doom levels and "real life" bleed into one another, and there are cyberdemons and stuff just waltzing around in weird environments and I'm not even scared because apparently that is totally normal, but the people dreams have been the most memorable. 

Edited by rdwpa

Once in a while, like right before I wake up, I'll dream of some map ideas that I'll have to work on or draw or I'll forget it. Several Hocusdoom maps started that way.

1 hour ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

You do make good maps already. Or are these dreams more about inspiration?

My dream maps are always better than my real maps. :(

(well except the last dream I had involved the map being huge and architecturally beautiful, but unplayable because rockets would fall vertically down from the sky after a short time and kill all the players who were on it)

One time I had a rather disturbing dream where it's as if I were actually in the game and this was before I had ever played Brutal Doom but I had heard of it so I didn't know what the mod was really like. Basically everything was really gory and I felt like I could even smell the dying demons and stuff. It was horrible and terrifying TBH, so much so I actually woke up sick. That really fucked me up for that whole day.

I've played Brutal Doom since then and never had a dream like that again, since I really didn't care for playing it after I saw what it was really like. Good 'ol classic Doom is where it's at and usually those dreams are always kick ass.

On a lighter note, sometimes I have dreams about maps to make or come up with ideas like what @rf` said.

5 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

My dream maps are always better than my real maps. :(

Oh no...

Here, have a "virtual hug", because I like your maps. :-)

I really wish I'd dream about mapping at some point. Would help me with that blockade I have going since days. I think in that sense, you can still consider yourself fortunate. Right?

Hiya!

Yup. Not very often...maybe once every 7 or so years (I think I've had 3, to date). Last one was about 4 years ago, maybe 5. Yeah, I remember it...because it was fucking AWESOME! :D

Nutshell version: I was with 4 marines, one of which was my wife (a sexy redhead with green-blue eyes if you must know; and yeah, she looked hot in 'doom combat armor' *drool*  ...ahem...anyhoo....). We were in some secret base on mars (orange/red sky). It was all dark, brown, metals with yellow lighting. A big 'hall/room' with wide steps. Tall and skinny open windows displayed the sky on one side. We had pinkies rushing us and we opened up with mini-guns and shotguns. One marine got torn to shreds, others were mauled, my wife got chewed on, I pulled out a super shotgun and started up-close blasting. We took them out but we heard more coming from behind us, up at the top of the wide stairs into the room. Someone was trying to get a silver door to open (it was stuck), and we turned to see a bunch of pinkies coming at us. Wifey whipped out a rocket launcher and let loose. We were holding them off but there were too many of them...if the door didn't open, we were soon to be demon chow. The familiar door opening sound indicated we could rush in through it. Everyone alive piled in, me last. I pulled out the chainsaw as one tried to come in at us...I remember the sound of the chainsaw and slurpy splourch sounds of cutting through flesh and bone, and the pinkies pain yell. Killed it, door closed. Looked around. Smallish room, high ceiling...then hiss of Imps and fireballs started coming at us from a hidden ledge way up high.  ...I woke up then. :(

It was a super vivid dream. I was absolutely terrified in it and woke up with my heart pounding and blood rushing and the feeling of adrenaline in my body (hence, waking up). A second later I was smiling ear to ear and thinking to myself "THAT was a fucking WICKED ASS DOOM DREAM!!". Loved every terrifying second of it.

Some Years ago i dreamed I was the leader from a group of Cacodemons, Arachnotrons and Imps... more I cant remember...

9 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

And dream with your stories haha, come on share a couple!

Well, long time ago I dreamt about I was at the table eating my cereal and when I lifted my spoon to eat, there were a Cacodemon on it, it was smiling and was all covered of milk, so I opened my mouth and I ate it and Its blue blood suddenly poured from my mouth. After that I woke up.

Another dream I had long time ago when I only played Snes Doom in 2008, it was all black, then my eyes opened and there was the status bar as seen in the snes version and I started over a pedestal(square altar) surrounded by health and armor bonuses, the walls were grey and there were some pillars in the main hall, it looked like a temple. The first thing I did was walking around those pillars and I saw two shotgun guys and a plnky demon waiting for me and damn, I woke up! years later that same pedestal or altar I found it in Doom 64 in level 12 (Altar of Pain) where the unmaker is found.

I will tell more about my dreams later. 

Have a good day.

When I was young, I used to have very intense dreams about being in a Doom level that was too hard for me. When I got too scared to continue, I would bring up the menu and quit the game, usually while being surrounded or shot by a lot of shotgunners. "Quitting" the game in the dream would usually wake me up. I also remember them taking place in E1M4, in the big room with the blue key in the middle. Fun stuff.

Many, many years ago, I had much free time and trained for a DoomMaster - DHT. For about one week I played every official map (D/D2/FD/ML)
all day (&all nite) long on UV. When I went to sleep, I had typical gameplay dreams - evil monsters scaring me! Usually I woke up, when I tried
to dodge one of Cybie's  rockets but failed.
Nowadays I don't have these dreams any more, because I  never fail  don't have so much time to play...

(The only other game I had those gameplay-dream experiences was years later, when Q2 was published.
I guess this says a lot about decreasing gameplay quality over the years.... )

I can only recall two doom related dreams.

The first one i was very young, and i hadn't played the game yet (let alone seen it in action), but i had a game magazine that had a guide for the snes doom port, it had lots of screens, pictures of all the maps in the classic black and red color scheme, and a cyberdemon picture featured prominently. I had this weird dream that i was in the game but it looked all black and red with some yellow(kinda like a virtual boy FPS), and i was opening doors everywhere until suddenly a door opened and the cyberdemon emerged from it and started to chase me, and i just panicked until i woke up in fear.
The other one was... similar, back when doom 3 was new, i couldn't play it because i had a crap computer (and i got stuck with it for quite some years) but i was really fascinated with the strong horror overtones it had, and how people claimed that it was one of the scariest games ever. During that time i had this nightmare were i was forced to play the game while all of my friends looked at me playing the game. While i was playing i realized that the game truly was the scariest thing ever, and i was just constantly begging for it to stop. It really was quite the nightmare since i can't recall any other dream that left me with that same sense of fear and terror and i experienced it quite vividly despite the fact that i was dreaming that i was playing a game.

Aside from those two, i can't recall any other doom related dream. Odd how in both instances i hadn't really played their respective game

4 hours ago, DMPhobos said:

and the cyberdemon emerged from it and started to chase me, and i just panicked until i woke up in fear.

I feel empathy with you, in my experience it was a sort of Doom dream, except in my case I was in an abandoned bulding, I got to 8th floor, it was sort of a launch room, obviously I felt the presence of a monster, ok a few steps and a huuuuge pile of orange mud was peeking out a door, the growling was like a drunk cyberdemon, I eventually run away before I got to see it's eyes... oh god I panicked so much that I hid in a closet covering my eyes with my hands... then other people appeared so it was safe to come out, I wished I woke up earlier but that was traumatic for me

Two dreams (nightmares actually):

The first one was when I was 3. A bunch of imps were chasing me, and I wanted to open the pause menu to stop playing. But even though the menu opened, the game didn't pause, and of course by doing that I lost control over Doomguy, and I started taking a shower of fireballs! This was absolutely terrifying for 3 year old me.

The second one was recently. I was lost in a level where all the rooms were identical to each other, and it was infested with troopers. I couldn't find the exit, and the enemies were too wimpy to take me out of my misery.

Now that I think about it, I once had a dream where I was in a haunted house, and a creepy skeleton wanted to kill me. But then, I grabbed a plasma gun and absolutely slaughtered it! Most satisfying dream ever.

I first played doom as a tiny, tiny child, so it's been appearing in my dreams for a long time now.

I have a recurring dream where I start playing episode 3 of doom 1, and every level is unrecognisable, just a series of deserted, gloomy red rooms, with this eerie feeling of wrongness about it. But in the dream I think this is just how it's supposed to be, this is the correct E3, and I remember playing it before.

10 hours ago, Pavera said:

When I was young, I used to have very intense dreams about being in a Doom level that was too hard for me. When I got too scared to continue, I would bring up the menu and quit the game, usually while being surrounded or shot by a lot of shotgunners. "Quitting" the game in the dream would usually wake me up. I also remember them taking place in E1M4, in the big room with the blue key in the middle. Fun stuff.

Lucky. Some of my anxiety dreams involve me being in a game I can't quit, like the Quit option starts a new game or just outright doesn't work.

Funnily, many of them involve being in an early Duke level like E1L2, with a Cycloid Emperor bearing down on me.

I once dreamt of a humanic penetration interaction

I once dreamed that a giant baron of hell with pulsating yellow veins was attacking my town.

14 hours ago, Tracer said:

I once dreamed that a giant baron of hell with pulsating yellow veins was attacking my town.

Giant pink, fleshy skin riddled with pulsating yellow veins.

Kink level: Demonic.

yes, actually, i did have a dream about doom once!

basically, i started out at an entrance surrounded by lava, went in, and shot a bunch of zombies.

...and the rest of the dream had nothing to do with doom.

I wouldn't be suprised if I had Doom dreams, but I don't know because I never remember any of my dreams at all.

Yeah, I've even written an unpublished short story about one of them. To avoid it being fan fiction and keeping it within my copyright, I've had to change the Doomy things into not Doomy things. But the story is born from a dream.

Uhh... sometimes I can draw out a Doom map from a dream I had. Somehow I never dream about twisting halls or looping halls, all the constructions in my dreams are valid and stable, so it happens.

I remember once in a fever dream I played a reaaaaallly bad map with terrible gameplay and textures, frankly, it was incredibly shitty.

Here is how it goes (thank god for my diary):

You start in a infinitely tall room (or just super tall, this port didn't had freelook), but rather small one in terms of width and length, I think around... Hold on, I'll draw it down, it was shitty anyways so it won't take long.

Spoiler

sshitdreamm.PNG.9023442611c65c94b68846ad75be3521.PNG

Just pick some incredibly bad texture ripoffs of pictures and apply.

You start with a yellow pistol like thingy with 3-2 bullets that do shit-to-no damage.

In that blood pool would be some comically serious shark looking thingy with bulged out eyes twitching super fast, kind of like "swimming" in that pool, unable to rise any further and ascend to one of these platforms. It would rip you a big one in sense of health, and I had to time out when could I run through the pool without being stopped and killed like a lil' bitch. Once you get into that stupid hallway you get mobbed by zombies, like zombies from "X of the Living Dead", only badly drawn, and with shitty flashing sprites.

I fired two shots and the gun DROPPED. Like I saw the sprite on the floor.

I went back to the starting platform, realised there were no bullets or health pickups, and went back to fisticuff with the zombies.

Only I didn't had any fists, so they just killed me.

AND THEN, I woke up in another nightmare, but from there it descends into crazy depressive "kill-urself-plox" land and just bringing this up makes me triggered. I will now need to do something super-productive and listen to metal while at it and praise the sun or something, to ease up.

Thanks for tolerating my shit.

Last night I had a dream where I played Doom and found a stock level which was set in a gorgeous-looking outdoors scenery. Giant, realistic hills, complex lighting etc. I was amazed at how had ID managed to accomplish this without visplane overflows.